École James R. Henderson
Friday, December 11th, 2020
It is hard to believe that there is only one week left until the holidays! Some important reminders:
Virtual Elementary School Families:
- Families whose children are attending the Virtual School may email Mme Peart (email@example.com) to sign up for an after school appointment to get their picture taken on Wednesday, December 16th between 3:30 and 5:15. You may also pick up your child's Henderson Hawks t-shirt at this time.
- We will be accepting donations of non-perishable food items for the Partners in Mission Food Bank until Monday morning. Merci à Mme Goddard et les 6ièmes pour avoir tout organisé! Et merci aux familles pour votre générosité.
- Our "Mom's Pantry" fundraiser is still going strong! Enjoy shopping for tasty products that will be delivered right to your door. Online catalogue and ordering information below.
- It is not too late to register as a voter for the "Holiday Lights Contest!" This creative fundraiser will allow you to enjoy some friendly community rivalry, and beautiful light displays in our neighbourhood.
- Don't forget to send a photo of one of your family celebrations to Mrs. Davey for our special slide show! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please continue to use the COVID screening tool every day. Do not send your child/ren to school if they have any of the symptoms described, and follow the directions from Public Health. We appreciate your ongoing support in keeping our school as safe as possible.
There was some incredible learning happening at school this week:
- At our Staff Meeting on Monday, teachers in Grades K-3 participated in professional learning around using i-pads to have students document their own learning, as well as about some excellent coding apps. We just purchased new i-pads so that all of our Primary classrooms have at least 5, and are very excited to see them in action! Teachers in Grades 4-8 spent time with our Equity and Inclusion consultants, discussing how we can work with our students to create a school community where everyone knows how to recognize and stand up to racism, homophobia and sexism. Part of our plan moving forward will be to use a variety of mentor texts with students to stimulate conversation, questions and a deeper understanding of the role that we all play in making our school and community a safe space for all.
- Indigenous Knowledge Keeper Tim Yearington came to teach a number of our Junior and Intermediate classes about the Medicine Wheel. Students and teachers learned about how we are all connected to each other and to nature, and how the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual parts of ourselves interact to keep us feeling balanced and well. Mr. Yearington talked about how the four generations (child, youth, adult, elder) must talk to, listen to and support each other to help create a healthy and positive community. We loved his belief in having a "Attitude of Gratitude", and work to recognize, value and appreciate the contributions and importance of the Earth and all of the plants, stones, animals and people who share it. We hope to welcome Mr. Yearington back to our school in the new year so that other classes can participate in his teachings.
- Students of all grade levels are showing their skill and progress as authors during Writer's Workshop sessions: from the beginning phases of drawing and labeling pictures with familiar letters and sounds, to using authentic purposes for writing (recipes, persuasive letters to Admin, thank you notes to special staff) to revising and polishing writing to share with others...we have been so impressed and delighted with the writing that we have seen this week!
- Many classes are spending time learning about the traditions, cultures and celebrations that are special to the diverse families within our communities. We have listened to some wonderful read-alouds and discussions and seen some fantastic works of art that give everyone a chance to learn about and celebrate our differences.
- We continue to see students of all ages participating actively in Math Talks: the opportunity to share mathematical thinking, and listen to how other friends solved the same problem in a different way is so beneficial to creating confident mathematicians!
Socks, socks, socks!
Our playground is a very energetic and very muddy place these days! Please send extra socks with your child/ren, as well as a change of pants, underwear, and shirt for those muddy moments....it will prevent us from having to call home to request a change of clothing!
A huge thank you to our Parent Council: our Henderson Hawks t-shirts for all students arrived today! We will let the t-shirts 'quarantine' for 3 days, and then will have classroom teachers distribute them to students (using appropriate hand hygiene/glove protocols). Next Friday is pyjama day, but it would be great for all of the students to wear their new t-shirt as their pyjama top! What a great way for us all to feel together and connected.
A very Happy Hanukkah to all of our families who celebrate the Festival of Lights! We wish you a joyful celebration with your loved ones.
Have a wonderful weekend, Hawks. Please continue to follow Public Health guidelines to keep your family safe and healthy.
Mme Peart & Mrs. Davey
COVID-19 Daily Active Screening
COVID-19 Screening Tool
Parents and caregivers must review the following checklist with their child/student before sending them to school each day and before putting them on a school bus. You will find the most up to date screening tools on the LDSB Website: https://www.limestone.on.ca/cms/One.aspx?portalId=352782&pageId=28780697
Monday December 7th-Monday December 14th: Support the Partners in Mission Food Bank by sending in non-perishable food donations
Wednesday, December 16th: Fancy Socks Day!
Wednesday, December 16th & Thursday December 17th: Picture Day (info below)
Wednesday, December 16th: 3:30-5:15 Pictures for students in Virtual School (email email@example.com to book your time slot!)
Friday, December 18th: Pyjama Day -- wear your new hawks t-shirt with your pjs!
December 19th-January 3rd: Winter Holidays
Holiday Lights Contest Fundraiser Information
Holiday Lights Contest Fundraiser
Sign up here: https://bit.ly/3eWXcQk
We are asking Henderson families (including teachers, extended family and neighbours) to participate along with Module de l’Acadie and Frontenac Secondary School in the Holiday Light Contest Fundraiser in one (or more) of the following ways:
1. Pay $10.00 to be a contestant in the Holiday Light Contest – decorate your house and submit your address by Sunday December 6 (you do not have to be Clark Griswold to be a contestant – we are looking for participants so we can create a tour); or
2. Pay $5.00 to be a “J.R. Henderson” voter in our Holiday Light Contest – on or after December 7 you will get a voter identification number and a list of the participating addresses.
Henderson currently has 37 voters and 5 donors and has raised $166.30. Don’t miss your chance to participate in this exciting new fundraiser and raise funds for the J.R. Henderson Parent Council!
For more details and to sign up please go to:
School Council Information/Mom's Pantry Fundraiser Information
Our next School Council meeting will be on January 14th, 2021 from 6:45-8:45. We anticipate that the meeting will be held virtually, and will send out information for parents & guardians who would like to join in January.
Picture Day Information
Picture Day is coming Wednesday, December 16 - Thursday, December 17 .
After Picture Day, order pictures on mylifetouch.ca using your Portrait ID and Access Code which can be found on your Picture Day order form.
Here is the class schedule for pictures:
Wednesday, December 16th:
Remote Learning Students:
Wednesday, December 16th 3:30-5:15. Please email Mme Peart firstname.lastname@example.org to book a time slot.
Thursday, December 17th
Fridays have been declared Henderson Hawk Pride Day!
We have decided that EVERY Friday will be a Henderson Hawks Spirit Day! On Fridays, slip on some green and yellow clothing, footwear or accessories, and show how proud you are to be a Hawk!
Families who wish to purchase Henderson Hawks Spirit Wear: Check out all of the amazing clothing and accessories available at our École James R. Henderson School E-Store:
Stay up to date with LDSB Social Media!
LDSB Website https://www.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Twitter https://twitter.com/LimestoneDSB
LDSB Facebook https://tinyurl.com/wbhjtku
LDSB Instagram https://instagram.com/limestonedsb?igshid=1epyma6c0g5qd