Name of the subject Shigellosis aka shigella
Information on subject
The Shigella germ is actually a family of bacteria that can cause diarrhea in humans. They are microscopic living creatures that pass from person to person. Shigella were discovered over 100 years ago by a Japanese scientist named Shiga, for whom they are named. There are several different kinds of Shigella bacteria:Shigella sonnei, also known as "Group D" Shigella, accounts for over two-thirds of shigellosis in the United States. Shigella flexneri, or "group B" Shigella, accounts for almost all the rest. Other types of Shigella are rare in this country, though they continue to be important causes of disease in the developing world. One type found in the developing world, Shigella dysenteriae type 1, can cause deadly epidemics.
To avoid the suspect please take the following precaution
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Supervise small children when they wash their hands.
- Dispose of soiled diapers properly.
- Disinfect diaper-changing areas after use.
- Don't prepare food for others if you have diarrhea.