Too many boats, not enough fish!
By Hannah Walton, Jill Prechtel, and Emily Murphy
Is This A Tragedy? Yes.
- 63% of global fish stocks are now considered over fished.
- Over 70% of the world's marine species are endangered.
- 90% of the top predatory fish have disappeared.
- We have enough boats for 3 planets, but we only have 1.
- Some vessels can catch up to 3,000 tons of fish in just one trip.
Large Predatory Fish, Where Did They Go?
Things We Can Do To Help
The biggest thing we can do is raise awareness of this problem. Most people don't know that so many populations of fish are going extinct. We can also make new laws enforcing how much people can fish. We could make safe havens where it is illegal to fish in those certain areas. All of these could help rebuild the oceanic ecosystem. Another solution could be to start fishing days for bodies of water. For instance make a rule enforcing that people should fish only on Tuesdays and Saturdays.