Week at a Glance
I have had a busy, but great spring break so far! I spent some time with my family for the Easter holiday. Lily, my niece's daughter who was born in January, is getting sooooo big! It is amazing how quickly babies grow. She has such a pleasant personality and loves to be around people.
My other niece brought her boyfriend to our Easter dinner. Hmmmmm . . . wondering if there will be wedding bells in the future. :0) He's a great guy. Andrew and Kaylin go to school together. He is studying computer science and loves all things tech. Kaylin and Andrew met where they both work--sound and lighting at the IWU event center. I'm headed to IWU at the end of this week for Kaylin's senior art show. Senior show? Yep. Kaylin is graduating in December, a whole semester early. Not sure how she is able to do that with a double major and working two jobs. She is such a hard worker!
My bedroom and bathroom redecorating is finally done. I spent several days painting my bedroom and bathroom, hanging new wall art, etc. I have lots of natural woodwork in my house so I also cleaned that with good 'ole Murphy's oil soap. It feels good to have those projects done. In between the raindrops and the snowflakes I also got a good start on spring clean up outside. I found that thistle grows even when there is snow on the ground. What a stubborn weed. I just have one more mulch bed to clean up and then the spring/summer planting can begin. Whoo hoo! I am ready to do some gardening.
I hope you each are enjoying some time with your family and friends! Enjoy these last few days of break!
- ISTAR testing begins--Lucinda's class
- 7:30 a.m.--whole group collaboration--See agenda sent out prior to break.
- 8:30 a.m.--Meet with Kari?
- 9:00 a.m.--meet with Stacia
- 3:00 p.m.--PD planning meeting--Karen @ ENCO
- 6:00-7:30 p.m.--archery practice
- 7:30 a.m.--PBIS team meeting in conference room
- 8:30 a.m.--admin. meeting--Josh & Karen at ENCO
- 2:50 p.m.--meeting--K-2 teachers & Karen in conference room
- 2:50 p.m.--RTI meeting--Grades 5 & 6
- 7:30 a.m.--NEU meeting
- 8:00 a.m.--case conference--Mary, Clea, & Karen
- 9:00 a.m.--data meeting--gr. 4, Kari, & Karen
- 9:30 a.m.--data meeting--gr. 2, Kari, & Karen
- 12:55 p.m.--data meeting--Kindergarten, Kari, & Karen
- 1:30 p.m.--data meeting--gr 5, Kari, & Karen
- 2:00 p.m.--data meeting--gr. 6, Kari, & Karen
- 6:00 p.m.--archery practice
- 6:00 p.m.--PAC meeting
- 8:00 a.m.--case conference--Jessica W., Chelsie, & Karen
- 8:30 a.m.--Submit Student of the Week nominations
- 9:00 a.m.--case conference--Janelle, Chelsie, & Karen
- 9:30 a.m.--Knight & Sgt. Dixon--locker/backpack search--Shelter in place when the all-call is made.
- 1:45 p.m.--gr. 4 puberty program
- 2:00 p.m.--meeting--Josh & Karen
- 3:30 p.m.--district PD--special education training
- 7:30 a.m.--gr. 3 data meeting
- 8:00 a.m.--case conference--Mary, Janelle, Chelsie, & Karen
- 9:00 a.m.--case conference--Janelle, Chelsie, & Karen
- 8:30 a.m.--progress report grades due
- 1:00 p.m.--case conference--Jessica W., Chelsie, & Karen
- 2:45 p.m.--case conference--Patrice, Jessica P., & Karen
- 3:30 p.m.--weekly notes due from art, music, & PE teachers
- 7:00 p.m.--TinCaps game!
- NEW STAFF: A warm welcome goes to Stacia Diggens and Jenny Mays! They are the two newest members of our staff. Stacia will be assuming the duties that Elizabeth had and Jenny is our new school nurse. Stacia's first day will be on Monday, April 11, and Jenny's first day will be Wednesday, April 13.
- TINCAPS GAME: I have not received the tickets for the TinCaps game yet, but will get those ready as soon as I do. I will send an announcement home to parents to let them know what day the tickets will be sent home and give them the option of picking them up in the school office if they wish. Let's hope we have good weather for the game!
- BLUE RIBBON INCENTIVE: I had hoped to do the Blue Ribbon incentive this week, but the week has been filled up with case conferences and other meetings. I will try for next week. Sorry about that!
- LOCKER/BACKPACK SEARCH: Just a reminder . . . when Sgt. Dixon and Knight are at WC conducting locker and/or backpack searches, we need to shelter in place. You are free to move about in classrooms, but no groups, classes, or individual students should be out in the hallway during the time of the search. The search typically does not last long. An announcement will be made at the start of the search as well as at the end via the PA system.
- ISTEP: The next round of ISTEP testing will begin on Monday, April 18. As in the past, we will run on a two-hour delay specials schedule on testing days. I will send out the schedule to you ASAP.
- APRIL ITEMS: Just a reminder that sixth grade has the front lobby display case for the month of April and that the NEU convo will be coordinated by Caitlin, Terri, and Kurt. :-)
During Monday's collaboration time we will shore up our list of adult responsibilities. (Please see email sent out prior to spring break.)
Defining what adult responsibilities are will clarify our role in preventing problem behaviors from occurring in key locations throughout our school. The adult responsibilities should include: active supervision (moving about, scanning locations, & interacting with students), prevention of problem behaviors, promoting positive relationships with students, provision for acknowledgement of and correction of behaviors, and consistency among staff when working with our students. Active supervision of students is one key factor to keep in mind when defining adult responsibilities.
I am attaching a sample list of adult responsibilities shared with the PBIS leadership team through the Learning Connections forum. Many items on the list are the same/similar to what we have. :-)