Head Start to Employment
Teaching Soft Skills to Tomorrow's Workforce
Teaching Customer Service Skills
In February our focus is on Customer Service. Good Customer Service boils down to treating others as we would like to be treated. As simple as this sounds, there are many facets to good Customer Service that are fundamental to growing our economy. Attributes of Customer Service include Kindness, Honesty, Clear Communication Skills, Patience, Tenacity, a Willingness to Learn, Attentiveness, Empathy, Taking Responsibility, Listening Skills, and Conflict Resolution Skills. With the ever increasing advances in technology,Computer Proficiency is also viewed as being a skill that is essential to good Customer Service.
If we are going to make a positive impact on the NC economy, we need to give added focus to the fundamentals of Customer Service. The Head Start curriculum embraces the attributes of Customer Service. The challenge is to consistently teach and reinforce those skills that establish the foundation for good Customer Service.
Support for the Parents of Head Start Children
If you know parents or guardians of your students who are either unemployed or underemployed, they will need strong soft skills to be competitive in today's labor market. WIA Career Facilitators employed by the Northwest Piedmont Workforce Development Board are able to help unemployed and underemployed individuals to improve their skills so that they will be more employable. WIA Career Facilitators promptly follow up on all referrals.
The services of the WIA Career Facilitator are free. It only takes an investment of time to explore career opportunities. To make a referral or for more information you may contact any of the following Career Facilitators:
- Forsyth County - (Mon-Fri) Ralph Barnes, (336) 776-6720
- Davie County - (Tue & Wed) Bonita Roseboro (336) 751-3315 ext. 207
- Elkin City - (Wed) Barbara Scott, (336) 526-2144
- Rockingham County - (Mon-Fri) Sherry Marsh (336) 634-5600
- Stokes County - (Tue) Barbara Scott, (336) 983-3868
- Stokes County - (Tue & Wed) Karina Diaz (336) 591-4074
- Surry County - (Mon-Fri) Stephanie Presnell (336) 904-0328
- Surry County - (Mon-Fri) Amber Tankersley, (336) 786-4169 ext. 218
- Surry County - (Mon & Thu) Barbara Scott, (336) 786-4169
- Yadkin County - (Mon-Fri) DeAnna Hall, (336)-679-4079
Additional information can be found on the link to the Northwest Piedmont Workforce Development Board's website.
- Goody's: FRONT LINE STAFF NOW HIRING (AT GOODY'S) 599 BETHESDA ROAD. We are looking for individuals who are honest, willing to work and enjoy working with the public. Our hours of operation are: 6:30 am to 8:30 pm Monday thru Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm Saturday Closed Sunday Applications are accepted between 2:00 pm- 5:00 pm. M-F NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE Individuals must apply in person. Goody's Restaurant is located off of Stratford Rd across from Bo Ty Florist and First Citizens Bank at: 599 Bethesda Road Winston-Salem, NC 27103
- Haute Chocolate: Do you have a working knowledge of food. We use a variety of spices in our chocolates, so any knowledge of flavors will be beneficial. You are able to lift over 20lbs. You have a FLEXIBLE schedule. Meaning that you are available not only during the hours that we are open, but also during the days that we are closed. You MUST be able to close the shop at least one night a week. * You are great at customer service. You take initiative to clean your work space and assist in the back when asked. You can help with/work offsite events and weddings. You have reliable transportation. If you meet the above requirements, please send a resume and introduction, or bring your resume in person to Haute Chocolate: 916 Burke Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101. Interviews will be started on Monday, January 27th at 11am.
- Sixth and Vine: Upscale downtown restaurant looking for a full time nighttime host. This would be as many as 5 days a week, evenings and possibly Sunday brunch. Must come and fill out an application in person, please no emails and no phone calls. We accept applications Tuesday through Friday 2-4pm. Experience would be nice but not absolutely necessary. If you are eager to work and learn in a professional environment then please come by! We would be happy to meet you! Sixth and Vine 209 W Sixth Street, Winston Salem, NC
- Kelly Services is looking for Material Handlers for our customer in Kernersville. Material handler- hanging parts on line to be painted. It would be necessary to be able to lift a max of 40 pounds. Manufacturing Experience a must. Interested individuals apply at: www.kellycareernetwork.com
- Applebee's: Come join our crew. Need experienced line cooks for national chain. We over flexible hours competitive starting pay rates and a comprehensive training program. Interested applicants should click on the link below and fill out an application. Be sure to select Clemmons as the location that your applying for! www.myapplebeesjob.com Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
- The Fox and Hound: We are an up-scale, social gathering place with sports entertainment, full service food and beverage, and state-of-the- art audio/visual systems. We are looking for energetic individuals who will thrive in a "Fast-Paced Environment". The Fox and Hound is full of opportunities and excitement. We provide competitive wages, flexible work schedules and optional Health, Dental/Vision, Term-Life, and Short-Term Disability insurance plans. Currently hiring for Servers Please apply in person Sunday - Thursday from 2pm-4pm at: The Fox and Hound 367 Lower Mall Dr. WS 27103
- Machine Shop: PT/FT Driver/Machine Operator wanted. Must have clean driving record. Call between 9 & 4. Rebb Industries, Yadkinville (336) 463-2311
- Experienced Cleaners: Hiring Part Time for Experienced Cleaners, in Yadkinville, contact (336)972-4326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org