23rd District PTA in May!
STAY UP-TO-DATE ON PTA IN RIVERSIDE COUNTY!
You've Almost Made it Through the Year - Congratulations!
Happy May, Riverside County PTA and PTSA Leaders!
With only two and half(ish) months until the end of term, we are in the home stretch! Let's make sure we all do everything we can to set future elected leaders up for success for 2023-2024!
Transition to the board-elect is coming up fast! Check out this edition to get information on transitioning, upcoming training and more.
We're including current leaders and future leaders on newsletters through the end of the term to help facilitate transition.
Don't forget - PTA is about making it better - someone's life is better because you're in it, and we'll continue making it better every day!
You are receiving this newsletter because as a PTA leader in Riverside County (Council or Unit), you are a part of the 23rd District PTA family.
Reach out to us for help: Help@23rdDistrict.org
Find support on our website: www.23rdDistrict.org
Join us on Facebook: 23rd District PTA
PARLIAMENTARY QUESTION: IS IT IN ORDER TO MAKE A MOTION TO CHANGE CHECKSIGNERS?
The answer to this question is no. The authority of checksigners is tied to the position as dictated in the bylaws, not to the individual, therefore the act of election is what is required to transfer the authority. A motion to change checksigners outside of election not only isn't in order; it technically is not legal, because no motion may supersede the bylaws.
Instead of a motion to change checksigners, make sure all elected officers are listed in the minutes by position and the the first and last name of the officer. Then the secretary can include verbiage similar to what you see below. Verbiage can be altered to allow for additional signers as listed in the bylaws. Remember, only those officers listed in the bylaws can serve as checksigners:
"This action of election hereby stipulates that the authority of all currently authorized signatories on the (Name of PTA/PTSA) accounts is hereby revoked as of (date and time; for example: June 30, 2023, 11:59 P.M.). The Association of (Name of PTA/PTSA) hereby elects and appoints (President name) and (Treasurer name) acting together, as the primary (or only) authorized signatores on such accounts as are owned and managed by the (Name of PTA/PTSA), effective (date and time; for example, July 1, 2023; 12:00 A.M.), in accordance with the unit bylaws. For clarity, two signatures of financial officers (list names of checksigners as elected and listed in the bylaws) are required on every check written against such accounts."
This verbiage in the minutes, plus your bylaws, tells the bank everything they need to know to make the transition of checksigners easy!
It's that time - The Final Association Meeting of the Term!
We KNOW this is cutting it close, but we have some very important business to handle! (Please see listing below)
Presidents are our delegates, and we must make quorum to vote! We will be:
- Adopting proposed bylaws changes as listed
- Adopting a preliminary budget
- Releasing preliminary funds
- Providing information on upcoming programs and events, and
- Saying good-bye to the 2021-2023 executive committee and welcoming the 2023-2025 executive committee!
Don't Miss Out!
When: Thursday, June 22, 2023 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Have questions? Need help? Reach out to us at Help@23rdDistrict.org
Proposed Bylaws Changes:
- Addition of Executive Vice President position
- Addition of Executive Vice President position as a checksigner
- Change of Status: Adjustment from seven councils to six
Rationale: District bylaws are required to be renewed every two years - odd years for odd-numbered councils. This was required for Twenty-Third District this year. The addition of the Executive Vice President was intended to more evenly distribute the leadership work between the President, Executive Vice President, and Vice President of Leadership Services.
Get Ready for 2023-2024 - Summer Leadership Training Registration is OPEN!
We invite you to join us for an in-depth, in-person training opportunity for our amazing parent leaders in Riverside County!
Join us for a day of training, meeting 23rd District leaders, and more!
Breakfast and lunch will be served for all attendees - and this event is FREE!
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2023
Time: 8:45 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Check-in begins at 8:00 A.M.
- Focus on Finance (General Finance)
- Programs and Ways & Means
- Presidential Practices
- Treasurer Training
- Secretary Success (and Historians, too!)
- Fantastic Financial Reviews
- Making Membership Magic
- PTA for All
- Parliamentary Procedure
Click on this link to register today!
Registration closes at 6:00 P.M. on June 9, 2023.
Drop-in attendees are welcome; however, meals and materials are not guaranteed.
Transition is coming! NEW OFFICERS TRANSITION INTO OFFICE JULY 1! MAKE SURE YOUR UNIT IS PREPARED!
What can you do to help prepare for transition?
- Elections are REQUIRED! Make sure officers-elect are registered with your Council leaders or via MyPTEZ. Per the Toolkit ("Running Your PTA, pp.R16), elections should occur by no later than the second week in April. If your unit or council is struggling with elections or needs support - we are here to help!
Remember, PTA is a business, and its officers are required by law to be on record. The following items are required for officers:
- President*: Name, Address, Email, Phone Number
- Treasurer*: Name, Address, Email, Phone Number
- Secretary*: Name, Email, Phone Number
- All other officers: Name, Email, Phone Number
* These officers are required for an operational PTA.
- Make sure your records are in order! Financial records, minutes, and procedure books (in whatever iteration your procedure books and past plans come in!) all need to be ready to pass on!
Don't hand over a mess; set up your board-elect for PTA success!
Remember, our goal is to leave it better than we found it, so that the next group of leaders can continue our good work - making it better for children and families.
- Reach out for help if you need it! We have phenomenal Council leaders in Riverside County, all of whom are ready and willing to help support their units in whatever ways possible. If your unit is out-of-council and needs support, reach out to us at 23rd District! We are here to help you - you have support, don't be afraid to reach out! You can reach us directly via Help@23rdDistrict.org
Council/Unit Annual Historian Reports are DUE NOW!
We do what we do out of sheer love, but it's always important to illustrate the extraordinary value our work holds - and the Annual Historian Report is one of the ways we make that happen!
Just because we haven't been on campus, doesn't mean that we aren't working - every hour counts! In fact, you'll even estimate the hours you'll spend working through the end of the year! Calculate all of those hours, including your estimated hours, and include them in your report. A great way to illustrate the investment of PTA in student success is to calculate the value of those estimated hours and share both hours and dollar value with your principals and school boards!
Make sure you send those reports through channels - to your Council if in-Council, or right to us if Out-of-Council.
Reports are attached!
Send Council and OOC Unit Reports to Help@23rdDistrict.org
Bylaws Submission Processes
In-council units should follow council processes with respect to preparing bylaws submissions. Out-of-Council units bylaws can approve proposed changes with the executive board, prepare a bylaws submission via the ebylaws system and submit via channels.
Please follow the process for your council, if in council, regarding submittal procedures.
We are hopeful that submitted bylaws will be returned quickly!
For incoming submittals (submitted digitally), please ensure that these steps are followed (or go to www.23rddistrict.org/bylaws). If all components are not received or submitted, bylaws cannot be processed or submitted to California State PTA:
►The saved document from e-bylaws does not have "draft" or "sample" on the cover.
►All changes are documented on a completed Bylaws Submittal Form
►The complete bylaws document and all standing rules are included
►Submit via Bylaws@23rdDistrict.org
Have questions for us? Please reach out via Bylaws@23rdDistrict.org
Riverside Countywide Summer 2023 Writing Challenge!
Twenty-Third District PTA and RCOE want to ensure that every child has the opportunity to read - every book can be a new adventure! Aligning with Dr. Gomez' Literacy by Fifth Grade priority, we are encouraging students to read and write during the summer. In fact, grades PK/TK - 3rd grade have the opportunity to not only have their stories placed in little libraries throughout the county, they could also win a Barnes and Noble Gift Card!
Find out more information by clicking this link: RCOE Summer Reading Challenge
Download Game Boards and Bilingual Flyers by clicking this link: Bilingual Game Boards
High School and Middle School PTSAs - Looking for Programs about Financial Literacy?
Keep these initiatives - and these fabulous opportunities - in mind as you plan for next year!
Welcome to our Family!
Welcome to our family - Extraordinary Explorers!
In the month of March, we were so happy to welcome the Extraordinary Explorers PTA!
Organized at Manuel L. Real Elementary in Val Verde Unified School District, this unit is out-of-council right now, but we've been working to help organize more units and we hope that we will get them a council soon!
Serving grades kindergarten - fifth grade, this brand-new PTA was organized on March 15, 2023 with 30 charter members!
Welcome to our family - Alamos Owls!
In the month of April, we were ecstatic to welcome the Alamos Owls PTA in Temecula Valley Council of PTAs!
Organized at Alamos Elementary in Temecula Valley Unified School District, this unit is ready to grow and thrive! They have fantastic leaders who are are going to make magic for kids every day!
Serving grades transitional kindergarten - fifth grade, this brand-new PTA was organized on May 5, 2023 with 22 charter members!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR PTA AND PTSA UNITS CHARTERED IN APRIL AND MAY!
Happy Birthday to our Units Chartered in April!
- 14 - Harada Elementary PTA
- 15 - Alberhill Elementary PTA
- 16 - Andrew Jackson Elementary PTA
- 17 - Susan B. Anthony Elementary PTA
- 21 - Van Buren Elementary PTA
- 22 - La Granada Elementary PTA
- 23 - John Adams Elementary PTA
- 24 - Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary PTA
- 24 - Eastvale Elementary PTA
- 25 - David A. Brown Middle PTSA
- 28 - VanderMolen PTA
Happy Birthday to our Units Chartered in May!
- 3 - Dr. Augustine Ramirez Intermedia School PTSA
- 4 - Katherine Finchy PTA
- 7 - Cesar Chavez Academy PTSA
- 8 - Santiago High School PTSA
- 10 - Lakeside High School PTSA
- 10 - Riverside STEM Academy PTSA
- 11 - Murrieta Mesa High School PTSA
- 14 - Rosa Parks PTA
- 14 - Vista Murrieta High School PTSA
- 15 - Daniel Buchanan Elementary PTA
- 15 - El Cerrito Middle School PTSA
- 15 - Monte Vista Elementary PTA
- 15 - Temecula Luiseno Elementary School PTA
- 16 - Todd Academy PTSA
- 17 - Foothill Elementary PTA
- 19 - Benjamin Franklin Elementary PTA
- 19 - Hawthorne Elementary PTA
- 20 - Great Oak High School PTSA
- 21 - Temescal Valley Elementary PTA
- 22 - Rice Canyon Elementary PTA
- 24 - Cawston Elementary PTA
- 24 - Jackson Elementary PTA
- 25 - Lincoln High School PTSA
- 27 - Clara Barton PTA
- 27 - Rancho Viejo PTSA
- 29 - Vail Elementary PTA
23rd District PTA - Contact Us Any Time!
Mailing Address38670 Sky Canyon Dr #200,
Murrieta, CA 92563