Pop Culture & Psychology
Q's to keep in mind.
How was the role of women in society in transition during post-war period?
-Women worked a lot more in factories that produced goods to fight the war
Describe the ideal woman according to Hollywood.
-Curvy, beautiful hair, cooks and cleans
What contrasting media images of femininity did the public receive during the post-war era?
-They were shown as hard workers that helped the war.
How might these images have affected Holden's, or any teenage boy's, perception of romantic interests?
-They might see women as a more wife material who will help out around the house
List the following popular or "best of" items from 1951:
-Barbies, Play-Doh, Mr. Potato Head
What kind of music were most people listening to?
-Swing, Jazz, and big band music
Who and what were they seeing in the movies?
-Godzilla,The Day the Earth Stood Still, Different Day. Top actors:John Wayne, Grace Kelly
How was psychiatry viewed within mainstream America in the early 1950's? Is this different from today?
- Spike in the amount of mental patients in the 50's. It was seen as a problem amongst civilians and people in the service. Now people are treated in humane ways compared to people being tortured in the 50's
- Gas cost 20 cents
- Color Television Introduced
- 1954 segregation becomes illegal
- 1955 Disneyland opens in California
- 1950 Charlie Brown is born
- First modern credit card introduced