September 2-6 2019
ONE WEEK DOWN!!!!
**REMINDER NO SCHOOL MONDAY 9/2**
Important Upcoming Dates
Grades 1 and 2 Curriculum Night: September 4
Grades 3 and 4 Curriculum Night: September 10
Picture Day: September 12 (rain date=September 13)
Harper Hoedown: September 22 (rain date= September 29th)
Book Fair: October 21-23
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL SEPTEMBER DAYS: September 2 & 30
Destination Imagination: Registration deadline is Friday, September 20th
Thank you, Harper faculty, staff, and parents, for helping us to begin the year on such a positive note. It was wonderful to welcome the children on Wednesday morning and their enthusiasm is contagious! Our New Parent Family night was well attended and we thank our PTO for their assistance. Similarly, the Kindergarten parents enjoyed their curriculum night event on Thursday evening. As noted above in "Upcoming Dates," we look forward to your attendance at our Curriculum Night events for Grades 1-4 in the coming weeks.
Enjoy the long Labor Day weekend! We’ll see your students on Tuesday, September 3rd.
Melanie Goffen Horowitz, Interim Principal
From the Wilmette Police Department
No cell phone use when in a school zone!
Do not enter Greenwood from Hunter during posted times
No parking in the drop off zones, not even for 5 minutes.
- Harper Hoedown! Please join us for some family fun! We will have fun for all ages with exciting games, bounce houses, slides and pop-a-shot, petting zoo, pony rides, face painting and more! New this year is a 50/50 raffle with 50% of the proceeds to benefit the Wilmette Food Pantry. Bring canned goods and get 5 prize tickets. Sunday, September 22nd from 11:30 am—2:30 pm. Tickets available in advance at http://www.harperpto.com/harper-hoedown
- Register for Harper Chorus today! Open to all 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Rehearsals are on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 7:50 am in the auditorium, starting September 10. Sign up HERE "When in doubt, sing out loud!"
- Yearbook needs your First Day of school photos. Please email your First Day pics to email@example.com. (These must have been taken on school grounds). Then go buy your yearbook for the early bird price of $23! (Remember to add your teacher's name)
- NEW THIS YEAR - HELP STOCK THE TEACHERS LOUNGE. Show our wonderful teachers and staff appreciation by keeping the lounge stocked all year. To make it really easy, items can be dropped off ANY TIME OF THE DAY/ ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (see sign up genius for more info, link below) and thanks for your help! Here is a link to the sign-up genius for those that want to volunteer items for the lounge. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4faea722a3f58-stock
- Harper Parent Social: SAVE THE DATE for the Harper Parent Social, November 1st. Come mix and mingle with fellow Harper Parents, this event will be held at the A.Perry Homes event space in downtown Wilmette. More information to come!
- The Harper Garden needs parent volunteers! No gardening experience or prep needed, plus it is a fun way to see your kids during recess. Just sign up, show up and feel free to bring little siblings! See sign up below.
- Help in the Cafeteria during lunch! The cafeteria runs smoothly and you can eat lunch with your child(ren). As in the past, please sign up using the link below. This year, lunch timings have changed slightly - 11:15am-12: 15 pm. Thank you for helping out - we are looking forward to a wonderful year!
- Birthday Books! Commemorate your child's birthday by donating a book to the Harper Library. The average cost of a new library book is $20 - after your payment has been received, your child will be able to select his / her book during Library time. A personalized bookplate placed inside the book will show everyone that your child has added this special book to the Harper library! Sign up here! http://harperpto.com/birthday-books/
- The Family Action Network (FAN) connects parents, educators, and professionals through collaborative programming that educates, inspires and positively impacts the broader community.
September FAN speakers:
Ibram X. Kendi, Ph.D. -- Sept. 6, 7:00 pm @ ETHS
Paul Tough -- Sept. 16, 7:00 pm @ NTHS, Northfield Campus
Emily Bazelon -- Sept. 26, 7:00 pm @ ETHS
All events are free and open to the public. For more information please see www.familyactionnetwork.net
Q: What is iGNITE!?
A: iGNITE! is our annual fundraiser at Harper (no wrapping paper or magazine sales required).
Q: What is the money used for?
A: The money is used to bring in guest speakers, scientist, and authors to enrich our children's curriculum.
It also provides funding for field trips (admission and transportation). Additionally, iGNITE! pays for our amazing crossing guards, teacher appreciation events and various beautification projects around the school.
Q: Is my donation tax-exempt?
Q: How do I donate?
A: 1. Donate Online Here: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper
PTO and include your child’s name on the check.
3. Pay with a Credit Card at the iGNITE! table present in the Harper Lobby during the Curriculum
Destination Imagination (DI) registration for Harper students is now open. Please register via this link - http://harperpto.com/next-stop-destination-imagination/
Registration deadline is FRIDAY, SEPT, 20th.
When a child registers, they will be charged $107 dollars. This covers DI team number/materials, tournament fee, district fee, and t-shirts. If a child is not placed on a DI team, they will be reimbursed the $107. The TM will have to collect a second payment from the parents to cover materials and a background check. (Background checks for one TM per team is a new requirement; the checks cost $28.) Second payment could be between $30-$90 per kid depending on the materials the team uses. Everyone should pay less than $200 for DI.
We are hosting 5 info sessions about DI. These sessions are for people who are new to DI. If you have done DI or attended a session before, you don’t have to go. Please invite anyone new to DI to attend these sessions. If any TM would like to come talk at one of these sessions, please let Emily Paris know.
There are five sessions to choose from, and all D39 parents are invited to all of them. Folks should choose the day/time/location most convenient for them
AM Info Presentations
Fri Aug 30th @ McKenzie 9-10am
Fri Sept 13th @ Highcrest 9:15-10:15am
PM Info Presentations
Tues Sept 3rd @ Harper 7-8pm
Thurs Sept 12th @ Central 7-8pm
Mon Sept 16th @ McKenzie 7-8pm
Questions, please reach out to Courtney Beagan, our Harper DI representative.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org