Quincy Elementary School
Where Mountain Kids Learn!!!
October 9, 2020
Ms. Brown's class working hard in the garden!
Quincy Elementary Return to School Survey
QES families- Please complete the survey for your child's school no later than Tuesday, October 13th.
QES Cougar Masks now available!
Adult and children sizes, and red or black options are available. Cost is $9.99 + shipping. This opportunity will be available through the end of October.
QES Pioneer Campus Notes
Greetings QES Pioneer Families!
We are all excited about our school board's decision to move to an am/pm model, allowing us to have students on campus in the am or pm. This adjustment will start October 26.. Distance learning and Independent Study are still options for families. If you haven't already, please fill out the survey indicating your preferences. (Link included in this newsletter.) Thank you!
Regarding students returning to campus, we will need to follow some rules:
* Students will need to wear a mask while on campus. A short mask break will be provided.
* Students will need to be screened daily while remaining in the car. (Screening questions are listed below.)
* Students will be in class for 2 hours & 40 minutes, and will also need to complete their independent/asynchronous learning when not in class.
* Breakfast and lunch bags will be provided as students are leaving. Please make sure they are fed prior to arriving on campus.
* Limited bus transportation will be available for the PM session.
* We will work hard to accommodate families with multiple children and do our best to put them in the same am or pm schedule.
* AM session will run from 8:10-10:50, and the PM session will run from 12:20-3:00.
* A new permission form will need to be signed prior to a child starting on campus.
* Fridays = am zoom check in session, followed by independent/asynchronous learning.
* Occasionally we may have to cancel classes if we cannot secure a substitute teacher.
Screening questions. We will be asking the following questions each day when students come on campus:
Have you or anyone in your household been within 6 feet of a person with a confirmed case COVID-19 for longer than 15 minutes in the past 14 days?
In the last 48 hours, have you, your children coming to school today, or anyone in your household experienced any of the following NEW symptoms?
Fever or fever symptoms
Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
Chills or repeated shaking
Loss of smell or taste, or a change in taste
Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
Unfortunately, if students have any of these symptoms, they have to be excluded from school for 10 days, unless they receive a negative Covid test or a doctor's note indicating the child can return to school after an evaluation determining their symptoms do not warrant a Covid test or exclusion. We are sorry for this inconvenience, and will continue to work closely with our public health officials to do our best to keep everyone safe.
Assembly each Friday. We will be hosting a quick assembly each Friday at 8:30 am. Ms. Wayson and I will deliver a quick message, and Ms. Barbara will spin the electronic wheel for students to win a little prize. All students who have been working hard all week and were able to attend all sessions are put on a wheel that will randomly spin and land on a student's name. Here's the zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/92973202076 Please wear your Red & Black Cougar colors every Friday. Thanks!
Friday Drive By Say Hi Distribution: K 12:00, 1st 12:15, 2nd 12:30, Independent Study & special classes 12:45. We have special guests most Fridays.
QES Alder Campus Notes
Hi there Cougar familes!
A note from the Principal
We, the staff, could not be happier about students returning to our campus on Monday, October 26th. Thank you to all of you who attended the Board meeting on October 7th and contributed to this decision. Working together as a community is what is best for famlies and kids and we appreciate the contributions of our parents and teachers as well as all of our community members toward a healthy community.
If you have chosen the AM/PM option for your student, it is important to prepare for what school will look like when we return, and also know that the students in our hubs have been following these rules with great success. Sometimes when we read about these rules, they might give us a sense of a loss of the freedom and joy that children experience at school and play. However, if you saw our kids on the playground, or the classroom, or the garden you would see happy students who are grateful to be learning with their teachers and peers. Putting a little distance between them or having them wear a mask cannot dampen their happiness when they are all together.
What are the rules? Students will wear masks at all times - including the playground and will maintain social distancing. If engaged in an organized activity outdoors in which social distancing can be maintained, then masks can come off.
If engaged in free play, the masks must stay on.
AM session 8:10-10:50, and asynchronous distance learning at home in the PM (no busing is available)
PM session 12:20-3:00 , and asynchronous distance learning at home in the AM (limited busing is available, with priority given to students who require special ed services, homeless and foster youth, and those who live in outlying areas without transportation. We will provide busing for as many students as possible, but our space avialable is very limited)
Schedule Friday will include a quick Zoom check around 8:30 and asynchronous learning at home.
Your Student Must have Up to Date Immunizations In Order to Return to Campus
Please support our wonderful student, teacher, and family
QES- Pioneer Weekly Drive By Say "Hi" Event
(K 12:00-12:15, 1st 12:15-12:30, 2nd 12:30-12:45, Special Programs 12:45-1:00, 1:00-2:00 office staff) for our Drive-By Say "Hi" Event. Come say "hi" to your teacher, turn in your completed work, pick up additional work and supplies.
Flu Vaccine Information
1. October 16th, 2020 - Drive-Thru at the Mormon (LDS) Church next to Plumas District Hospital at 55 Bellamy Lane. Enter: On Meadow Way off of Bucks Lake Road to Valley View Drive to Bellamy Lane. Do NOT enter onto Bellamy Lane from Buck's Lake Road.
2. October 19th, 2020 at Quincy JR/SR High School Parking Lot by the Gym. You will need to call Public Health at 283-6330 to schedule a time period within the Noon-2:00 PM time frame.
See the flyer below or contact Public Health for more information.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN PICK UP A LUNCH AT QUINCY HIGH SCHOOL OR QUINCY ELEMENTARY-PIONEER CAMPUS. THE TIME for pickup is anticipated to be 11:00-12:30
Details Concerning Food Service
- ALL meals are at no charge to families, we are still operating under CEP, and every enrolled student is eligible for one breakfast and one lunch for every calendar school day. However, we will be providing a way for families to preorder meals, and we will need to keep track of who receives them. This is a change from last year.
- All meals will be “grab and go” for breakfast and lunch
Community Advisory Committee (CAC) For Special Education Meeting
Monday - October 12, 2020 - 3:00 PM
Via Zoom @ https://zoom.us/j/8985291184
Meeting ID: 898 529 1184
Progress Monitoring & Distance Learning Supports
Local Plan Section B Update
Kevin Bean - Director, Student Services/SELPA
Hope to see you there!
Measure B Oversight Committee
QES is one school but on two different campuses.
QES Alder Street Campus
246 Alder Street, Quincy Ca
QES Pioneer Campus
(530) 283-6550 extension 5326
175 N. Mill Creek Road, Quincy, CA
Ms. Roxy helping a future fireperson!
A big thanks to Fire Chief Joe and his team for visiting our Pioneer campus this week!
Great to have such a supportive community! We love our local heroes!