8.10A- Convection & Oceans
Happy Thursday, Mighty Meteorologists!
"What are we doing today, Ms. CJ?"
- Test Prep Thursday / Do Now- check!
- Sea Breeze vs Land Breeze Graphic Organizer
- Notes on Ocean Currents
- Station Rotation- Air & Ocean Currents
- Clean Up and Closing
- You will NOT have a quiz tomorrow. It has been pushed until WEDNESDAY.
- Your TRIANGLES are due TOMORROW.
- There are NO Saturday tutorials this week, school-wide. Enjoy your three-day weekends!
- Remember to work purposefully and with URGENCY as we go through our stations.
- Today is my sorority's 107's birthday!! Yay!
"What have we been learning about this week?"
Thermal Energy Transfer
Layers of the Atmosphere
Please go to textbook page 419.
Ocean Currents Notes
Yes, of COURSE, Cornell Notes style!!
INB page 205 (yes, we are skipping for a reason)
Topic: 8.10A- Ocean Currents
Essential Question: How does solar energy affect ocean currents? How do ocean currents affect weather and climate?
Main Ideas (left side)
Hint: spread them out a little bit.
- What is an ocean current?
- Types of Ocean Currents
- Impacts on Weather and Climate
Leave space for the summary!!
Types Of Ocean Currents
- carry warm or cold water HORIZONTALLY across the ocean's SURFACE
- they are influenced by wind belts (ex: trade winds blow warm water from Africa towards South America)
- CIRCULAR system of currents
- currents within gyres move in the SAME direction
- Gyres in Northern Hemisphere move clockwise; gyres in Southern Hemisphere move counterclockwise
- vertical movement of water toward's ocean surface (it goes UP)
- move water downward
- NOT caused by wind; cause by change in density
Impacts on Weather and Climate
- Solar energy drives CONVECTION in the oceans cause warm-and cold-water gyres
- regions near warm-water currents are often warmer than regions near cold-water currents
- The Gulf Stream is a surface current that affects states like Texas and brings heat and rain (Have you ever heard them mention the Gulf Stream on the weather report?)
- The GREAT OCEAN CONVEYOR BELT affects weather and climate by circulates thermal energy throughout the Earth.
WRITE YOUR SUMMARY! :) Answer EACH Essential Question!
- Yes, you may use your headphones.
- Yes, you may self-select your partners unless I "broke you up" earlier this week.
- Remember to work purposefully and with URGENCY.
Clean Up and Closing
- Finish your triangles.