Terra Linda Tiger Tale
August 7, 2020
Dear Terra Linda Families,
Welcome to August! In about five weeks, students will start their first day of school in their new class. We are really looking forward to welcoming them on Monday, September 14! Though our connections will be on Zoom, please know that our teachers will be using the first weeks of school to build relationships with their students, help students in their class connect with each other. Check out the video below about educating the heart - something we are keeping in mind as we kick off the year.
Thank you to those who were able to attend one of our Principal Chats last Thursday. I've provided links below to the various resources our District is using to guide our planning for the fall. If you have questions, please send me an email at email@example.com Many things are still in development but I would be happy to share what I know at this point in the summer.
Our final Summer Reading Challenge was on Monday this week. I've posted all of the resources below so you can still participate! On Monday, we shared this resource: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QiBQiSdb6m6DvezwCcQmKxCOtjcI0y9tRgsT4-g-1eA/present?ts=5ee91578&slide=id.p Each item on the picture is clickable - even the pictures on the wall, the sign, the pillow, and the rug! It is a collection of short videos put together by a fellow educator to say Black Lives Matter. Each of the links are stories about (or told by) famous Black people, stories about the experiences of Black families, or stories with Black children as the main characters. As I shared last week, books can be mirrors or windows for readers. The stories linked in this picture can serve as either mirrors (reflecting your own experiences) or windows (helping you understand the experiences of others). I have been sharing these videos with my own family to help us grow our understanding of experiences and perspectives that are different from our own. I hope you consider joining me and sharing these stories with your own family!
Finally, I have scheduled two additional Principal Chats so that I can provide you with updated information and continue to answer your questions. I hope you can attend either the evening session on August 20 or the morning session on August 21. I am still working to identify dates for Kindergarten Orientation and New Family Orientation. Stay tuned! As a District, we are putting together a set of presentations on topics to assist families with Comprehensive Distance Learning. I anticipate these will be scheduled during the first two weeks of September. More details to come.
I hope you continue to enjoy time with your family and are staying safe. Thank you for supporting our school community!
Monday, August 17: Terra Linda Office reopens
- Resume regular office hours of 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thursday, August 20 at 7:00 pm: Principal Chat
- Zoom Meeting Link
- Meeting ID: 959 7926 2449
- Passcode: Tigers
Friday, August 21 at 8:30 am: Principal Chat
- Zoom Meeting Link
- Meeting ID: 959 7926 2449
- Passcode: Tigers
Monday, August 31: Applications due for 6 Months of Free Internet from Comcast
- New Extended Deadline!
- See details below
Monday, September 14: First Day of Virtual School
6 Months of Free Internet from Comcast: Due by 8/31
Available to Beaverton School District families:
- Who are eligible for Meal Benefits (participate in the Free and Reduced Lunch program) and
- Who live where Comcast offers internet service and
- Who have been a Comcast customer in the past or who are new to Comcast (this is new)
Steps to Apply:
- Fill out this form: Comcast Internet Essentials Request Form
- You will receive a promo code by email.
- Go to Internet Essentials from Comcast and click on "Apply Now (You can apply on a cell phone with wifi access)
- When you start the application, you must enter your address. The form will tell you if Comcast offers internet service where you live.
- You will enter the promo code from BSD and other information.
Items needed to apply for Comcast Internet:
- The promo code sent to you from BSD
- Either a SSN or another form of Identification (there are several options)
- You can start the application, save what you've entered, then return later to complete it.
- NEW: You do not need a letter from Nutrition Services to verify Meal Benefits Eligibility. The promo code will allow you to skip this step.
Apply for Meal Benefits
If you think your family might be eligible for Meal Benefits, please apply! The eligibility cut off is a lot different than you might think. Students in eligible families can eat school-provided breakfast and lunch for free. Any school fees can also be reduced or possibly waived (this is more applicable in middle school and high school). More information here: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/departments/nutrition-services/meal-benefits
If you family was eligible during the 2019-2020 school year, you need to reapply.
School Supplies Update
Summer Reading Challenge Summary
Thank you to all who were able to participate live in our Summer Reading Challenge and to all who watched the videos or checked out the resources we shared. It's not too late to participate! Here is the slide deck for each week: Summer Reading Challenge Slide Deck On each slide, you will find a link to the video of that week's session as well as a link to the reading resources.
Here are each of the resources we shared:
- What do you wonder about?
- Reading Digital Texts
- Read a Mystery
- Friendship Books and The One & Only Ivan Resources
- Black Lives Matter Reading Room
I hope you continue to use these resources this summer!
Principal Chat Follow-Up
- Will we get paper packets? Our District is not producing printed paper packets like in the spring. For the fall, we will look for opportunities for students to use paper. For example, we are working on plans to get actual books to students each week. In addition, we typically give younger students paper with a place for their picture and lines for their stories. We plan to send this type of paper home. Teachers will be looking for ways to mix up how students share their ideas by using both technology and paper.
- Will teachers be looping with students? Looping happens when a teacher moves up a grade with their class and teaches the same group of students for two consecutive years. Looping can be an incredibly positive experience for students because the teacher can start the year already knowing their students needs. Looping could happen for some teachers or some students, but it is unlikely to happen for the entire school. I explained to parents that it could possibly work until we reach fifth grade. When we loop our fourth grade teachers to teach fifth grade, then our fifth grade teachers must loop into Kindergarten.
- Will there be flexibility to attend in hybrid model? Currently, our District is planning for schools to start a Hybrid model on November 16. That date could change based on whether or not our county is meeting the COVID-19 metrics outlined by the Governor. Whenever we offer Hybrid instruction, families can choose to send their children to school for in-person learning two days each week or they can choose to remain online all five days each week. We will continue to offer Comprehensive Distance Learning five days a week until schools are able to return to normal (no social distancing requirements, no masks, etc).
- What will the daily/Zoom schedule look like? Will it be consistent? Will we know in advance? Our current plan is to give families a weekly schedule that is fairly consistent week to week. The only changes might be when a small group or individual session is scheduled. The times for Reading, Writing, Math, Specials, and Lunch should be consistent each week, just like a typical school day.
There were a number of questions asked that I still don't have answers to. I will hopefully be able to share answers at our next Principal Chats.
Local Food Resources - New Site at Beaverton Foursquare!
Aloha High School
18550 SW Kinnaman Rd, Aloha, OR 97078
Every Wednesday at noon
Details: All families are invited to pick up a Weekly Food Box containing produce, dairy or a combination of both. Food boxes are available for pick up every Wednesday at Aloha High School. Boxes will be distributed beginning at 12 noon until supplies last.
Sunset Presbyterian Church Food Pantry:
14986 NW Cornell Rd, Portland, OR 97229
Wednesdays 9:30-11:30 am or 4:00-6:00 pm
Details: Drive by Wednesdays 9:30-11:30 am or 4:00-6:00 pm and pick up a food box for your family.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a weekly delivery
St. Cecilia Church
5105 SW Franklin Ave Beaverton, OR
Tuesdays 2:00 pm while supplies last
Details: Drive through to pick up a food box for your family.
St. Anthony Catholic Church
9905 SW McKenzie St, Tigard, OR 97223
Monday-Friday 1:00-4:00 pm
Details: St. Anthony Catholic Church is partnering with Pacific Coast Fruit Company: Drive by Monday-Friday 1:00-4:00 pm and pick up a fresh produce and dairy box. Any family can pick up one box per week.
Email email@example.com or call 503-639-4179 for more information
Beaverton Foursquare Church
13565 SW Walker Rd, Beaverton OR 97005
Every Thursday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Details: Beaverton Foursquare Church is partnering with Pacific Coast Fruit Company. Boxes can be picked up first come, first served until the boxes are gone, now through September. Anyone can pick up any quantity they want. The boxes can be different each week depending on what foods are available.
Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair- All Summer Long!
The brand new Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair is here! Bring the joy of reading home this summer and help students discover favorite characters, series, and collections, with the option to shop for books directly from the booklist flyer. Plus, our school will get 25% in Scholastic Dollars™ that we can use to purchase more books for classrooms and the library.
- Same exclusive titles as our in-school Book Fairs
- Orders ship direct to home
- FREE shipping on book-only orders over $25*
- All purchases benefit our school
- The online fair runs now through 9/4
Please click on this link to start shopping: Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair
*Free standard shipping is available on book-only orders of $25 or more, after all discounts are applied. Free standard shipping (books) must be selected during checkout. Orders containing products other than books are not eligible for this shipping promotion. Learn more.
Thank you to the Terra Linda PTC for organizing this opportunity!
Summer Parent Newsletter
Questions? Contact Terra Linda
Options for contacting us at Terra Linda
- Call Terra Linda at 503-356-2490
- Fill out this form to send us an email.