Poway High School Titan Weekly
January 17. 2021
- January 18 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - No School
- January 19 - Racial Equity Community Conversations for PHS
- January 21 - Last day to drop a Trimester 2 5.5 Class
- January 22 - End of Six Weeks - Trimester 2
- January 29 - No School for Students - Professional Growth Day
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 18 (no school)
It is a time to remember the injustices that Dr. King fought and a time to remember his fight for the freedom, equality, and dignity of all races and peoples through nonviolence.
Did you know that Dr. King won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964? Click here to read more about his life and legacy.
Community Conversations on Racial Equity
The second session of Racial Equity Community Conversations for PHS and its feeder pattern schools will take place on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. This is a wonderful opportunity and safe space for our families and students to share experiences and build relationships focused on improving racial equity and inclusion in Poway Unified Schools. PUSD remains fully committed to advancing our work to bring equity, diversity, and inclusion to PUSD, even during temporary closures.
Click here to register: bit.ly/recc-phs-011921
Poway High TRUE TITAN Recognition Nominations OPEN!
Our Poway High TRUE TITAN Recognition program tradition is now OPEN for nominations honoring a Poway High School Student, Staff, or Faculty member during Trimester 2.
Students, Faculty, and Staff: Please consider nominating someone who exhibits outstanding attitude, citizenship, engagement, or other worthy contribution to improving our Poway High daily life.
Nominations are open during each trimester for a two-week period in October, January, and April of this year, with the second trimester OPEN until January 29, 2021.
***Poway High TRUE TITAN Recognition is a PTSA sponsored program***
Save the Date: Community College Night
Get your Poway High Spirit Wear!
Poway High ASB has a few hoodies, sweatshirts, and t-shirts leftover from our Holiday sale. They are for sale on the ASB Webstore now. Sizes are limited, but availability by size is noted for each item. If you place an order Monday through Friday, the order will be available for pick up on the following Tuesday in the front office from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. GO TITANS! Thank you for your support of Poway High ASB.
Poway High's production of the Music Man wins at the National Youth Arts Awards!
The 15th Annual National Youth Arts Awards for the 2019 - 2020 season have finally been announced, and Poway High School earned 4 awards and 4 additional nominations!
Lead Performance in a Musical: Aaron Hunter as Harold Hill in The Music Man
Lead Performance in a Musical: Cassidy Stillwell as Marian Paroo in The Music Man
Set Design: Garrett Moreau for The Music Man
Youth Orchestra: The Music Man
Supporting Performance in a Musical: Tanner Mejia as Marcellus in The Music Man
Featured Performance in a Musical: Monica Vallanueva as Amaryllis in The Music Man
Ensemble: The Music Man
Direction: Jessica Schemmel for The Music Man
Class of 2021-- Be a part of the yearbook!
Seniors, we are collecting senior standout nominations, quotes, and toddler photos. The deadline for everything is February 1st. To access the forms, make sure you are logged in to your PUSD Google account.
Senior Standouts and Staff Standouts
Complete the Nomination Form to nominate and recognize your classmates for a senior standout. The four with the most votes in every category will be voted on again in a future google form for the final winners.
Complete the Senior Quote Form to send in a quote you would like to be underneath your portrait.
Senior Toddler Photos
Last Chance for Portraits
Seniors, we want you in the senior portrait section of our book. Since our free on-campus session was moved to the studio because of COVID, you must get your photo taken at the studio. Contact Keane Studios in Rancho Bernardo by Jan. 20 Reserve your time through their website.
PHS Virtual Blood Drive - January 11 - February 28, 2021
Join Poway High School from January 11 – February 28, 2021 to donate blood at a donor center or mobile drive near you.
By Appointment Only. Donors must be at least 17 years of age and a minimum weight of 114 lbs.
If you are a donor from Poway High School, please give your Group Code PYHS at check-in so your school gets the credit.
Appointment & Photo ID required. Arrive hydrated.
PHS Engineering Academy Info Nights - February 10 and March 17
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 - Click here for more information - for current PHS students
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - Click here for more information - for 2021-22 incoming 9th graders
During the temporary suspension of on-campus learning, free school meals will be available to all PUSD students for pick up at the following school sites from 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.:
- Del Norte High School (16601 Nighthawk Lane, San Diego, CA 92127)
- Los Penasquitos Elementary School (14125 Cuca Street, San Diego, 92129)
- Meadowbrook Middle School (12320 Meadowbrook Lane, Poway CA 92064)
- Midland Elementary School (13910 Midland Road, Poway, CA 92064)
- Mt. Carmel High School (9550 Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego, CA 92129)
- Pomerado Elementary School (12321 Ninth Street, Poway, CA 92064)
- Poway High School (15500 Espola Road, Poway, CA 92064)
- Rancho Bernardo High School (13010 Paseo Lucido, San Diego, CA 92128)
- Turtleback Elementary School (15855 Turtleback Road, San Diego, 92127)
- Twin Peaks Middle School (14640 Tierra Bonita Road, Poway, CA 92064)
- Valley Elementary School (13000 Bowron Road, Poway, CA 92064)
- Westview High School (13500 Camino Del Sur, San Diego, CA 92129)
Shortened February Break
A reminder to families that the 2021 February break has been shortened from our typical five days off to just two days off due to COVID-related adjustments to the 2020-21 school year calendar. There is no school on Monday, February 15 and Friday, February 19 due to the observance of Washington’s and Lincoln’s birthdays. However, school will be in session Tuesday through Thursday, February 16 through February 18, so students are expected to attend class on those three days. Spring Break remains the same, Monday, April 12 through Friday, April 16. The last day of school was changed to Friday, June 18, 2021. You can view the official District calendar here.
Get your 2021 Yearbooks now!
Send us your photos!
This week’s requests: Titans Home for the Holidays, Socially-Distanced Winter Activities, and Working Titans
We would also like more photos of the first day of school, mask fashion, drive-by birthdays, students and their pets who like to come to “class,” your new “classroom,” summer adventures, students baking/cooking, students’ DIY projects and hobbies in the pandemic, and Halloween.
Free Teen Positive Parenting Webinars
We are pleased to share that we are offering the Teen Positive Parenting Program in English and Spanish for FREE via ZOOM! This webinar series is designed for parents and will address raising responsible teenagers while improving family communication. The webinar is offered in separate English and Spanish sessions:
· FREE Teen Positive Parenting Program (English) via ZOOM
Thursdays, January 21, and January 28, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
· FREE Teen Positive Parenting Program (Spanish) via ZOOM
Tuesdays, February 2, February 9, and February 16, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Suicide Prevention 101 for Parents: Recognizing Signs and What to Do - Free Webinar on January 27, 2021
January 27, 2021 from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. - Webinar Registration
SAT Testing 2020-21
$75,000 Available in Scholarships From Cox Charities
Cox Charities is offering $75,000 in college scholarships to high school seniors in the San Diego area. The Cox Scholars scholarships range from $2,500 to $5,000. Recipients must be a 2021 graduating high school senior living in Cox’s Southern California service area.
Applications are now open. Deadline to complete and submit the online application is Friday, February 3, 2021. For more information, visit www.CoxCharitiesCA.org.
“Now more than ever, students in our community are working hard to achieve their educational dreams amid new learning circumstances and tough financial times due to the Covid-19 pandemic. As a company founded by a teacher, we continue to support local students and education in San Diego and look forward to awarding our annual scholarships in the new year,” said Chanelle Hawken, vice president of government and public affairs for Cox Communications in California.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on their scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities, volunteerism, and staying focused on their educational goals despite facing adversity in their lives.
Here are some helpful tips for students when applying for a Cox Scholars scholarship:
1. Before you apply—Review the scholarship requirements carefully and make sure you’re eligible before spending time putting an application together. If you don’t meet the requirements such as G.P.A. or place of residence, your application will not be considered.
2. Financial information—Use tax forms to declare income or give your best estimate if tax forms are unavailable. To be most effective, don’t leave any sections blank.
3. Extracurricular activities—The scholarship committee wants to know what applicants are interested in. Make sure to provide an accurate timeline that includes all activities from the previous four years. Make sure not to repeat information in multiple places.
4. A personal statement—Don’t wait until the last minute to put this together. Give yourself time to think about the topic, and answer from your own personal experience. The more passionate you are, the better your statement. Ask someone you trust to read it and give feedback. And don’t forget to run a spell check.
5. Submit your application and supporting documents before the deadline – If you wait until the last minute, you may encounter issues that prevent you from submitting the application on time, such as computer issues or gathering financial information from a parent.
Funded by employee payroll donations that are matched by the company, Cox Charities provides support to communities in Cox Communications’ service area by awarding scholarships to high school seniors and grants to non-profit organizations.
A volunteer advisory board of Cox employees oversees the foundation and its giving programs.
In 2020, 25 Cox Scholars from San Diego were recognized for their successes in the classroom and in the community.
Support your PHS PTSA!
Join us in giving our Titans the very best in 2020-2021! Memberships are $15 per person and are offered to anyone interested in supporting PHS—parents, teachers, staff, students, grandparents, etc. Joining and donating is easy, and online! Just click this link.
Visit our website for more information.
Your PHS PTSA looks forward to partnering with you for a great year!
What would you like to see in the Titan Weekly? Please feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and suggestions here so that we can provide you with the information you need to feel connected to the Titan Community. We value your input!
The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived protected characteristics under the law, including but not limited to ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, immigration status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact the Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406, 858-521-2800, extension 2121.