Sierra Family Newsletter January 7, 2022
Message from the Principal
Happy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed a happy and healthy break. We are excited to be doing 2022 with you and your sharks!
We need you!
We are excited to add two new ways parents can participate in our school programs in the new year. We are looking for the following:
1. One parent to join our PBIS Team! PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. You can read more about our program, here. This is a small team of staff who works together to support and refine our schoolwide program. We meet virtually once a month. The meeting dates are: January 27, March 24, April 28, and May 26, at 2:35 and will last about 45 minutes. If you can attend these meetings (Zoom) and you are interested, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. We are looking for 1-2 parents to join our Site Equity Team. This is a new team to Sierra consisting of myself and several staff members, and we will learn together in 2022 through RUSD's Foundational Equity Training Series. These are all day, in-person trainings, approximately 8:00-3:15 on the following dates: March 23 and 24, and May 18. If you can attend these in-person meetings and are interested, please send me an email at email@example.com.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Amy Westberg, Principal
CDE Partnership with Renaissance Learning Provides Gift of Literacy this Winter
As part of State Superintendent Tony Thurmond's literacy initiative to get all California students to read by third grade by 2026, the California Department of Education (CDE) has partnered with Renaissance Learning, Inc. to ensure that every student can access thousands of reading resources from December 1, 2021, to January 31, 2022. The myON digital library and news articles in multiple languages can be accessed for FREE by all pre-K to grade 12 students in California. All books downloaded during the two months are able to be read offline. Schools are asked to provide the access code to unlock these free resources for students and families. Please use the Family Letter Templates to share this news, login code, and message with families in your school communities: Renaissance Learning Family Letter-English; Renaissance Learning Family Letter-Spanish. Learn more in this recent Letter from Superintendent Thurmond.
Want to get use of a free Chromebook for your child?
Are you cleared to volunteer?
- Fingerprinting completed for RUSD specifically. Prior fingerprinting done for any agency or organization other than RUSD will not be accepted. Fingerprinting takes approximately 72 hours to clear.
- Current Tuberculosis Test (TB). TB tests expire every 4 years and must be renewed in order to volunteer. TB Tests take approximately 48-72 hours for results and results must be brought to the office.
State of California Policy:
- Vaccination status or proof of a current negative COVID test uploaded to the link included in the email from Informed K12. If you have not received this email, please let the office know. Details about this are included in the Informed K12 email.
To check your volunteer status, please call the office or email our Secretary, Kimberly Ervin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hello Sierra families!
Our Sierra families are one of our most precious resources and what makes Sierra such a special place. We are excited to welcome back volunteers on campus and are planning for other opportunities for our family community to engage with our students and staff. As we continue this school year, we are reaching out to our families to gather your interest in sharing your skills, professional or cultural experiences, hobbies, and other interests with our Sierra student community. Your passions will enrich our students’ education. Consider presentation skills, career experience, sharing a second language, arts and crafts, cultural traditions, being a guest reader, travels, tech experience and so much more! Please complete the form on the following link to share your interest.
THE AUCTION IS BACK!!!
Mark your calendars on April 2 for the annual Sierra Auction. We are excited to announce the event will be held at Moonraker Brewery. Watch here for more details OR follow the Sierra PTC on Facebook or Instagram to get the latest details as they are announced.
Have a great weekend,
Your Sierra PTC
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
1/17/22 - Martin Luther King Day No School
2/21/22 - 2/25/22 - Presidents Week No School
2/28/22 - Minimum Day (K: 12:10pm/1st-6th 12:20pm)
Click this button for a video and more details. Share with your friends with school-ready little ones!
Check out our weekly announcements videos shared with students every Monday morning!
Lunch may be picked up for RVC students from 11:30 - 12:00 Monday - Friday from our school cafeteria. Our Nutrition Services Website has the menu for the month so your shark knows what they will be sinking their teeth into each day.