PLE Zen Den
February 8-12, 2016
Black History - More Than a Month
- Black History Month Lessons and Resources (grades 6-8)
- 6 Teaching Tools for Teaching Black History Month
- Celebrating African American Heritage
- 10 Little Known BHM Facts
Be sure to check out the playlist below for more educational Black History month videos. It's an easy way to do a quick write using the discussion features on the tablet or in Canvas as a warm up or exit ticket during homeroom.
This week, I urge you to step out of your comfort zone and embark on something new that will make a difference in the life of one child. At Allen I will work with content teachers to introduce you to Canvas. At Guilford I am at your beck and call until we dive into Canvas on Saturday, 2/13 and 2/27.. Click here to sign up to earn CEUs and $100! If i can help you fine tune your skills to make that difference, use the links below. I'm here to help.
As always, view the PLEF Instructional Coaching Menu to pick from a variety of resources to help you and your students grow. Have a Super Bowl weekend. Go Panthers!
Love is in the air!
When time permits, read a teacher's article, "50 Reasons to Love Teaching". Click the link at the end of the article to read the rest of his list. How may of these things can you identify with?
Joel | Teaching.monster.com
Editor’s Note: Teaching, in my opinion, is one of the greatest career choices. Teaching featured writer, Joel, shares 50 reasons he loves teaching in a list below. Keep in mind, I bet every teacher that reads this could add many more reasons to the list. Share the reason you love teaching with Teaching now. Read some of the reasons teaching is great and get inspired.
- Sharing experiences
- Helping inexperienced teachers solve problems
- The ability to help children achieve their best
- Inspiring students not only academically but personally
- Getting up on stage and performing for them, too
- The thrill of a good and well thought out lesson is incomparable
- The kids’ energies; their inquisitiveness makes inspires teaching them and pushing them harder
- The instant feedback from students about my own teaching performance, even when they don’t realize they’re doing it
- Being able to interact with kids who are mostly good and and do try to do what's expected of them...
Great Teaching and Learning Spotlight
Great teaching and learning is occurring in every classroom in your building. Your peers are your greatest resource. Visit their classroom during planning to keep your ideas fresh. If you have something you'd like to share, email it to me and I'll feature it in my weekly updates.
Dawn Willis and Timothy Ross (Allen/7th) Kudos to the social studies team! They learned Canvas on Tuesday and administered their first assessment two days later. Acccording to Mr. Ross, "Overall, the convenience of giving the quiz was great. We just had to work out the bugs before we try again." The best part is that they tried something new. Nothing works perfectly in the beginning but eventually the added tech makes your live easier. Be sure to add these two as your go-to for Canvas questions. See a screenshot of their quiz below.
Content Spotlight - All Subjects
Need 2 Knows
Storybots makes learning fun with fresh, educational content kids love! The StoryBots Educator Network is comprised of Pre-K and Kindergarten teachers who recognize the power of technology and entertainment to accelerate early learning. Plus, it's free for teachers. Click here to find out more.
Remember the Emoji Exit Ticket from a previous newsletter? Great news - the Canvas version is live and online. Search 'Emoji Exit Ticket' in the Commons to begin using this tool.