The Weekly Roar
June 5, 2021
Our Last Week Together!
Hello families! We have made it to our last week of school. It's been a school year like none other. As we close the year out, it's important for La Ballona staff to hear from you! Together with the School Site Council and the PTA, we'd like you to complete this La Ballona Parent Survey. (Survey is below, as well) We will use the information we gather information improve the La Ballona experience. Thank you taking 15 minutes out of your day to complete this survey.
Here's what our week looks like:
Monday, June 7 (See Below)
- Kinder Smile Event for Rooms 1 & 3 (Ms. Lam/Johnson and Ms. Aguilar/Rosales). 11;45-12:15. Parents and students may enter from the front of the school and walk to the garden. They will take pictures and receive their certificates. Parents and students must wear their masks and remain 3 feet apart.
Tuesday, June 8 (See below)
- Kinder Smile Event for Rooms 2 & 4 (Ms. Carrillo and Ms. Banek/Engel). 11;45-12:15. Parents and students may enter from the front of the school and walk to the garden. They will take pictures and receive their certificates. Parents and students must wear their masks and remain 3 feet apart.
Wednesday, June 9
- Virtual Kindergarten Celebrations in the Kinder Zoom rooms. 8:45-9:30
- New Distribution! Come pick up your Summer Activity Book! All Kdg-4th grade Full Distance students are invited to come pick up a brand new Activity Book to build your skills over the summer. Distribution is Wednesday, 10-1pm.
Thursday, June 10- 5th Grade Promotion Activities (See below)
- Enjoy this special 5th Grade Celebration Padlet
- 8:45am- Our festivities begin with a live welcome and message from the principal. 5th Grade families will be emailed the zoom link.
- 9:00-12:00- Back to back virtual Promotion Ceremonies
- 12:30-3:00- Farewell to La Ballona Event. Parents and 5th graders enter through the main entrance. View your legacy tile, enjoy the garden, receive your certificate, get your yearbook, and take pictures of your elementary home.
Friday, June 11
- Last day of school. All students, including Full Distance students, end class at 11:30.
Included in this newsletter:
- What's New and Important at La Ballona
- Announcements from PTA and Our Community
- 5th Grade News
- Important Future Dates
Have a great week!
Dr. Becky Godbey
1. What's New and Important at La Ballona
It's time to Return your Items!
CHROMEBOOKS & HOTSPOTS & CHARGERS
This week we will be collecting district issued Chromebooks/Hotspots in an effort to inventory all of our devices this summer!
- Students attending in-person learning will leave Chromebooks and power supplies on their desks by the last day of school (June 11, 2021).
- After the last day of school, Chromebooks and power supplies must be returned to the High School Media Library before July 16, 2021.
- Cohort C Distance Learning students (and any students who did not return their tech to school by June 11) will return their Chromebooks and power supplies to the High School Media Library before July 16, 2021.
MATH MANIPULATIVES BOX
The distance learning math manipulatives kit were also checked out to each student and will need to be returned. Please continue to bring them in to school. We understand that there may be missing pieces, please just bring in what you have. There are collection boxes in front of the school and on the Principal's Patio.
You may be receiving notices for overdue library books and we want to make sure to turn them in! There is a box in the front of school for any students returning library books or math kits.
Summer Learning Opportunities
Additionally, check out this menu of activities and recommendations for balancing academics, enrichment, and fun this summer!
Our Shared Learning: Happy PRIDE month!
Happy pride month, Lions! At the heart of pride month is the goal of celebrating, validating, and affirming the identities all of our La Ballona Lions and families, no matter who they are and how they experience the world.
As our community learns more about the history of pride month, questions and conversations may arise and our job as grown-ups is to help provide information that supports our mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Check out the videos and link below for resources to guide talks with the young people in your life.
2. Announcements from PTA and our Community
We are AWESOME.
Restaurant fundraiser extended
Parent Superintendent Search Meetings for Input
There will be two meetings for Parents to share their input for the Superintendent Search. Here are the Zoom links from Ray and Associates for parents.
Topic: Culver City - Parents
Time: Jun 7, 2021 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 818 9044 1749
Ray and Associates is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Culver City - Parent Groups
Time: Jun 8, 2021 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 826 8905 8548
3. Fifth Grade News
Information for incoming 6th grade families
4. Important Dates in the Future
Thursday, August 19: First Day of the 2021-2022 School Year
• See you then, Lions!
• See CCUSD District calendar for important dates for next year (linked below)