School Counseling Newsletter
Winter/Spring edition 2020-2021 Issue 2
Please feel free to reach out to the school counseling department with questions or concerns you may have at this time.
February 5th - Course Registration Opens
February 8th - First day of the third quarter
February 12th - Last day to register for the March 13th SAT
February 24th - Last day for Course Registrations
February 26th - Senior Project Exhibition Due
March 10th - College Night for Junior Parents & Students (on Zoom)
March 15th - Senior Project Exhibitions
March 17th - Midpoint of the third quarter
March 24th - Last day to drop a course without a "W" appearing on a transcript
April 8, 2021 - Last day to register for the May 8th SAT
April 13th - 15th - Window for the in-school SAT day. Juniors are automatically registered for this through the school.
April 16th - End of the third quarter
April 26th - Start of the fourth quarter
May & June
May 18th - May 21st - AP Testing Window for Makeup Exams
May 6th - Last day to register for the June 5th SAT
May 25th - NGSA (Science Test) for Juniors
May 26th - Midpoint of the fourth quarter
June 2nd - Last day to drop a course without a "W" showing up on a transcript
June 13th - Graduation
Course Selection Process
2020-2021 Course Selection Process Review
- The Program of Studies is posted on the BHS Website.
- Students are encouraged to review the course recommendations that their current teachers have entered into X2.
- Students can request to meet with their counselors individually if they need any assistance with selecting their courses and/or creating/revising their 4-Year Plan.
- Beginning February 5th, students must enter their course requests ONLINE via X2 and this must be done by February 24th.
- Students who cannot log into X2 should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request access to their X2 account.
- Students must select a total of 6.0 or 6.5 credits.
- Students should list alternate choices for electives in the event that it does not work in their schedule, the course is full, or it does not run.
- Once courses are selected and entered into X2, counselors will work with students, parents, and teachers regarding any scheduling concerns that arise.
Individual Learning Plan
What is the ILP?
College Night for Juniors
College Night for juniors and their parents is scheduled for Tuesday, March 10th at 7:00 pm. This is a worthwhile event as Cynthia Bonn, Dean of Admissions at URI, will be presenting information about important factors in the college search process. Zoom link will be sent out via email as the date approaches.
Individual Junior meetings-College/Career Exploration
To begin the discussion of plans for students after high school, the School Counselors have posted information on their CANVAS page that includes a variety of resources to support students through the process. To facilitate the college research process, students have received their login information to Naviance, a web-based resource to help students with the college/career exploration. A video tutorial is also provided to help students navigate through Naviance.
Virtual college visits opportunities
Students and parents may visit multiple campuses using these links:
National Associaton for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) are providing Virtual College Fairs scheduled throughout the spring. Please access the link below for registeration to the event.
Will Colleges & Universities be test-optional in the fall?
Currently 1685 colleges, or two-thirds of all colleges in the U.S., are test-optional or test blind. It is expected that many of these schools will remain test-optional for the Class of 2022, but it is important to keep checking the List of Test Optional Schools provided by FairTest in the coming months. In addition to the alphabetical list, they provide a Chronological List of Test Optional Schools to show which schools adopted the policy in the past year due to the cancellation of multiple SAT and ACT exams.
Financial Aid & Paying for College
- FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( application begins on October 1st) . https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- CSS Financial Aid PROFILE- Financial Aid form required by some private colleges. List of colleges provide the profile. https://profile.collegeboard.org/profile/ppi/participatingInstitutions.aspx
- Estimated Family Contribution, or EFC, determines the family expected contribution to their child's college costs. https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/paying-your-share/expected-family-contribution-calculator