News from the School Nurse

Meagan Imsand, BSN, RN


This page is intended to provide you with information, policies, and forms that you may find necessary or helpful as related to your child's health while at school. If you have any questions or I can help you in any way, I am available by phone Monday-Friday 7:00a-2:45p at 256-851-4630 or by email at I look forward to working with you and your child!

In The News

Children's Guaifenesin Recall

Children's Guaifenesin Grape Liquid and Guaifenesin DM Cherry Liquid by Perrigo Company: Recall - Potential Defect with Dosage Cup

Including store brands:

  • Sunmark
  • Rite-Aid
  • Topcare
  • Kroger
  • GoodSense
  • Dollar General
  • Care One
  • CVS

AUDIENCE: Consumer

ISSUE: Perrigo Company announced that, following the recent recall of certain dosing cups by its supplier, it has initiated a voluntary product recall in the US to the retail level of 2 batches of its children's guaifenesin grape liquid (100mg/5 mL) and 3 batches of its children's guaifenesin DM cherry liquid (100mg guaifenesin and 5mg dextromethorphan HBr/ 5 ml) sold in 4 oz. bottles with dosage cup in a box under multiple store brand product names. Some packages contain an oral dosing cup with incorrect dose markings. See the press release for affected label and lot numbers.

At risk populations such as those who are poor metabolizers of dextromethorphan may experience an overdose by a factor of 3, if incorrect measuring levels are used.

Consumers should be aware that an overdose of Guaifenesin DM may cause hyper excitability, rapid eye movements, changes in muscle reflexes, ataxia, dystonia, hallucinations, stupor, and coma. Other effects have included nausea, vomiting, tachycardia, irregular heartbeat, seizures, respiratory depression, and death. Small children who are poor metabolizers of dextromethorphan and use the product regularly over a period of several days at the mistaken dose, may develop cumulative toxicity. Moreover, adverse reactions to guaifenesin when given in high or excessive dosage may include nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain. Therefore, an extreme overdose in an at risk population may need medical intervention, but in most cases adverse health consequences are temporary and reversible.

BACKGROUND: These recalled products are sold by distributors nationwide and distributed through retail stores.

RECOMMENDATION: Gastric decontamination is recommended after acute ingestion of greater than 10 mg/kg, if administered soon after ingestion.

Consumers that have product with the corresponding labels and batch numbers listed in the Press Release should discard the dosing device and product and may call Perrigo, toll free, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST, at1-888-345-0479, or visit Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they have any questions, or if they or their children experience any problem that could possibly be related to this drug product.

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

  • Complete and submit the report Online:
  • Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including a link to the press release, at:

You are encouraged to report all serious adverse events and product quality problems to FDA MedWatch at

Follow MedWatch on Twitter

Update your subscriptions, modify your e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your email address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please visit

This service is provided to you at no charge by U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

Is It a Cold or the Flu?

Big image

Head Lice - What You Need To Know

Though the thought of lice can be scary and daunting, prevention is key and is really very easy! It is also important to remember that personal hygiene and cleanliness of the school or home have no impact on whether or not a child gets lice. Lice is spread by physical head-to-head contact, and do not live long off of a host. Most cases of head lice are not spread at school, but more commonly in homes, churches, and during sporting events/practices where children are sharing helmets. Here are some facts about prevention and control from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

1. Avoid head-to-head (hair-to-hair) contact.

  • Kids will be kids, but tell them to avoid head-to-head contact while playing with other children, whether at school, on a playground, or during sports activities. Since head lice also can't fly, hop, or jump, they'll pass on to your children only through direct contact.

2. Say "no" to sleepovers until 48 hours after treatment and no living lice visualized

  • If there's a head lice outbreak in your child's school, put sleepover parties on hold for a while, since head lice can live in bedding, pillows, and carpets that have recently been used by someone with head lice.

3. Don't share what's on your hair.

  • Tell kids not to share combs, brushes, hats, scarves, bandanas, hair bands, ribbons, barrettes, or towels — basically, anything that goes on kids' heads.
  • Disinfest combs and brushes used by an infested person by soaking them in hot water (at least 130°F) for 5–10 minutes .

4. Think wisely when it comes to your house.

  • Extreme environmental clean-up does not appear to lessen the spread of lice. However, washing pillow cases may be useful. Spending excessive time and money on housecleaning activities is not necessary to avoid re-infestation by lice or nits that may have fallen off the head or crawled onto furniture or clothing.
  • Common sense should guide you if you wish to do anything more.
    • You may avoid lying on beds, couches, pillows, carpets, or stuffed animals that have been in immediate contact with an untreated, infested person.
    • You may choose to machine wash and dry clothing, bed linens, and other items that an untreated, infested person wore or used during the 2 days before treatment using the hot water (130°F) laundry cycle and the high heat drying cycle. Clothing and items that are not washable can be dry-cleaned OR sealed in a plastic bag and stored for 2 weeks.
    • You may vacuum the floor and furniture, particularly where the untreated, infested person sat or lay.

5. Be sure other members of the household including dual households and yourself are examined and treated for head lice if needed.

6. Do not use pest sprays and fogs in the house.

  • They are not necessary to control head lice and can be harmful if they are inhaled or get into the skin, especially on young children.

Source: American Academy of Pediatrics

Big image

Health Information to Know and Share

Big image