Chyanne Jones & Brooke Rider 5/4/16
state bird:brown thrasher
- also known as toxostoma rufum.
- The Brown Thrasher is reddish brown with thin dark streaks as an under layer.
- Its hard to separate male from female.
- This bird eats insects, berries, nuts, and seeds.
Georgia State Song: Georgia On My Mind
- The song was written in 1930.
- The song wasn't about the state, it was about Carmichael's sister, Georgia.
- The song was recorded September 15, 1930.
amphibian: Green Tree Frog
- This frog likes flies, mosquitoes and other small insects.
- These are small creatures.
Reptile: Gopher Tortoise
- The gopher tortoise spends most of their time digging burrows in the ground.
- They can live up to 40 years.
State Flag: State of Arms
- 13 stars represent the first 13 colonies.
- On the seal 3 pillars supporting an arch to represent branches of government
- the man with his sword drawn represents wisdom,justice,and moderation
- peanuts lead the nation in exports
- its ranked 1 of 5 famous cash crops
- Georgia produces more than half of the peanuts to the united states
- Georgia grows 99% of all peanuts
- We are known as the peach state because of our high quality of fruits
- The peach from Georgia has the best quality, taste, and texture
Vegetable: Vidalia Onion
- They are named vidalia because thats where they are grown.
- The world's sweetest onion
- Became the state vegetable in 1990
Tree: Southern Live Oak
- The tree is associated with our Georgia history.
- hurricane resistant
Insect: Honey Bee
- It was made Georgia's insect because they honey production was going up
- was announced state insect in 1970s
- Bee pollution is critical to humans and plant survival
Game Bird: Bobwhite Quail
- Selected gane bird in 1970
- This bird lays 10-20 white eggs
- male- sharply defined white throat patch and eye stripes above eyes
Flower: Cherokee Rose
- Selected in 1916
- The flower waxy while with large golden center
- named after Cherokee Indians
- 35 million years old
Fish: Large mouth bass
- active predators
- selected in 1970
- also called black bass, green, bigmouth bass
Movies & TV Shows Filmed in Georgia
The Vampire Diaries
The Vampire Diaries is filmed in Covington Georgia.
based on the series of novels by L.J. Smith
Teen Wolf season 1 and 2 was filmed in Atlanta, Georgia
Scott McCall is bitten by a oddly large animal one night causing his best friend, Stiles Stilinski to raise some suspicion.
The Hunger Games Series (Catching Fire, Mockingjay 1 & 2)
Catching Fire: Shooting first took place in and around metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia and then moved to Hawaii
Mockingjay 1 & 2: shooting took place at the Marriott Marquis in Atlanta
Ant Man was filmed in Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayette County
In 1989, scientist Hank resigns from SHIELD after discovering their attempt to replicate his Ant Man shrinking tech.
Mean Girls 2
Mean Girls 2 was filmed in Atlanta Georgia.
On Jo Mitchell's first day at North Shore High School, she encounters a clique called "The Plastics"
Authors From Georgia
James Dashner is an American writer of speculative fiction, primarily series for children and young adults, such as the Maze Runner series and the young adult fantasy series the 13th Reality
Amber Dermont is a Georgian witter with a Bachelor's Degree from Vassar College. She is most commonly known for her novel The Starboard Sea
Philip Lee Williams
Philip is an American novelist, essayist, and poet. He is the winner of many literary awards.
Georgia On My Mind
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
On my mind
I said Georgia, mmm, Georgia
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines
Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you
Oh, Georgia, Georgia
No peace I find
Just an old sweet song, old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
Oh, just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
There'll always be Georgia
Places in Georgia
Jekyll Island was okay...A building caught on fire and there were a lot of nats.
Savannah was probably my favorite place to visit because of the convention that was being hosted while we were there.We saw two port-ships almost crash into each other though.
I used to live ten minutes from Downtown Senoia, where they filmed most of TWD, and I would go downtown all the time to eat at Redneck Gourmet and look at the small shops on the street.
Helen is kind of like Senoia with how the buildings and street slope. Helen is a replica of German villages and has a river to go tubing.
And finally the Blue Ridge Mountains, while we were in the Blue Ridge we went snow tubing until our hands and feet where so cold we could barely move them around.
- current Governor: Nathan Deal
- Lieutenant Governor: Casey Cagle
- two main legislative bodies: House of Representative (180) and Senate(56).
- state senator: David Perdue
- Chief Justice Hugh Thompson 1994-2014
Legislative: City Council Members: Chris Smith, Hawnethia Williams, Kenneth Morgan, Josh McKelvey, Michael Whatley, Ocie Franklin, Leigh Anne Knight
Judicial: Chief Judge John M. Ott, Judge Horace Johnson, Judge Samuel D. Ozburn