Davis/Martin Peek at the Week
September 19 - 23
Mid Quarter reports and Accelerated Reader progress reports went home Friday afternoon. We ask that both be signed and returned by Wednesday. There are about 4 more weeks left until 1st quarter ends. Remember that 5 chapter books need to be read and tested on by Wednesday, October 12th.
This Thursday, students will take their first word test in Spelling. Words for this test cannot be studied for ahead of time. Rather, students are learning word patterns and skills that they can apply to spelling those words on the test. Any words missed on the test will become students' personal words to learn for the year. More information on this will be sent home on Monday.
We had a great time listening to our guest author Bill Harley on Wednesday! He shared some great stories and songs. If you would like to order any of his Charlie Bumpers books, the library still has order forms available.
If you ordered a book from our September Scholastic book order, they should be in by Wednesday! Thank you again for helping us reach our $300 goal!
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN LITERACY & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Guided Read Aloud: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Li
- Spelling - Unit 1: short/long vowels, spelling patterns for /k/ (c, k, ch, ck, qu), visual skills
- Daily Language: week 5 (comparative/superlative adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, prepositions, interjections)
- Writing - Personal Narratives
- Unit 1: The Land & Early People - Chapter 2: Native Americans
- Lesson 2 - 5: the Eastern Woodlands, the Plains, the Southwest and West, the Northwest and the Arctic
IN MATH & SCIENCE:
- Fractions: We will be wrapping up fractions. This week we will determine if answers are reasonable and solve word problems. Review work on Wednesday and test on Friday.
- Mountain Math
- We will conclude our matter unit on Monday by making homemade ice cream. :) Next we will be studying ecosystems.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, passed out every Monday and due the following Monday. Pleas initial your child's log on the days he/she reads.
- Weekly MobyMax Log: 1 round of Fact Fluency and at least 10 minutes of Math, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's math grade).
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off. Assignments will be posted on Facebook and Remind.
THURSDAY 9/21: Unit 1 Spelling Test
FRIDAY 9/21: Daily Language Quiz (preparation for this will be done during class when we review our daily warmup questions)
FRIDAY 9/21: Fraction Test
FRIDAY 9/21: Mountain Math Quiz (unless student goes to small group) - work will be completed in class, reviewed/corrected on Thursday, and quiz on Friday.
- Join our classroom Facebook page! Search Davis/Martin 5th Grade or enter the following url: https://www.facebook.com/groups/davismartin/. We will upload photos from the week, as well as important information and reminders.
- If you are not a Facebook person, you can receive homework and test announcements from Remind. Follow this link to sign up for Mrs. Davis' homeroom and choose this link for Mrs. Martin's homeroom.
Mon. Sept. 26th: Pee Wee Cheer Clinic
Fri. Sept. 30th: Traveling Pep Rally - Blytheville Blackout
Thurs. Oct. 6th: School Pictures
Fri. Oct. 7th: Homecoming Hero (dress like a hero)
Wed. Oct. 12th: End of First Quarter
Thurs. Oct. 20th: Parent-Teacher Conferences (early dismissal)
Mon. Oct. 24th: Red Ribbon Week