PARENT REMINDERS - 11/13/2014
TEXAS ACE AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM INFORMATION SHARING
Below are some updates about our Texas ACE Afterschool programming.
- FOOTBALL - the charter league has confirmed Saturday's game at LBJ at 9:30 AM. Permission slips with details were sent home for you to sign and were due back this past Monday (11/10).
- 8th and 9th Graders have begun STAR prep afterschool as their testing begins on December 1st when we return from Thanksgiving holiday. The prep sessions are from 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM Monday - Thursday.
- The Parent Cook-Off brings fun competition and lots of family fun. Join the excitement on Tuesday, November 18th (revised date) and SIGNUP NOW!
- Parent Volunteers for each grade are needed to help set-up the Parent Cook-Off and serve as room monitors. Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering.
- B.M.X. (Boys Making eXperiments) is on Wednesday's and will be held from 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM. During this time our young men will focus on activities that emphasize STEM learning (Science Technology Engineering and Math). They will learn different ways that STEM is apart of our day to day lives. If you are interested in your child participating then please email me directly. We have space for 10 young men.
- G.E.M.S. are beginning to build their microscopes.
- NOVELty - is still enjoying reading Paradise.
- In preparation for our winter show S.O.S. (Saving Ourselves) on Friday, December 12th the Fine Arts staff needs all Dancers, Theatre Students and Band members to stay until 6:00 PM for their respective rehearsals.
Friendly reminder to please SIGN-UP for the COOK-OFF by TOMORROW, November 14th.
ACE Program Manager
TxEA PARENT ENGAGEMENT WORKSHOP SERIES
As part of our 21st Century grant parent participation is a requirement. To fulfill this requirement we will have a series of six classes that started this October 2014 - April 2015 . There will be a raffle for those who attend at least four out of the six (4 out of 6) workshops!!
1. October - Budgeting Your Paycheck (completed)
2. November - First Aid/CPR Class - TONIGHT
3. January - How to prepare for college
4. February - Cover Letter/Resume Writing
5. March - Home Buying 101
6. April - Car Maintenance
150 Ways To Show Kids You Care (List = #1-#5)
1. Notice them
2. Smile a lot.
3. Acknowledge them.
4. Learn their names. (other students/friends of your children)
5. Seek them out.
1. Tómelos en cuenta.
2. Sonría con frecuencia.
3. Exprese su reconocimiento.
4. Aprenda sus nombres (otras estudiantes)
(Written for parents from the Healthy Communities Healthy Youth organization.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENTS (UPDATED)
- Thursday, November 13 - Parent Engagement Workshop#2, see you TONIGHT!
- Saturday, November 15 - Flag Football Championship, 9:30 AM LBJ High School open fields
- Tuesday, November 18 - Parent/Staff Cook Off (Sign-up Now)
- Thursday, November 20 - TxEA Holiday Lunch, 12:00 Noon
- Tuesday, November 25 - Early Release NO AFTERSCHOOL
- Wednesday, November 26 - Friday, November 28 - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Monday, December 1 - School and Texas ACE Afterschool resumes
- Monday, December 1 - Friday, December 5 - Star Testing EOC
- Friday, December 12 -Science Fair Written Reports and Science Fair Boards Due
- Friday, December 12 - TxEA Winter Show S.O.S. (Saving Ourselves), Huston-Tillotson Seabrook Chapel
- Tuesday, December 16 -TxEA MS Science Fair Presentations & Judging