May 3, 2021 Principal Message
Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
Dear Jeffreys Grove Families,
It is hard to believe we have entered the month of May! May is the the month of spiral reviews and EOG preparation for grades 3-5. Our students are showing off their skills and knowledge and building their stamina to demonstrate their learning. In the upper grades students are looking at their own data and setting personal goals to focus on what really matters - their own progress relative to where they started.
May is also the time to show our teachers how much we value and appreciate them all year round! Teacher Appreciation week is May 3rd through 7th and we need your help to shower our teachers with special messages. A simple personalized thank you note from your family is a powerful way to do this! The JG PTA has also come up with a week of suggested things your child can do to show their appreciation for their teacher. - Click here for more information.
Please note that the Remote Learning Day previously planned for May 5 for traditional calendar students has been moved to May 13. May 13 had previously been designated as a teacher workday, but that workday was moved to accommodate the district’s shift to Plan A. The remote learning day was moved to allow schools and families to retain activities originally scheduled for May 13. View calendar.
- May 5 - regular school day
- May 13 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- May 26 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- June 10 - last day of school for students
Deadline for Virtual Academy Registration is TODAY
The registration window for the WCPSS Virtual Academy will close Sunday, May 2 at 5 p.m. Anyone wishing to register outside this window will not be guaranteed a seat in the Virtual Academy, due to staffing and scheduling issues. Register today or learn more.
We will be sending confirmations letters to registered families by the end of the day on May 12.
End of Year technology updates
- Students returning to any WCPSS school will keep their currently checked out Chromebooks. We will not collect Chromebooks from any student who is returning to any WCPSS school. We will only collect these from students who are withdrawing from WCPSS.
- All hotspots must be collected by the end of the school year. Information regarding hotspot availability for next year will be shared at a later date by our district.
- Students who are issued a WCPSS Chromebook must bring it with them to school daily.
- All students who do not have a district device will be assigned one at the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. This is a district initiative - devices and procedures will be provided.
Accessing Instruction While Absent
If your child must quarantine due to having a symptom of illness, exposure or a positive COVID diagnosis, we will temporarily place them in a Virtual Academy classroom so that they can access their work. They are only expected to access their work if they are feeling well enough to do so! If they are ill and cannot complete their work, please let the teacher know and they will work to allow them to make it up upon their return.
Health measures for 21-22 school year
While there is no way for us to know at this time what health precautions will be required in August, we’re preparing for a traditional start. We recognize the difficult challenge this creates for families needing to make an informed decision now about how their student will attend school next year. Whether you choose to attend school in person or remotely through the Virtual Academy, we are committed to providing every student with relevant, rigorous, and meaningful learning every day that aligns with North Carolina’s grade-level standards.
The health and safety of our students is always our top priority. We will continue to adhere to any health measures required by the NC Department of Health and Human Services and consult with Wake County Public Health to determine what precautions are needed in our school to keep our students, staff, and community healthy in a safe and welcoming environment.
Hello JG Community,
It's hard to believe it's May, and I hope you are enjoying the warmer weather!
In my newsletter below, you will find information about my May lessons with classes, our Positivity Project focus, and a few resources. As we approach the time of EOGs, I know some students are experiencing some test anxiety. One resource lists some signs of test anxiety and helpful strategies to help with it. Another resource has information about some summer camps. Hope you have a great week!
SOAR on Eagles,
- Looking for ways to support JGMES? Click here to register your student(s) for the Spring No Fuss Fundraiser and share their custom link with friends and family to ensure that each Jeffreys Grove classroom is outfitted with the same quality technology being installed in new schools.
- Looking to get more involved at JGMES? You came to the right place! We are in need of volunteers year round to help make JGMES the best school it can be. Please take a moment to fill out our PTA Volunteer Interest Survey. Thank you in advance; we couldn't do this without YOU! Note: Completing this survey does not obligate you to do anything.
- Looking for ways to get connected with the JG PTA and other Jeffreys Grove families? Join Memberhub! The Jeffreys Grove PTA uses Memberhub as a means of communication with families throughout the year. Cheri Thomas, the JG PTA President, sends out a weekly newsletter, providing "save the date" information, fundraising updates, advocacy information, and other school-wide information. Please click here to join Jeffreys Grove Memberhub."