National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
- Pelvic/Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Change in eating habits like eating less and feeling full fast
- Needing to urinate often
- Feeling fatigued often
- Sour stomach
- Pain in the back
- And menstrual changes
If you are experiencing these symptoms on a daily basis for several weeks you should see your doctor. Even if it isn't Ovarian Cancer it could still be serious.
One treatment option may be better for one woman than another. The right treatment option is decided by the stage of the disease, the age of the woman, and the woman's health in general. There are three main treatment options to get rid of the cancer. However, certain therapies have been know to help, too.
Surgery is the first treatment option, and it also the most popular. This treatment removes the cancerous tumor from the ovaries. It is suggested to be done by a gynecologic oncologist.
Chemotherapy is another common cancer treatment. Chemicals are injected into the bloodstream to kill off the dangerous cells. This prevents the cancerous cells from attacking more healthy cells. Chemotherapy is often used after the patient has gone through surgery to make sure any other cells throughout the body are taken care of. This stops the cancer from spreading to other areas.
Radiation therapy is the third option. This type of treatment is rarely used for Ovarian Cancer. X-rays are used to destroy cancer cells and shrink cancerous tumors.
Therapy options include:
- Herbal Medicine
- Qi Gong
- Reducing stress
- Tai Chi
What You Can Do to Help the NOCC
- Attending Runs and Walks - The NOCC holds walks and runs all around the country. These events are designed to bring attention to Ovarian Cancer. Going to the runs and walks is a great way to meet survivors and people who are still fighting; you get to hear their inspirational stories.
- Volunteer- Become a volunteer at different events near you. There are plenty of things that need to be done at the events like running different tents, or helping out at get togethers. They need as many volunteers as they can get!
- Become a Sponsor - Start up a new project or fundraiser in your community. It is a great way for people to get informed about Ovarian Cancer. You can hold a dinner/lunch/breakfast, a party, or you could sell merchandise.
- Donate - Donating is a great way to help out the NOCC. They use the money to hold the different events. You can either donate directly by sending in money, or you can purchase merchandise from the organization. Every donation helps that much more to bring awareness to a devastating cause.
Visit www.ovarian.org for more information.