The School Scoop
Never stop learning because life never stops teaching.
September 25, 2015
- Sept. 24 - Oct. 2 - UIL Tryouts
- Friday, Sept. 25 - Student Dance - 5th/6th grade dance 5:30-7:00 and 7th/8th grade dance 7:30-9:30
- Friday, Sept. 25 - Lisa Dietz technology training in the conference room during all conference periods
- Wednesday, Sept. 30 - Science PLC @ 10:49-12:46 - meet in library
- Friday, Oct. 2 - Picture Day
- Friday, Oct. 2 - Final UIL List Due to Ashley
- Friday, Oct. 2 - VAMS Campus Cookout @ Ryan's
- Saturday, Oct. 3 - Fall Festival 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at the high school - Live country band from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 5 - Fair Day - No School
- Tuesday, Oct. 6 - Sunshine Birthday Lunch (Yay!!)
- Wednesday , Oct. 7 - Social Studies PLC @ 10:49-12:46 - meet in conference room
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 - Quarterly Test Training in Library @ 3:45 for new teachers and new teacher aides
- Thursday, Oct. 8 - Progress Reports
- Friday, Oct. 9 - Conference Meetings with Ryan in the Conference Room
- Saturday, Oct. 10 - Van Alstyne Education Foundation Clay Shoot 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM (more information below)
- Oct. 12 - Oct. 14 - Quarterly Tests (see schedule below)
- Wednesday, October 14 - College Day (more information below)
- Friday, Oct. 16 - Lisa Dietz in the Conference Room all day for Technology Training
Shout-out to the Math, ELA, and Reading PLC groups for having a great first meeting! We were excited to hear the discussions you were all having! Great teamwork!
One last shout out to our grade level teams for your awesome communication with parents through Smore newsletters and Remind! You guys are awesome!!!
In order to increase college awareness amongst our students, we are going to have a College Day once a quarter. Our first College Day will be on Wednesday, October 14. On this day, we will celebrate different universities and colleges. During this time, our 8th graders will learn about things they will encounter at the high school (GPA, SAT test, ACT test, graduation endorsements, scholarship opportunities, and much more). Cammi will create the high school lessons for the 8th graders.
On College Day, the students are welcome to wear college attire, including a college hat...and we want YOU to participate too by wearing your favorite college attire! If you have any great ideas to share let Cammi, Ryan, or Kelly know! We look forward to this being a fun time and for the students to learn more about the possibilities that lie before them!
Quote of the Week
Let's Strive for Purple Cow Classes!
"Too often school is a place where creativity is systematically killed, individuality is stamped out, and boredom reigns supreme. There are really only two possibilities; either your class can be a reprieve from all of that or it can be a contributing factor.
Make your class stand out in the sea of sameness that is the educational landscape. Make it something remarkable worth talking about. Worth noticing- a Purple Cow. Boring stuff is invisible. It's a brown cow. Too many schools are filled with brown cow classes that blend into the background.
Students are hit with so much information and stimuli every day that to stand out in their minds, you must be remarkable. Standing out from the crowd is the only way to guarantee your message is received in a culture that is increasingly distracted and where attention spans are plummeting.
Please submit your nomination no later than the end of the day on Wednesday, Sept 30.
Either individually, or as a team, please nominate a student for Outstanding Student. This needs to be submitted by Wednesday, September 30th. If it is a team decision, please indicate that.