Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Week of August 17th
Wow, what a week!
I want to say thank you to all the students, parents, and staff at Irons Jr. High for a great first week. Although the start to the school year was not normal, everyone was able to rise to the occasion, just like HAWKS! As we move into the first full week of school I ask that all students continue to engage with the curriculum daily through canvas. If you need assistance please reach out to your teachers. They will be available by zoom, canvas conference, email or phone calls throughout each day while we are in full remote learning.
My staff has done an amazing job getting us to this point! Our hope is that in a few weeks we will start in person learning and be able to get a sense of normalcy back. But for now, we will do our best to support you and your student throughout remote learning. In closing I ask that we remember to remain kind and gentle, thoughtful and gracious with everyone during this difficult time.
As always - please let me know if something isn't right. We will not be perfect - but we will get better every day.
WE ARE HAWKS!
Return To Campus Ramp Up
We will ramp up in person learning for students on August 31st with a different group of students each day. This will allow us to practice our social distancing procedures in a smaller environment. This will serve as an orientation for any new students to Irons Jr. High, along with a good refresher for our returning students.
Starting Monday August 31, 2020 students who chose in-person learning will come to school one day that week based on the following alpha break.
8/31 - Last Names A through C
9/1 - Last Names D through J
9/2 - Last Names K through Q
9/3 - Last Names R through Z
Irons Yearbooks On Sale Now
2020-2021 yearbooks are currently available for $45, which will be the best price of the year!
Please go to www.Balfour.com to pre-order.
Online Curriculum Access Videos
Beginning on Wednesday, August 12, all students enrolled in Conroe ISD will start the school year in Remote/Online Instruction. Students in grades 3-12 will use Canvas. Please see the videos below to learn about accessing these systems.
- Grades 3-12: Canvas (student) – English
- Grades 3-12: Canvas (student) – Spanish
- Grades 3-12: Canvas (parent) – English
- Grades 3-12: Canvas (parent) - Spanish
Technology Help Desk
Conroe ISD will have a Technology Help Desk to assist teachers, students, parents, and guardians with Canvas, Seesaw, Parent Access, or Student Access. The Help Desk is available weekdays beginning Monday, August 10, from 7:30 AM until 9:00 PM. You may reach the Help Desk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 936-709-7658. Canvas users can also click the 'Help' button prior to logging in for assistance.
1. Students should log into Canvas via the Single Sign on System. To log onto the SSO follow these directions:
Step 1. Go to conroeisd.net
Step 2. Click on Conroe ISD SSO at the top of the webpage
Step 3. Log into the SSO by using the student's username and password
Step 4. Click on Canvas in the SSO
2. Once in Canvas, students will see their courses. They need to engaged with every course daily. The State of Texas has a rule that for students to receive credit for a course they must be in attendance 90% of the time. They have not waived this rule for remote learning - so it is imperative that students engage in their courses when they are scheduled.
3. During Remote Learning for All (through September 7, 2020) our teachers will have synchronous time available. Please see you teachers Canvas page for times.
4. Immunizations must be updated before the first day of school.
Nurse Marcelissen reminds us that Tdap (Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis) and Meningococcal are required BEFORE the first day of school, August 12, 2020, as well as any other immunizations not in compliance with state law.
The Department of State Health Services is NOT waiving the immunization requirements due to Covid-19. This includes those students receiving ON LINE instruction.
If your child has received these immunizations and you have NOT sent a copy to the school please forward your student's updated record via email to email@example.com or fax to (936) 709-8599. If you turned in the shot record last year we have all needed information on file.
If you wish to receive an exemption for immunizations, please request the form online at https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/school/exemptions.aspx . The form must be notarized and the original kept here in your student's health file.
5. Free and Reduced Meal Application must be updated by September 24th to continue to receive services after that date. The online application only take about 15 minutes to complete, and significantly speeds up the approval process.
6. Texas Governor's Executive Order mandates face covering will be required of all students and staff while on campus to mitigate exposure to COVID-19.
7. Curbside Meal Distribution will begin Thursday, August 13, breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside at Irons for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
We are no longer allowed by the state to distribute meals free to all students.
Meals will be available on the bus ramp Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. until noon. Multiple meals will be distributed on pick up days.
Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/ 2 lunch meals
Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/ 3 lunch meals
A student meal card located in Parent Access must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up. The card can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone. No change will be made for cash transactions and any change will be applied to student's meal account.
Pre-payments can be made at https://www.myschoolbucks.com/
Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the child nutrition website. https://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/