May 4 Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast/Ceremony
May 7-May 11 Teacher Appreciation Week
May 10 Scottie Choir and Plaid Percussion Concert 6:30pm in cafeteria
PTO General Assembly Meeting 6:15pm in cafeteria
Campus GT Showcase 5p-7p
May 14-17 STAAR Testing Closed Campus to Visitors and Volunteers
May 17th 4-7:30 Klein Art Department Spring Art Show @KMPC
May 18 Field Day Kinder-2nd 8:45-11:30 3rd-5th 12:15-3:00
May 21-25 StuCo "Dog Days of Summer" Animal Shelter support drive
May 21 Talent Show Auditions during specials (interested participants register here https://goo.gl/M1QSrM by May 17
May 23 End-of-Year Art Club Party 3:45-4:45
May 23-25 Buy One Get One Book Fair 8:00am-3:00pm
May 24 Book Fair Family Night 3:30-5:00pm
May 25 Storybook Parade (K-2) and Vocabulary Parade (3-5) 8:30-9:00
May 25 Mahaffey Hour of Honors (Grades 1-4 in their classroom/mod) 9:15-10:15
May 28 Memorial Day Holiday-No School
May 29 Kindergarten End of Year Celebration 2:00p-3:00p Cafeteria
May 30 5th Grade Awards 8:30-10:00; 5th Celebration 1:00-3:00 (for students and working volunteers only)
May 31 Talent Show (at school during the day)
May 31 Last Day of School/Early Release for Students
May Challenge and Focus:
Our challenge for you this summer is to beat the "summer slide" and read EVERY day in some way!
Former first lady and advocate for literacy, Barbara Bush, made it her mission " ...to improve the quality of life for Houstonians of all ages through the power of literacy—the ability to read, write, speak clearly, and think critically." Given her recent passing, and the breaching of the end of our school year, we felt this task was perfect to help in wrapping up our school year, as well as pay tribute to an amazing woman who knew the power of literacy
We encourage you to find new ways to discover books, experience new adventures and share them with friends. One way to get your hands on more books is to head to one of our many public libraries.
Our nearest Harris County Public Library, the Barbara Bush Branch Library on Cypresswood Dr. will be reopening it's door for the first time since Hurricane Harvey on Monday May 14th! They have MANY events for children throughout the summer, great books to check out and many more resources to enjoy.
You can find out more at http://www.hcpl.net/.
Also, be sure to check out the Klein ISD Reading Express for summer reading challenges, ideas and ways to check out books while we are away! https://goo.gl/Chws8f
• Thanks to everyone who sent in Box Tops for the Popsicle Party contest! Congrats to our Winning Classes: Merillat, Ripley, Ruiz, Sharp, Lockard, W, Merrbach, Sherrer, Brown
• Big THANK YOU for supporting our final Spirit Night of the year at Spring Creek Barbeque. They give back so much to our community so we are grateful that they choose to help our school! Winning classes will be announced May 10th, it was a GREAT turnout!
• Our Volunteer Appreciation Reception is Friday, May 4th at 9am. Please RSVP if you received the invitation from our Volunteer Coordinator. We are so thankful & appreciative of our Scottie Volunteers!!
• TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK is May 7-11th. We have provided a list of our “Teacher’s Favorite’s” here http://ptomahaffey.weebly.com/teacher-info.html or you can find the lists in the front office binder. We have some pretty sweet treats planned for our Mahaffey Teachers for the week!
• Please join us at our final General Assembly Meeting Thursday, May 10th at 6:15pm. We will give an update on our second year at Mahaffey as well as vote in 2018-19 Board-elect positions.
• Join us for STAAR Sidewalk chalk notes Monday May 14th 6:30pm front & back walkways.
• We are looking forward to Field Day -Volunteers, a signup is coming soon to help prepare lunch for our high school volunteers- as well as celebrating our 5th graders at the end of the school year!!
Thank you to all of our PTO Mahaffey families, teachers & staff who have supported our efforts this year!!
Klein ISD District Vision
To help achieve this goal, our district has created the resources at the link below.
Mahaffey Scotties help bring our Promise2Purpose to life through our PLAID values: Positive Purpose, Learners Leading, Aspiring Academics, Innovative Ideas and Dedicated Discipline.