The Gribbin Gazette
September 16, 2016
Monday: Send in 10-12 pictures for the students to share with the class. No need to bring in a poster board because we have made a special board in the room to put them on!
Friday: Students will read a book aloud to the class and they may bring an item for Show and Tell.
Our AMAZING class!
These past four weeks have been filled with wonderful learning experiences, practicing routines, and setting and accomplishing goals! Your students have been amazing listeners and role models for the rest of the school. We set little goals for ourselves each morning on what we need to work on to become the best students in the SCHOOL! Their love of learning and pride in their "ah ha!" moments brings such joy to my heart. They have truly developed a love of learning and are constantly working towards to developing and nurturing a Growth Mindset within themselves.
THANK YOU (yes, YOU!) for instilling this love and pride in your students and being a partner in their education!
Also, your child's digital reading log is in Google Drive. It should be ready to go for them to record their reading. If you prefer that your child fill out a paper copy, please let me know and I'll send one home with them. (1,500 pages is the goal for the year)
At Home Connections:
- Have students teach you how they fill out their Reading Logs in Google Drive
- Charge iPad nightly
- Have students show you their work in their Google Drive
Other Homework Options:
- iStation (istation user names and passwords are taped on the inside of their green take home folder)
- RAZKids (Password is the lizard icon)
- Good fit books from home, our classroom library or the BES library!
- Spelling City (Cherry Chums / Cherry Chums 2)
- Word Brain
- Hooda Math (Higher Level Thinking Activities)
- Xtra Math
- Math Flash Cards
We read the story The Dot, then we responded to some open-ended questions through writing!
The story is about a student who believed she couldn't draw. The story develops into her drawing a dot and then realizing she could do better. We discussed how this story modeled our belief of having a Growth Mindset and that we can always get better!
When your child's dot comes home, ask them to show you the fun app we used called Quiver! It is designed to take their artwork and create a 3D image for them to be creative with!
September 16th - Spirit Day/Laps 4 Learning Pep Rally!
September 17th - Watch DOG Orientation 4-5pm
September 20th - Spring Creek Spirit Night/ Our class goes to library!
September 23rd - Spirit Day/FIELD TRIP PERMISSION SLIP DUE!
September 28th- Second Grade Field Trip to Casa Manana
September 30th - Spirit Day/Laps for Learning!
October 3rd - Snuffers Spirit Night!
October 6th - GT LEAD Curriculum Night
October 7th - Spirit Day
October 9th - PTA Meeting
October 10th - Student Holiday/Columbus Day
October 14th - Spirit Day/End of the 1st 9 Weeks! Dad's Club Movie Night
October 20th - BES Spirit Night at Kendra Scott
October 20th - October 28th - RED RIBBON Week
October 21st - Spirit Day!
November 3rd - Early Release!
November 4th - BES Carnival
Spelling Focus for Next Week:
#9 and #10 are 'High Frequency' Words that second graders are expected to learn. #11 and #12 are review words from the previous week.
You can find them on Spelling City for extra practice at https://www.spellingcity.com/christinehy/under the list titled "Snail Trail."
What Will We Learn Next Week???
- Students will be able to tell time to the nearest 5 minutes.
- Students will be able to differentiate between a.m. and p.m.
Language Arts (including Social Studies):
- Students will be able to understand and use non-fiction text features.
- Students will be able to write a story with a beginning, middle, and end.
- Students will be able to spell words with a consonant digraph.
- Students will be able to read and create a map.
- Students will be able to predict and observe changes in matter.
"School Made Applesauce!"
For a science experiment we learned how heat can change matter. Those apples got all yummy and mushy right before our eyes!
Will and Travis stirrin' the pot! :)
Carter was our first Star Student, and what a STAR he is!! He brought in great pictures to share, showed us cool gems from his rock collection and read us Pete the Cat! We're so lucky to have Carter in our class. Thanks for being an awesome friend to us all, Carter!
"School Made Applesauce!"
Last Minute Items:
- Make sure to follow us on Twitter @janet_gribbin and @BESTexans! There have been a couple of amazing classroom moments captured and posted on Twitter this week!
- Don't forget to sign up for Remind 101 for text message reminders! To receive messages via text, text jangribbin2@ to 81010.
Greysen being a great citizen :)
We all helped Mrs. Hendry's kindergarten class learn how to use shelf markers in the library. Both classes had so much fun!
Thank you, Mrs. Jackson! :)
Georgia's Mom took time out of her busy day as a Librarian to read to us on Wednesday. Needless to say, we LOVED spending time with her!
Today we had a blast participating in the pep rally to kick off the Laps for Learning fundraiser. Please check the Friday Folder for important info about this popular, fun PTA fundraiser.