Sustainable vs Unsustainable Energy Resources
What is sustainability?
- should be able to be maintained for it to be considered sustainable
Most sustainable energy sources
- uses fast flowing water that falls a great distance and harvesting its energy with a dam
- is naturally replenished; once its built it is an infinite energy source and is much safer compared to other energy sources
- converts the light we get from the sun into energy by the use of solar panels
- the use of solar energy had been universally accessible and flexible
- wind turbines are used to produce electricity by converting the kinetic energy in the wind
- it does not pollute air when used, is a domestic source of energy, and is cheap
Environmental impacts of oil sands
- deforestation to get to the oil
- uses vast amounts of fresh water
- animal habitats are destroyed
Fort McMurray Oil Sands
What are some ways we can reduce the amount of energy we use in our day to day lives?
Use a fan instead of air conditioning during the summer.
Use a timer to reduce the amount of energy used to light your home.
Cook foods together that require the same oven temperature. Limit pre-heating your oven.