A weekly update from the West Bloomfield School District
Lakers Online Orientations - August 13!
The district is hosting to upcoming orientations for students and families enrolled in Lakers Online for the 2020-21 school year. Orientation dates and times are listed below:
Presentations will be recorded and shared on our website and social media following each orientation.
Students and families can find Lakers Online resources by visiting www.wbsd.org/lakersonline or by contacting the district’s Teaching and Learning department at LakersOnline@wbsd.org or (248) 865-6479.
Meal Service - August Update
The district will be offering our Meal Service program through the summer. Preorder forms are available at www.wbsd.org/mealservice.
Beginning Monday, Aug 10, curbside meals will be distributed at ROOSEVELT site only.
Pick-ups will be on Monday and Thursday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Families will still receive seven days worth of food per child.
WBSD C2C Return to School Plan
Click the link below to view the presentation shared with families on July 21.
- Visit the Cloud Care webpage for more information.
- Registration begins on Aug. 5.
The new Chromebook students will received for the 2020-21 school year are intended to stay at home for learning purposes. Chromebooks will be available in classrooms for student use while physically attending school. Please be courteous and follow the schedule. Note there are late pick-up times and a make-up day available.
Chromebook pick-up dates and times along with more information regarding hotspots, insurance and forms are available on the Cloud Technology webpage.
WBSD Athletics Update - August 2020
Tuition Based Preschool
Call (248) 865-6466 for additional information and secure your spot today!
GSRP in WBSD
WB Community Education Update
West Bloomfield School District Community Education continues to provide online enrichment and fun educational opportunities in this virtual environment.
Since the Community Education department was unable to offer summer camp in June and July due to COVID19, an alternative, Camp in a Box has been created to keep kids engaged and motivated to learn.
Click here for more information.
LAST CALL!!! Fall 2020 ONLINE REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
First Lego League Grades 4-5th $200
First Tech Challenge Grades 6-8th $275
Click here to view all 10 classes
Young Rembrandts The Power of Drawing
Draw on Demand, no set time or dates! Courses range from anime, fashion and more!
WB Township Library Information
The West Bloomfield Township Main Library and Westacres Branch are now open for Phase 2 services.
The Library’s top priorities continue to be the safety of the public and Library staff and providing our community with access to our large circulating collections. We know that when using indoor spaces – like our Library buildings – density, duration and distance are issues of particular importance. The Library is adhering to all Executive Orders and following federal, state and local guidelines.
Thank you for your consideration and flexibility during Phase 1 of resuming service. We look forward to serving you in Phase 2.
Services Available in Phase 2 include Virtual, Curbside and Grab & Go
The NEW Grab & Go Service forms the basis of Phase 2
- Come into the Main Library or Westacres Branch buildings.
- Browse youth, teen and adult circulating collections.
- Select materials to enjoy at home and pick up materials you’ve placed on hold.
- Ask for reader’s advisory or reference assistance to help with your selections.
- Use self-check stations to check out materials.
- Pick up Summer Reading materials and Reading Reward incentives that have been earned.
- Leave the building after about 45 minutes inside.
- Masks are required in the buildings.
Remember your library card or keytag for self checkout!
Summer Reading Materials and Reading Rewards
The Summer Reading activity booklet, lawn sign and Reading Reward incentives that have been earned can be picked up inside Library buildings, through Parking Lot Pick-Up or at the Main Library Drive-Up Window. The Summer Reading Book Fair will continue until September 4. Select books from displays at the Main Library or Westacres Branch as you earn them. Or, let us know what type of books you like, and a librarian can select your reward books for you to pick up from Parking Lot Pick-Up or the Drive-Up Window. Read more about Summer Reading.
Main Library Drive-Up Window
Pick up items that you've requested be available at the Drive-Up Window, including materials you've placed on hold, a library card or Summer Reading Rewards that have been earned.
Parking Lot Pick-Up
This curbside service is available at both the Main Library and Westacres Branch during Library hours posted on our website.
Renew or request a library card in person
Ask at the Main Library Reception desk or the Westacres Branch Circulation desk. You can also continue to renew or request a library card on the Library’s website.
The online “Contact Us” feature to call, chat with, text or email a librarian
Use the Library’s website to ask questions, use the reader’s advisory service, request materials or obtain/renew a library card.
No other use of building spaces will be available during Phase 2.
The Quiet and Group Study rooms, Activity Centers, Meeting and Conference rooms, Casual Study room, and the Computer Lab will be closed during Phase 2. Other frequently touched surfaces such as computers, toys and play equipment, vending machines, water fountains and bill changer will not be available.
What to Expect When You Come to the Library during Phase 2
We ask you to protect yourself and others during Phase 2.
- We’re working together to protect each other and everyone in our community. Please don't enter the Library if you have a fever, feel unwell or are experiencing any symptoms related to COVID-19.
- To enter Library buildings, Library staff and Library users age two years and older are required to wear face masks and follow social distancing guidelines to stay 6 feet apart from anyone not living with them. We continue to offer Parking Lot Pick-Up and Drive-Up Window service so those who don’t want to wear a mask for any reason can still have access to all circulating collections. There is no need to come inside a Library building to check out the circulating materials you want.
- Protective measures are in place at the Main Library and Westacres Branch. Plexiglass shields have been installed at public service desks. Bathrooms have been upgraded with some additional touchless features. Floor markers indicate 6-feet spacing for social distancing. Hand sanitizer is available.
- Using self-check stations to check out items is strongly encouraged. This helps minimize close interactions to keep everyone safe. Self-check stations will be periodically cleaned throughout the day.
- The number of people allowed inside Library buildings will be limited, per state directives, to 25% capacity. If the capacity limit is reached, arriving visitors will be asked to remain outside the building until others leave. Only the South entrance to the Main Library will be open for use.
- Library staff will be available to help with renewing a library card or issuing a new one, finding materials you want, readers’ advisory and reference assistance, and answering questions about how to use the Library’s digital services such as how to download eBooks to tablets and other devices. Staff will wear face masks and follow social distancing guidelines.
- WiFi will be available. You can use your mobile phone or tablet to check the Library’s online catalog for materials you’d like to check out, in case you don’t want to use the Library’s online public access (OPAC) stations, which will be cleaned periodically. All other computers will be turned off for Phase 2.
- Interior book drops will be available during Library hours. Returned materials will continue to be quarantined and cleaned, per CDC guidelines. Returned materials remain on your library card account until after they have been quarantined and cleaned and are ready to be re-shelved. This may take 5 to 7 days.
More about Phase 2
We will continue to offer virtual programs during Phase 2. Please check the Event Calendar for a schedule of virtual Summer Reading programs.
Phase 2 Hours
Open hours have been reduced to give staff time to process requests and holds that are received overnight and to provide more time after the Library closes to thoroughly clean and disinfect surfaces.
Monday-Thursday 10 AM – 7 PM
Friday & Saturday 10 AM – 5 PM
Sunday Noon – 5 PM
REMINDER about returned materials
During Phase 2, returned materials will continue to be quarantined and cleaned. Your returned materials will remain on your library account until they are quarantined, cleaned and ready to re-shelve. This could take 5 to 7 days. If your account isn’t updated within 7 days, please let us know.
The eLibrary is open 24/7
We hope you’ll continue to visit the eLibrary often to connect to the large and growing number of digital resources that are available 24/7. You can:
Enjoy the latest eBook and eAudiobook titles
Watch movies and TV shows
Listen to albums and singles
Read more than 3,600 magazines
Keep up with news from national and international newspapers
Use the Learning Resource Center to match what you want to learn with resources for preschool to high school students, as well as adults
Check out our district and building calendars in order to stay up to date on all events going on in our district!