Scotch Elementary Newsletter: Week of March 2, 2020
Below are a few updates/reminders for our upcoming week.
MONDAY, MARCH 2
- Early Release - 3:07PM Dismissal Begins
- 5th Grade Camp Tanuga Camp Planning Form Due/$100 Deposit
- Little Caesars 5th Grade Fundraiser - Ends in 4 DAYS! Online Order #363782
- Lunch Choices: #1 Jet's Cheese Pizza #2 Cheeseburger #3 Chicken Caesar Salad
TUESDAY, MARCH 3
- Little Caesars 5th Grade Fundraiser - Ends in 3 DAYS! Online Order #363782
- Lunch Choices: #1 Mini Chicken Taco #2 Bosco Sticks #3 Chicken Ranch Salad
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4
- Math Pentathlon 2nd & 3rd Grade @ Gretchko
- Math Pentathlon 4th & 5th Grade @ Scotch iCenter
Incoming 6th Grade Parent Orientation Meeting @ Abbott Middle School 6:30PM
- Little Caesars 5th Grade Fundraiser - Ends in 2 DAYS! Online Order #363782
- Lunch Choices: #1 Mac & Cheese #2 Cheese Pizza #3 Popcorn Chicken Salad
THURSDAY, MARCH 5
- 4:15 - 5:15PM 5th Grade Boys Basketball Practice
- Little Caesars 5th Grade Fundraiser - Ends in 1 DAY! Online Order #363782
- Lunch Choices: #1 Chicken Tenders #2 Grilled Cheese #3 Chef Salad
FRIDAY, MARCH 6
- Wear your Scotch gear and show your school spirit!
- Bagel Friday - Bagels for sale $1
- Spring Picture Day Online Order # LM729226Y0
- Pine Tree Reading Program Ends
- 4:15 - 5:15PM 5th Grade Girls Basketball Practice
- Little Caesars 5th Grade Fundraiser - ENDS TODAY! Online Order #363782
- National Day of Unplugging - Begins at Sundown
- Lunch Choices: #1 Pancakes #2 Cheese Stuffed Breadstick #3 Yogurt Plate
SATURDAY, MARCH 7
- National Day of Unplugging - March 6th - 7th...Sundown to Sundown. We increasingly miss out on the important moments of our lives as we pass the hours with our noses buried in our devices. Take a break and spend some quality time with friends and family.
SUNDAY, MARCH 8
- Daylight Savings Begins...Set your clocks an hour ahead!
MONDAY, MARCH 9
- Early Release - 3:07PM Dismissal Begins
- 5th Grade Camp Tanuga Forms sent home to be signed
TUESDAY, MARCH 10
- No School - Presidential Primary Election Day - Voting Day!
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11
- Marco’s Pizza Night 5570 Cooley Lake Rd. 248-682-9700 Order online @ MARCOS.COM
MONDAY, MARCH 16
- Early Release - 3:07PM Dismissal Begins
THURSDAY, MARCH 19
- 10AM PCN Meeting @ Scotch
- 3rd Grade Music Concert “Right Here in Michigan” 6PM
SATURDAY, MARCH 21
5th grade Girls and Boys Intramural Basketball Game at WBHS
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25
- 5th Grade Fundraiser - Little Caesars Pizza Kit Delivery
MONDAY, MARCH 30 - FRIDAY, APRIL 3
Spring Break - No School
A NOTE FROM PRINCIPAL SCRIVO
MARCH IS READING MONTH
March is reading month at Scotch Elementary. Please encourage your child to continue to read on a daily basis. The right book can ignite a passion for reading. Work with your student to create a reading culture at home. Reading expands the mind, nourishes the imagination, and is just plain fun!
Parents, please join the Abbott Middle School administrators as they present information about your student’s successful transition to middle school this Wednesday, March 4th at 6:30PM in the Abbott Gymnasium.
SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE: By Josh from SmartSocial.com
SKULLBREAKER CHALLENGE (aka Trip Jump): Dangerous New Social Media Prank
The Skullbreaker Challenge, also called the Trip Jump Challenge, is a dangerous social media prank that’s landing some students around the world in the hospital. The videos, of teens tripping others, are made in an attempt to get more laughs and likes on TikTok, YouTube, and other social media platforms. But, the challenge can only happen at the expense of an unsuspecting person – some of whom are ending up with concussions, stitches, and broken bones.
Scotch Elementary School 2019 - 2020 School Improvement Goals:
60% of students will demonstrate growth in reading and math based on NWEA MAP by June 16, 2020.
60% of students will meet or exceed their projected growth goal on the NWEA MAP assessment in reading and math by June 16, 2020.
90% of students will be proficient in informational writing.
2ND MARKING PERIOD CHARACTER CONGRATULATIONS
STUDENT COUNCIL REPS PRESENT AT WBSD BOARD MEETING
Our Student Council Reps did a wonderful job presenting at this weeks board meeting. Students presented the 4c’s and how they incorporate them through fundraising and in the real world. Thank you for collaborating with each other and communicating to the community everything that we are doing at great Scotch!
SCOTCH ROBO MONKEYS
The Scotch Robo Monkeys FIRST Lego League Team: Chase Carson, Ian Hamann, Graham Kubiak, Luke Nuckolls and Jaeden Watts were highlighted at the West Bloomfield School Board Meeting on Monday, Feb. 24th for their 2019 advancement to the Michigan FLL State Tournament.
The Michigan FLL Qualifying Event took place in November and the Robo Monkeys were awarded outstanding performance in the area of FIRST Core Values. They advanced to the State Tournament in December 2019 and were awarded First Place for Inspiration, which recognizes their outstanding commitment to the FIRST Core Values. With an outstanding level of commitment and dedication, this team obtained two consecutive years of high honors for their participation in FIRST. Way to go Robo Monkeys. We are so proud of you!
SCOTCH THANKS OUR FIRST RESPONDERS
Our Scotch community is an amazing one. During the month of February our students showed appreciation to our first responders in West Bloomfield by writing letters. Student wrote letters to responders to express how important they are in our lives and to thank them for all that they do each and every day.
WB Police Officers - Fire Fighters - Emergency Medical Technicians
PENNIES FOR PATIENTS - LEUKEMIA FUNDRAISER
This is our last week of collecting Pennies for Patients for our Leukemia Fundraiser! The fundraiser will end next Friday, March 6, 2020. Money should be turned in to the classroom teacher. Our school wide goal is $1,000. The class who raises the most money will get a FREE OLIVE GARDEN PARTY.
A BIG THANK YOU to all of the families who donated towards the Leukemia fundraiser. We would like to give a special thank you to the Ryba and Bakkal family for their donation online. Thank you to everyone for the very generous donations!
Incoming 6th Grade Parent Orientation Meeting
Wednesday, March 4th, 6:30pm
3380 Orchard Lake Road
West Bloomfield Township, MI
5TH GRADE FUNDRAISER LITTLE CAESAR PIZZA KITS
ORDER FORM AND PAYMENT DUE DATE
FRIDAY, MARCH 6TH
Our annual 5th grade fundraiser to help offset the cost to send your/our students to camp has begun. This fundraiser will run through Friday, March 6, 2020.
4PM - 6:30PM ORDER DELIVERY DAY!
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25th
Did you know that you can also order your items online? It's super easy to do. The Scotch code for ordering online is #363782. Click HERE and get started! Thank you in advance for your donation.
LITTLE CAESAR PIZZA KIT IMPORTANT REMINDERS:
1. Make sure to put your child's name and a contact phone # on your order form.
2. Tally your order form down and across.
3. Payment must be turned in with your order form.
4. Verify you have the correct amount of money for the orders placed.
5. Make checks payable to Scotch PTO.
6. Please do not staple checks to the order form.
7. Make a copy of your order form for your records. We will return your order form on pickup day, but in the event something happens, you will have a back-up.
8. Please make note of the pick up day and time above. The kits are perishable and the school does not have the room to store kits overnight so they must be picked on the designated day and time. Please make arrangements accordingly.
Thank you for supporting Scotch!
MUSIC @ SCOTCH 3RD GRADE
In coordination with the social studies curriculum, we will be presenting a show entitled, “Right Here in Michigan.” It will feature music about Michigan and music from Michigan musicians and artists. Our concert will be on Thursday, March 19, at 6:00pm right here at Scotch School.
I am still in need of photos of the students, “Right Here in Michigan.” If you have a digital photo of your child some place identifiably in Michigan please send me a copy at the address below. Please include your child’s name and teacher. Thanks so much for your help.
Carl Battishill, Scotch Music Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
PINE TREE 2019 - 20 PROGRAM
This is the last week to finish up your Pine Tree Reading. Our Pine Tree Program will be ending next Friday, March 6, 2020.
Please see below for a complete list of the expectations, guidelines & rules for the Pine Tree 2019-20 program. Thank you for participating!
Scotch School is participating in Crayola ColorCycle program. We are collecting all types and brands of dried up markers and highlighters to be recycled by Crayola. Please send your markers to school and ask your child to place them in the green marker recycling box in the cafeteria. Thank you!
SCOTCH CELEBRATES EVERGREEN STATUS AGAIN!
We are pleased to announce that Scotch School has received Evergreen Status again this year as a Michigan Green School! This honor means our staff and students have completed at least 15 activities related to protecting the environment. This is the fifth year in a row that Scotch has been recognized!
We earned points in various categories such as recycling, environmental protection, and energy conservation. Thank you to all the students, families, and staff who supported this endeavor by encouraging trash-free lunches, plastic and paper recycling at school, and environmental awareness for our students.
Scotch School has been recognized for its outstanding leadership in environmental stewardship efforts and for spearheading activities which involve the students, staff, parents, volunteers and community. We will be recognized with a celebration and will also receive another patch for our Green school flag.
SIGN UP - DODGEBALL WITH MR. D
PTO SCOTCH SPIRIT WEAR
Would you like to purchase some Scotch Spirit Wear for your student? Some of the many choices include:
Hoodie Sweatshirts $35
T - Shirts $20
Email Heather Donnelly at HeatherDonnelly@outlook.com with questions, or if you would like to place an order.
Donate and recycle your printer cartridges by dropping them off at the Scotch front office. Feel free to drop them off anytime of the day, or have your student just bring them to school.
The #DoodleForGoogle contest is now open! This year's theme is “I show kindness by...”. Participate by having your students create a Doodle explaining what kindness means to them.
*SCOTCH WEEKLY REMINDERS*
SCOTCH BELL SCHEDULE
8:55 AM - Student drop off begins/students line up outside at buses.
9:06 AM - Students may enter the building. First bell rings!
9:12 AM - Car line student is late and a parent must park and sign-in at the office.
If there is not a staff member outside at drop off, you must walk your student in.
This is a safety issue. All building doors will be locked at this time.
9:15 AM - Sharp! Instruction begins.
3:07 PM - Students are dismissed for Early Release Mondays.
4:07 PM - Student dismissal.
4:25 PM - Car line services end.
IMPORTANT: When exiting the car line you may only use the Hiller/Orchard Lake exit. We have set this process up with the West Bloomfield Police Department for the safety of our students. Our Commerce Road exit is used for buses only!
4:25 PM - Students not picked up by a parent or guardian before this time will be taken to Kids Klub. The drop-in fee for Kids Klub is $15/$25 per visit and $25 for Early Release Monday.
Annual Registration fee is $60 per student or $90 per family.
Call the Scotch Safeline at 248-865-3282 by 9:30AM if you know that your child will be late or absent from school. If you have not called the safeline by 9:30AM you will be automatically notified via phone/email that your student is absent from school. Your student's absence will be unexcused unless we receive a phone call within 24 hours
WINTER RECESS REMINDER
All students are expected to go outside for recess and the bus line, unless the actual or wind chill temperature is 0 degrees or below. If your student needs to stay in for recess, we require a doctor’s note.
SHOULD MY CHILD STAY HOME?
When students are ill, they need to stay home. If your child has any of the following symptoms, please do not send him/her to school:
Fever of 100 degrees or more. Children should stay home until the fever has been gone for 24 hours, without the use of fever reducing medications.
Vomiting or severe diarrhea. Children should stay home until symptoms have been gone for 24 hours.
Severe cold. A little sniffle is not a reason to stay home, but a severe cold or influenza is.
Severe sore throat, a persistent cough, or an earache.
A severe headache.
If your child has a communicable disease, she/he should not come to school. Common childhood communicable diseases include chicken pox, measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc. Please call and inform the office when your child has a communicable disease.
If your child needs to stay in, or sit out for recess or gym class due to illness or injury, we require a doctor’s note. If your student is well enough to attend school, it is expected that he/she is well enough to participate in recess.
MESSAGES FOR STUDENTS
Please make sure that your child knows what they will be expected to do when the school day is over before they leave home in the morning. Staff is not available to hand deliver messages throughout the day, and when the bell rings at the end of the school day it becomes quite difficult to reach individual children for whom we have messages. We will be happy to deliver messages in an EMERGENCY situation, but if at all possible, please make sure that your child(ren) know(s) who will pick them up, if they are car-line, or ride the bus, before they leave for school. NO TRANSPORTATION REQUESTS OR CHANGES WILL BE GRANTED AFTER 3:45PM.
STUDENT NOTES - IMPORTANT/LABEL WITH TEACHER NAME
All student notes visit both the office and the teacher. All notes are stamped and approved at the front office, therefore these notes must contain first, last, and teacher name. Please ensure the note size is at least 4 x 6 inches so it does not get lost in transit. No sticky notes please.
PEANUT/TREE NUT RESTRICTED CLASSROOMS
All classrooms at Scotch Elementary School are peanut and tree nut free, therefore students are not allowed to have these items for snack in any classroom. Please help us keep our students safe. Acceptable classroom snack items are fresh fruits and vegetables. All other food items may be eaten at lunch time in the lunchroom. Nut Restricted Zone Parent Letter
FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON IN WB
ABBOTT MIDDLE SCHOOL PRESENTS "SHREK JR."
Abbott Middle School will be presenting "Shrek Jr." on Feb. 28-29 at West Bloomfield High School. Tickets are available at ShowTix4U.com.
Feb. 28 - 7 p.m.
Feb. 29 - 3 p.m. & 7 p.m.
Beauty is in the eye of the ogre in Shrek The Musical JR., based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks Animation film and fantastic Broadway musical. It's a big bright beautiful world as everyone's favorite ogre, Shrek, leads a cast of fairytale misfits on an adventure to rescue a princess and find true acceptance.
- Oakland County Health Flu Information/Resources
- Oakland County Health Novel Coronavirus Information/Resources
- Read by Grade 3 Legislation Parent Letter
- WB Community Ed Spring Break Camp 2020 Registration
- JCC Break Camp Flyer
- New Middle School Updates
- Nut Restricted Zone Parent Letter
- Oakland County, Oakland Schools, and the Alliance align to prevent vaping
- WB Township Library News and Events
- In order to stay up to date on all events, resources, and programs, please access the district website, www.wbsd.org. Join in the conversations by connecting with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Contact Dan Durkin, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator email@example.com, (248) 865-6454