November - 2022
End of Quarter 1
Parents can monitor student progress by using Canvas & ParentVUE.
Quarter grades are not final grades, but mark the halfway point to the end of Semester 1 (Jan. 26), when grades will be added to transcripts.
In-Person & Virtual Family-Teacher Conferences
Nov. 21st & 22nd
Conferences & time to connect with teachers will be In-Person (21st) & Virtual (22nd) this year. This is a great opportunity to connect individually with your student's teachers, hear about all the great things they're learning, stay informed if there are any concerns & develop a plan for student success.
In-Person conferences on the 21st will be drop-in (no appointments) during daytime & evening hours. Virtual conference appointments on the 22nd will be limited. Instructions will be available in the coming days on how to schedule virtual appointments.
College & Career
College & Military Visits
Students should login to Maialearning.com using their school google account.
Under the "university" tab, the scheduled visits can be found.
In-person visits @ McDaniel are:
- Portland State University - Nov. 8 @ 10am
- West Point Academy - Nov. 9 @ 12:30pm
- Portland Community College - Nov. 10 @ 10am
- US Air Force Academy - Nov. 10 @ 1pm
- Hampshire College - Nov. 15 @ 10am
- University of Oregon - Nov. 15 @ 1pm
- Mt. Hood Community College Trades Programs - Nov. 28 @ 2pm
- Portland Commmunity College Trades Programs - Dec. 14 @ 9:15am
Counselors Meeting w/ Juniors
Next Level Mentoring
Formerly known as Advanced Scholars, Next Level Mentoring @ McDaniel seeks to support 10th-12th grade students. Not all students plan to attend a traditional, 4-year college after graduation. This new program allows our talented students to get mentorship for not only their preparation for college but for the trades, apprenticeships & non-traditional programs following graduation. To apply & get connected with a mentor, students should submit this FORM.
Supporting Seniors - Next Steps
Seniors needing help with their plan should connect with their school counselor or our NEW College Coordinator Esthera Magda (in 227). Together we will help students navigate the steps needed to make their plans a reality.
If your senior still needs to complete their FAFSA/ORSAA & needs help, drop-in support will be available during in-person conferences Nov. 21 from 9am-3:00pm.
Students can also schedule an appointment with their counselor for support.
November is National Scholarship Month
- Prioritize scholarships specific to the colleges they are applying to.
- Get the OSAC scholarship application started, it opened Nov. 1. This is how students apply to the McDaniel specific scholarships available.
- Create an account with Going Merry & apply for various scholarships with 1 application.
- Check out this list from Oregon GEAR UP
Students who demonstrate the following will be competitive:
- Leadership potential
- Outstanding character
- Service to community
- Responsibility & strong work ethic
- Commitment to education
Application closes March 1st.
- $4,000 renewable scholarship
- high-achieving (3.0+ GPA)
- low-income students
- first in their family to earn a bachelor’s degree.