January 7, 2014
Glenview Library Letter
I'm really excited about the beginning of the Spring Semester, and I have a lot of ideas in store for the Library! I want to make sure there is clear and helpful communication for teachers from the Library about events and resources. My main method of letting you know what's going on is this S'More newsletter, sent out once a week.
Two updates to the newsletter:
- Library Schedule: There is now a button at the bottom of all newsletters that you can click on to go directly to the most up to date version of the Library's schedule.
- Online Card Catalog: Right under that you will find a link to the online card catalog in case you need to look up a book or author.
Win an iPad Mini from Limitless Libraries!!!
I want to let you know about the contest Limitless Libraries has for teachers this month. It’s so easy to enter, and you could win an iPad Mini! All you have to do is request an item from Nashville Public Library using your educator card. Each time you request something using that card, you get an entry in the drawing for an iPad Mini. There is no limit to the number of times you can enter! One winner will be drawn from each school tier (elementary, middle, and high).
Limitless Libraries is tracking the requests through the educator card type, so requests made through your personal card won’t be included. Plus, when you request things through your educator card they can be sent to you here at school, so it’s much more convenient anyway!
Unsure how to get an educator card? You already have one! This year Limitless Libraries uploaded all MNPS educators into their system and created educator accounts for them automatically. Your educator card number is your employee ID number. If you’ve used an educator card before, your pin number should be the same. For new educator card users, your pin should be 2013. If you have trouble, just let me know and I can contact Limitless Libraries.
Before you can request items using your educator card, you must activate it. You’ll just need to follow these steps, wait 1 business day for the new information to sync with NPL’s system, and you can start requesting!
1. All Educator Cards must be activated for the 2013-2014 school year. Your card will not work if you do not activate it, even if you used it last year.
2. To activate your card, go to www.limitlesslibraries.org and log in using your MNPS employee ID number in lieu of a card number.
3. If you are not a first time Educator Card holder, enter your PIN. If you have forgotten your PIN, use the Forget Your PIN? link to reset the number. If you are a first time educator card holder, your PIN will be 2013 until you reset it to your preferred number.
4. Once you are logged in, click the Modify Personal Information link.
5. Insert and verify your email address into the Modify Personal Information form, select your school, and click “submit.”
Please let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully someone from our school will win! :)
Nashville Public Library Food for Fines (including Limitless Libraries)
It’s that time of year again! Nashville Public Library is holding its annual Food for Fines program, where you can donate food to waive your public library fines. This year you can bring all of your donations to school instead of a branch, and for the first time ever, you can get fines waived for lost and damaged items, too!
Here’s how it works:
· Food for Fines runs from Jan. 6-Jan. 19.
· Check your public library account to see if you have any fines.
· $1.00 will be waived from your account for every non-perishable food item that you bring in.
o Accepted food items:
§ Peanut butter
§ Canned chicken or tuna
§ Canned vegetables
§ Canned fruit
§ Canned soups
o Please do NOT bring the following (NPL cannot give them to Second Harvest):
§ Glass containers
§ Opened containers or packages
§ Expired or repackaged items
· Lost and damaged item fees will ONLY be waived if you bring your food donations to school. It’s a special promotion through Limitless Libraries, and NASHVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY LOCATIONS WILL NOT WAIVE LOST AND DAMAGED ITEM FEES!
· Bring all of your donations to me in the library. I will complete a log to send to Limitless Libraries, so make sure you give me the following information:
o Your name
o Your library card number (your employee number if you want fines waived on your educator card)
o Number of cans you’re donating.
The last day to drop off food items at school is Friday, January 17. Items will still be accepted through January 20 at Nashville Public Library locations, but remember that they will not waive lost or damaged item fees for you!
Please let me know if you have any questions.
The Dewey Club
New at the the Glenview Library… The Dewey Club!
This club is open to all first through fourth grade students. To join, students may stop by the Library to pick up a booklet.
They will need to read one book in each of the 10 Dewey Decimal categories, plus one biography, and keep track of it using the booklet.
For each book, they will record the title, author, call number, and two interesting facts learned. They will take the AR test if there is one.
Then, the students can turn in the booklet to join the club!
All students who complete the tasks will earn a colorful READ bracelet and their photo and book list will be displayed in the hallway.
The first 10 students to complete the challenge automatically earn 2 free books. All participating students will also be entered into a drawing to win two free books!
Please tell your class about the Dewey Club. Any interested students can pick up a booklet any time they come to the library to check out books.
Glenview Library Book Blog, NEW BOOKS and TEACHER REVIEWS!
We have some great new books in the library, and a book blog that needs some reviews.... So, if you would like to check out a new book or two, and write a short review following a template, you can have first pick of checking out and reading a new book! I'd like to get some teacher reviews posted so that students will have some good models to follow.
To visit our Book Blog, just go to http://glenviewlibrary.weebly.com/ and click on Book Blog in the upper right corner.
Just send me an email to let me know you are interested, and I will forward you the template. Thank you in advance for participating!