Principal Update: Week of March 27
Connecting * Informing * Supporting
From Principal Andrews
The PTA Nominating Committee is looking for interested candidates to serve on the 2023-24 GMA PTA board. The board meets the first Friday of every month and helps guide PTA activities involving students, teachers, and parents. This includes activities such as fundraising, teacher incentives, student incentives, Reflections, 8th grade day and dance, Frosty Friday, Tasty Tuesday, Spirit Wear, and more. If you’re a parent who is interested in getting more involved with GMA, this is a great opportunity! Please contact nominating board chair, Bob Coler, at email@example.com.
Best wishes to our Olympians as they participate in Special Olympics on Wednesday! Our student body looks forward to our sendoff, which we'll post to our social media.
Report Cards will be distributed to students on Thursday, March 30. Included with Report Cards will be information about the state assessments our students will take in May.
Parents of rising 7th graders, please consider getting the required Tdap vaccination now. Students will not be able to start the 2023-2024 school year without this updated vaccination. Contact our school nurse with any questions.
Grab your GMA Spirit Wear now! The PTA has a limited extra supply of new GMA Spirit Wear. Go online to purchase.
Please consider donating much-needed items for the Drama Club's production of Beauty and the Beast.
It's time to place your Yearbook Order. Please visit our website for details.
Time to get more involved with GMA! We're looking for parent volunteers to assist with:
- Frosty Fridays. Sell ice cream treats to students during a Friday lunch shift. Sign up here.
- Tasty Tuesdays. Sell snacks to students during a Tuesday lunch shift. Sign up here.
- Eating breakfast? Make sure to arrive prior to 8:15 AM to ensure you are aren't missing any instructional time in 1st period.
- Tardies after 8:25 AM or later require that a parent enter the office to sign your student in to school.
- Mar 28 - Spring Sports @ Rudolph Gordon
- Mar 28 - Academic Enrichment
- Mar 29 - Special Olympics
- Mar 30 - Report Cards
- Mar 30 - 6th Grade Band Field Trip / 6th Grade Chorus Field Trip
- Mar 30 - Spring Sports vs. Woodmont MS
- Mar 31 - SIC Meeting
- Apr 3-7 - National Assistant Principals Week
- Apr 4 - National School Librarian Week
- Apr 4 - Spring Sports vs. Beck
- Apr 6 - STUCO Meeting
- Apr 6 - Spring Sports @ Ralph Chandler
- Apr 7 & Apr 10 - Teacher/Student Holiday (GCS Offices & Schools Closed)
Don't forget to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
As always, thank you for your support of Greenville Middle Academy. Let's have a great week!
THANK YOU - Friends of the Ram
Friends of the RAM
Consider Becoming a Substitute Teacher
Set Up Parent Backpack - An App for Parents & Guardians
Parent Backpack is an online application that allows parents and guardians to view your student's grades, school attendance, and discipline when you are logged into the system. Parent Backpack works on any device and is mobile-friendly.
To access Parent Backpack, go to https://parents.gcsbackpack.com and create an account. Please access directions by clicking on Creating a Parent Backpack Account.
Join our Greenville Middle PTA
Join the Greenville Middle PTA for $5 to show your support of our school community. Visit our online PTA store to purchase:
- Frosty Friday Punch Cards ($10)
- New GMA Spirit Wear
- Birthday Announcements ($10)
- Friends of the Ram Sponsorships ($25)
Visit our school PTA website to learn about parent volunteer opportunities. Current needs:
- Frosty Friday - Sign up here.
If you’re interested in volunteering for other opportunities throughout the year to help support other teacher, student, and parent activities, please click here.
Complete an online Volunteer form and let us know how you're interested in helping our school. Review the GCSD Visitor & Volunteer guidelines. GCSD has added the Volunteer Portal for those volunteers that have set up accounts to be able to manage/update their accounts.
Car Line Procedures
MORNING CAR LINE
- Student drop off begins at 7:30 AM and no earlier. Do not leave your student unattended.
- Stay in line to the far right and drop off and load at the front of the school. Students should quickly exit wherever they stop in the line and walk to the entrance of the school.
- Students cannot be dropped off in the parking lot. Please use the car line. Parking is reserved for parents who enter the building.
- Do not park on Lowndes Ave and allow students to exit your vehicle. You will be ticketed.
- Do not drop off or pick up students except in designated areas at the front of the building.
- Do not drop students off in the East North Street Academy (elementary) car line.
AFTERNOON CAR LINE
- Please be mindful that we have many students who walk to the church and walk home from school.
- All cars will line up in a single line in front of the school as far right as possible.
- Do not block roads, cross walks, intersections, or private residence driveways.
- When the lane fills up from the front porch of the school to the school entrance, traffic will begin to line up on Perrin Road in a single line.
- Pull as close to the curb on Lowndes and Perrin, as school buses will need to pass you on your left.
- We strongly encourage exiting to the right once leaving campus. This route will easily take you towards downtown and Pleasantburg.
- Student safety is our priority. We are using the Car Line System to assist us with a safe dismissal. Pay attention to staff directing cars in the line. We will utilize a double line to load cars and safely dismiss one line at a time.
- Please be courteous and take turns at the intersections.
Remember, we’re all learning procedures during the first few weeks of school, so please be patient.
PLEASE NOTE: Crossing Guards do not direct traffic. If you have a concern regarding traffic or crossing guards, please contact the Greenville County Sheriff's Department.
2022-2023 School Meals
Change from Last Year: Students who received free or reduced-price meals in the past must apply to receive them this year. The online application process for free and reduced-price meals is accessible here: http://greenville.schoollunchapp.com.
Breakfast - Available to all students at no cost.
- Paid Students: $2.50
- Extra Milk: $.65
Link to My School Bucks (add funds to account)
Our School Supply List has been updated for the 2022-2023 school year! Please click below to access the supply list:
2022-2023 School Calendar
2023-2024 & 2024-2025 School Calendars Released
Students will start the new school year on Tuesday, August 8, 2023. The last day of school will be Wednesday, May 22, 2024.
The calendars reflect a shift to allow the fall academic semester to end prior to Winter Break. This adjustment will be academically beneficial to students, and the feedback received regarding this shift was extremely positive, with 74% of respondents in favor, as detailed below. Midterms, finals and state testing will be completed before students leave for winter break, rather than in January when they return to school after an extended break.
GCS is releasing two years of calendars for the first time this year. Moving forward, the district’s Calendar Committee will provide a recommendation for an annual calendar two years in advance so families will always have two years of school calendars to use for planning purposes. The 2025-26 student calendar will be determined in Fall 2023.
Before approving the calendars, GCS requested feedback from parents and guardians and received more than 1,200 emails. The vast majority - 67 percent of respondents - showed support for the proposed calendars, and another 7 percent, while expressing support, also suggested the shift to an earlier start should be implemented a year later. The district also received feedback from students and staff throughout this process. GCS appreciates everyone who took the time to provide valuable feedback.
Implementing these changes now allows students to experience the most academic benefit sooner than if delayed until 2024. Additionally, to delay a year would result in the loss of two weeks during the summer of 2024. By releasing the 2023-24 and 2024-25 calendars now, the first summer will only be adjusted by one week rather than two weeks.
2023-2024 Important Dates:
For the 2023-24 school year, the last day of school before Winter Break will be Tuesday, December 19, and the first day back will be Thursday, January 4. Spring Break is slated for March 18-22, 2024. The day before Winter Break (December 19) and the last two days of school (May 21-22) will be half-days for students, remaining consistent with previous student calendars.
Other 2023-24 holidays include Labor Day (September 4), Thanksgiving Break (November 22-24), Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 15) and Presidents’ Day (February 19). In addition, students and teachers are out of school on March 29 and April 19, and the four professional development/teacher workdays are October 12-13, January 3 and March 8.
Up until this time, schools have had to determine whether to test prior to Winter Break. For those testing early, students lost additional days of instruction prior to testing, and students returned to a class they had already taken final exams for. For those testing after winter break, students took final exams after returning from an extended break when the content was not as fresh for them.
In accordance with state law, the calendar includes 180 scheduled instructional days and ten professional development/teacher workdays. Teachers will still work 190 days and have the same number of days off through the 2023-24 and 2024-25 calendars.
Because the first day of school for students is before the third Monday in August, South Carolina legislation requires that GCS operate on a “year-round modified school calendar.” Students are not attending school for 12 months of the year, and they will still have a summer. The calendar is structured in the same way as previous calendars.
The Superintendent determines the school calendar after receiving recommendations from the Calendar Committee, which receives input from parent groups and school faculties. The recommendations are also based on State requirements and factors such as required testing dates set by the State Department of Education. The Calendar Committee is composed of parents, teachers, principals and staff.
GCS Sick Policy & COVID Requirements
Parents are asked to report any Flu & COVID-19 positive test results to your student's grade level administrator or school nurse.
Parents are strongly encouraged to screen their students daily, at home, for COVID-19 symptoms (see below). If a student takes a COVID-19 test because he/she is symptomatic, the student should not be physically present in school until the test results are returned.
Keep students at home if they present with any of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing - or -
- Loss of taste or smell - or -
- New or worsening cough
Please also keep students home they are presenting with two or more of the following symptoms: headache, fatigue, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, nausea/vomiting, or diarrhea. Speak with your doctor and/or have your student get tested for COVID.
Flu/Covid Drive-through Testing Sites:
Starting Monday, November 28, there will be free, drive-through testing for both Flu and Covid-19 provided at three locations. GCS students, employees, and their household contacts can get tested. Results will be provided in approximately 1 hour. An important change from last year: parents and employees are responsible for reporting any positive results directly to the school or their supervisor. DHEC has again contracted Mako Medical to administer the testing, and the three sites are the same as last year:
- Fountain Inn High School,
- MT Anderson Support Center, and
- Northside Park.
All of the information has been updated on the GCS website, which includes flyers in both English and Spanish.
The new cashback app for families and schools is here!
When you sign up for Givebacks, you’ll earn an average of 5% cashback on your everyday purchases and our school will receive up to 1% every time you shop. Plus, we’ll receive a $5 donation for each new active supporter, so please join!
It’s as simple as adding a browser extension to your desktop and phone, and you and our school will start earning cashback. Like magic!
Sign up here: https://www.givebacks.com/causes/detail/GreenvilleMiddleAcademyPTA