Statistics on Teen Pregnancy
- United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate of the Western industrialized world.
- About 820,000 teens become pregnant each year. That means that 34 percent of teenagers have at least one pregnancy before they turn 20.
- 79 percent of teenagers who become pregnant are unmarried.
- About 3 out of 10 teen females will be victims of teen pregnancy
Statistics on Teen Pregnancy in Nebraska
- Nebraska ranked 34 out of 51 in 2011 for final teen births among females 15-19
- Age 15-17 had around 500 births in 2011
- In total age 15-19 is 1,745
Problems faced by Teen Parents
- More likely to experience premature birth, low birth weight, and disability
- Not enough education, bad jobs, and put on welfare within the first five years
- Eight out of ten teen fathers do not marry the mother of their first child.
- More likely to subject their children to abuse and neglect because they feel overwhelmed by their unfamiliar, ever-demanding roles as parents
- Children born to teen parents are more likely to drop out of high school
- Daughters born to teen parents are three times more likely to also become teen mothers, while sons are twice as likely to go to prison.