November 22, 2022
Reminder: Custer School District will not have school on Wednesday & Thursday,
Nov. 23-24 for the Thanksgiving Holiday.
All CSD Offices will be closed during the break, resuming regular hours on Mon., Nov. 28.
Happy Thanksgiving to all our staff, students, and their families!
Have a safe and wonderful break!
Free, online tutoring available for K-12 students
South Dakota students and families can access a new, online tutoring program, staffed by college students who are preparing to become teachers. The Dakota Dreams Online Tutoring Program offers FREE online tutoring to K-12 students across the state. One-on-one tutoring sessions can help students with their homework, tackle specific trouble areas, and address broader educational concepts.
Please note: In order to access the service, parents or guardians must register their students, not the school.
- The program is staffed by university students accepted into their Schools of Education at Black Hills State University and Northern State University.
- It utilizes a simple and secure online platform, where students and tutors connect for virtual sessions. The platform is a one-stop shop for scheduling and conducting sessions.
- Subject areas include: English/language arts, math, science, and social studies.
- Tutors will be available Monday through Sunday afternoons and evenings. The service will not be available on holidays and during Christmas and spring breaks.
- In order to access this free service, parents first need to register their students to use the platform. Once registered, sessions can either be pre-scheduled or on-demand, depending on tutor availability.
- The program is a joint effort of the South Dakota Board of Regents and Department of Education – administered by BOR and funded with federal dollars available to DOE through the American Rescue Plan.
Questions about this program should be directed to email@example.com.
Jr/Sr HS Announcements
- There is important information & a lot of resources for grades 7-12 students and their parents in Mrs. French's recent newsletter: https://www.smore.com/7qg95
- ASVAB will be this Wednesday, Nov. 30th. Juniors will load the bus at 8:30am. You will need your laptops and chargers.
JUNIORS & SENIORS – A few opportunities for dual credit courses that will be taught here, in-person, face to face, during the Spring 2023 semester:
- BUS 205 – Social Media Marketing – Offered 3rd hour only.
- MATH 101 – Intermediate Algebra – Offered 4th hour only – taught by Mrs. Clevenger.
- PSYC 101 – General Psychology – Offered 6th hour only.
- CJUS 201 – Introduction to Criminal Justice – Offered 7th hour only.
If you are interested in enrolling in any of these courses, please talk to Mrs. French ASAP – you must be registered no later than December 15th! There are no minimum GPA requirements. Costs will be approximately $150 per course.
- If you are planning on taking an online Agriculture course in the spring 2023, and are not taking one right now, please stop by Mrs. French’s office to make sure you are on the list to get registered!
- SENIORS – It is time to order caps/gowns. Please turn in $26.50 cash/check to the office. Deadline will be January 12th.
- ACT Prep Wednesday during 6th & 7th periods.
- ASVAB will be TOMORROW, Wed., Nov. 30th. Juniors will load the bus at 8:30am. You will need your laptops and chargers.
- ACT Prep Wednesday during 6th & 7th periods.
Clubs and Organizations:
- FCA will meet on 11/29 at 7:30am in the theatre.
- Gaming club will meet 11/28 after school in Mrs. Winkler’s room.
- There will be an FCCLA meeting during lunch on 11/29
- Auditions for One Acts will Dec. 1 after school. There will be a sign-up sheet on the theatre door. See Ms. Bowen if you have questions.
- FCCLA morning meetings every 1st and 3rd Wednesday morning 7:15-7:45 @ CHS
- Fellowship of Christian Wildcats (FCW) meets Tuesday mornings at 7:45 in the conference room.
Post-Prom is selling Wildcat Pride yard signs for $20. We have one by the office window if you would like to see it. Heather Grace is also accepting Venmo payments.
- CHS Football 2022 Awards & Dinner Banquet - Dec. 4 @ CHS ~ 5 p.m.
ACT PREP CLASS INFO
The library will be offering ACT Prep Sessions for Seniors taking the test in December. The sessions will occur on Wednesdays during 6th and 7th periods because many Seniors have free periods at that time. Those planning to take the test in December can attend sessions on November 30th and December 7th.
The sessions will take place in the High School Conference Room. Interested students should register at the library. If students have only 6th or 7th period available, they are still encouraged to attend.
Sessions for interested students of all grades during the spring semester will be on Friday mornings from February 24th to April 14th. If any students have taken the ACT already and paid for the Test Information Release, Mrs. Mertz would be glad to review test results on an appointment basis during Wildcat Time. She will analyze what areas should be focused on for improvement.
11/29 - Jr HS Gball v STM - - 4:30 & 5:30 p.m.
12/1 - CHS Wrestling - Duals w/ Gregory, Hot Springs, Harding Co. - 5 p.m.
12/1 - Custer Jr high band and choir concert - 7:00pm in the theater.
12/2 - Custer Invite - CHS Wrestling - 9 a.m.
12/5 - CHS Band and Choir Concert - 7:00pm @ CHS Theater
12/8 - MS Wrestling - Black Hills Conf. - 4 p.m. - Armory
12/10 - CHS Piano/Guitar Recital - 7:00pm - CHS Theater. There will be a variety of music performed, but a majority will be Christmas music.
CES Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Nov 29th: Student Councill meeting at 7:30 a.m. in Mrs. Webster’s room.
December 6th: Student Councill meeting at 7:30 a.m. in Mrs. Webster’s room.
December 8th: 1st & 3rd Grade Winter Concert in the Jr/Sr High Theatre at 7:00 pm
- December 19th – 29th: No school Christmas break
- Jan. 2 - School Resumes
Preschool Survey open until Dec. 16
The South Dakota Departments of Education and Social Services are conducting a survey to assist the state in understanding the current landscape of preschool education (for children ages 3-5) in South Dakota. This is the first step in a statewide study to capture valuable information about the preschool opportunities currently available to families across the state. The survey is targeted to families, teachers, and administrators. The survey will close Dec. 16.
CES Media Parade Project
The month of November has been very busy in both the library and computer lab with Mrs. May. Mrs. Wahlstrom read “Balloons Over Broadway” in every class, learning about how the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by a puppeteer. In conjunction with this book, 5th and 6th graders in media learned how to use Paint 3D and Digital Stop Animation in Google Slides. The following link is a result of the effort put in by all.
Please use the following link to access the parade. It lasts about 15 minutes. (All classes are represented in the video.)
Hornets: Upcoming Dates to Remember
The Hermosa School is selling popcorn balls to raise money to purchase pajamas for the children at the Children’s Home. We love to do a project where we give back and what better way for our children to help other children in need. So, if you would like to purchase popcorn balls, please contact me and I will get you down. They are $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00. Orders are due Nov. 30th. Popcorn balls will be delivered on Dec. 1st. Help the school help other children in need.
I will get orders to Custer & drop them off at the CSD Admin. Office (Armory Bldg.) on Thursday- if you would like to order them.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to order them or if you have questions.
- December 2nd - 5th-8th Friday Opportunity Field Trip
- December 8th - Elementary (JK-4th) Christmas Program 2:00/6:00
- December 9th - 5th-8th Friday Opportunity
- December 12th - School Board Meeting @ Hermosa 6:00
- December 13th - 5th-8th Christmas Program 2:00/6:00
- December 16th - Christmas Break Begins (No School)
- January 2nd - School Resumes
Upcoming Hornet Activities
November 29th - Wrestling @ Spearfish 4:00
November 29th - GBB @ Hermosa 4:15
December 1st - GBB @ St. Pauls 4:00
December 2nd - GBB @ Lead Cartwright Tournament TBD
December 3rd - GBB @ Lead Cartwright Tournament TBD
December 3rd - Wrestling @ RC Invite 9:00
December 5th - GBB @ East MS 4:00
December 6th - Wrestling @ Douglas 4:00
December 6th - GBB @ Hermosa 4:15
December 8th - Elementary Christmas Program 2:00/6:00
December 8th - Wrestling @ Custer 4:00
December 10th - Wrestling @ Newcastle 9:00
December 12th - GBB @ Hermosa 4:15
December 13th - 5th - 8th Christmas Program 2:00/6:00
December 13th - Wrestling @ Custer 4:00
December 15th - GBB @ Lead/Deadwood 4:00
IMPORTANT SCHOOL MEAL INFORMATION
Parent Portal is available to put money into your student meal account(s). If you need to get signed up for Parent Portal, please contact the administrative assistant at your child’s school.
To apply for Free/Reduced Meals for 2022-23, please complete the application and return to any school office or the CSD Admin. Office. Free/Reduced form & documentation are available HERE.
CSD School Board Members & Meeting Dates for 2022-23
Custer School District Vacancies
- SPECIAL EDUCATION / EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER / SPED DISTRICT EVALUATOR W/WOUT COACHING - needed full-time position in Custer. Approximately .50 FTE will be teaching Special Education Early Childhood, .50 FTE will be evaluating students throughout the district, ages birth through grade 12, starting immediately. Salary DOE. SD Special Education Teacher Certification, with Early Childhood Endorsement required. Will work according to school calendar; 4-day school week. Interested applicants must complete the online application, and will need to submit copies of transcripts and SD Teacher Certificate; and 3 current letters of recommendation. EOE. Open until filled. Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154.- Apply Online: https://www.applitrack.com/bhssc/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.asp?AppliTrackJobId=3649
Current CSD teachers, interested in the vacancy above, are encouraged to submit a letter of interest to Supt. Naugle email@example.com by the internal deadline of 4pm on 11/29/22. A current CSD teacher is not required to complete the online application process.
- CHS Head Football Coach - starting stipend $4,202. Current employees send letter/email of interest to Supt. Mark Naugle firstname.lastname@example.org Others must complete application apply online https://www.applitrack.com/bhssc/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.a sp?AppliTrackJobId=3352
- CHS Assistant Football Coach - starting stipend $2,802. Current employees send letter/email of interest to Supt. Mark Naugle email@example.com Others must complete an application
- CHS Assistant Track Coach - starting stipend $2,802. Current employees send letter/email of interest to Supt. Mark Naugle firstname.lastname@example.org Others must complete an application https://www.applitrack.com/bhssc/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.a sp?AppliTrackJobId=3352
- Jr High Track Coach - starting stipend $1,751. Current employees send letter/email of interest to Supt. Mark Naugle email@example.com Others must complete the application https://www.applitrack.com/bhssc/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.asp?AppliTrackJobId=3352
- SUBSTITUTE CLEANERS - needed at all schools. Must complete CSD classified application packet and complete a criminal background check. $13.50/hr DOE.
- SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS - needed at all schools. Must complete CSD substitute application packet, submit proof of highest level of education, and complete a criminal background check prior to starting. Contact the CSD Admin. Office for a packet, or apply online at CSD.k12.sd.us, which will include the fingerprint/background check materials. Minimum requirement, HS graduate. Pay range $90/day-$115/day. Retired CSD Teachers start at $115/day.
- CONTACT INFORMATION
Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730. PH: 605.673.3154 FAX: 605.673.5607, Mon.-Thurs., 8:00-4:30 p.m., or Fridays, 8 a.m.- 1 p.m. Current CSD employees interested in a position must submit a letter of interest to Mr. Mark Naugle, Supt. of Schools. All other interested applicants must complete a CSD Job Application available at the address above or at www.csd.k12.sd.us. EOE.
The Custer School District 16-1 does not discriminate on the basis of race or color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion and creed, military/veteran status, or marital status, in admission or access to or treatment or employment in its programs and activities: and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For inquiries concerning the District’s compliance with Title VI or the Age Discrimination Act please contact the Superintendent of Schools, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154; for Title IX please contact the Activities Director, 1645 Wildcat Lane, Custer, SD, 57730, (605)673-4473; or for Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) act please contact the Special Education Director, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154. For further inquiries contact the South Dakota Regional Office for Civil Rights, Kansas City Office, U.S. Dept. of Education, One Petticoat Lane, 1010 Walnut Street, Suite 320, Kansas City, MO, 64106, phone (816) 268-0550, TDD (800) 877-0599, Fax (816) 268-0559, e-mail: OCR.KansasCity@ed.gov
Gratitude is the Best Attitude!
When you smile, your brain releases tiny molecules called neuropeptides to help fight off stress.
We take this opportunity to express our thankfulness for our staff, our students and their families, and our community.
Custer Youth & Alumni Foundation
CUSTER YOUTH & ALUMNI FOUNDATION
We are a local, not-for-profit organization made up of people just like you with one common goal: to assist the local youth and educators.
See the following for Student Scholarship Opportunities: http://www.custeryouthandalumnifoundation.com/Scholarships.htm
See the following for Teacher Grant opportunities: http://www.custeryouthandalumnifoundation.com/Grants.htm
The Mission of Custer School District is to Educate Every Student to His/Her Potential.