November 2015 Edition
Table of Contents
Skeleton Naming Poll
Thanksgiving Weekend Hours
#tbt on demand (Exploring Northwestern's History Through Pictures)
Writing Lab/Research Help
It's November. The leaves are falling, night comes sooner, and the weather is getting cooler.
We'd like to thank everyone for their efforts over midterms. The library was bursting at the seams with some students studying quietly for midterms while others worked together on group projects. It can be challenging to find a happy medium between those groups with different needs and we thank everyone for their patience as we work to find that medium.
This issue of the newsletter reveals the new skeleton name. We share information about where you can find old photographs of NWHSU's buildings, students and faculty. We let you know what the Thanksgiving hours are scheduled to be, how you can find full text articles with just a citation, and how we can help you with your final papers.
Have a wonderful fall and happy Thanksgiving.
Skeleton Naming Poll
A nervous skeleton waits for his new name
Ziggy (The Third) met with an unfortunate accident. He took a vicious header while being returned and broke his ribs, teeth, head and lost his other leg.
We purchased a replacement and instead of going with Ziggy IV, we decided to open it up to the creative minds of our student body. We like Quantum Leap* as much as the next fan but it was probably time.
*There is no evidence to suggest this is the origin of the original Ziggy's name, but we like the story.
We had wonderfully clever submissions such as The Greater Troy Chanter, Bonejamin Wolfe and Sherlock Bones, some eye-brow raising submissions such as My Ex (there's a story there), some holiday-themed submissions such as E-Boneezer Scrooge and some with interesting Urban Dictionary uses.
Your final choice, however, was Skeletor. (Actually, it was Skelator, but we went with He-Man version's spelling.)
Thanks to everyone for participating.
Speaking of Violent Ends
The library will be closed:Thursday, Nov. 26th
Friday, Nov. 27th
The library will be open:
Saturday, Nov. 28th 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 29th 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Please check the Library Facebook page and/or website for potential changes to those hours. Library hours are influenced by the building's hours.
Browse through the 45 photographs dating back to the 1940s. You may even recognize a few faces.
Digitizing old photographs is an ongoing project. Be sure to check our Facebook page every Thursday for new #tbt submissions you won't find on the Minnesota Reflections page.
Do you recognize any of the students? We'll post who the instructor is in the middle photograph on our Facebook page. Come and see if you were right.
Do you have a citation and need to find full text?
Once you find the best access point (usually the first), you can see everything that is available electronically from on and off campus if you log in.
The issues are sorted by year/volume and then issue number. If it's older than 2000 or a rare title that comes only in print, you should check for availability using our catalog. You'll have to visit the library to access those issues. Directions are on the webpage.
- Databases for your research needs.
- You can make an appointment with me, Krista, the reference and instruction librarian. I will sit with you and help you get started in your search. For best results, make an appointment in advance by emailing me at email@example.com with as much information as possible. For instance, knowing the topic in advance before the meeting gives me the opportunity to get familiar with what we can offer.
- We also offer interlibrary loans if you need something we don't have.
- Assistance in developing the format of your paper.
- Reading over your paper to make sure it flows and to catch recurring errors.
- We do not, however, fully proofread or edit your paper.
- Please make an appointment in advance. Drop-in hours are limited to the evenings and the off chance someone might be available during the day. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.