Your Weekly Update from Bennett-Hemenway Elementary School
Five Things You Need to Know
1 - SETTING GOALS IN 2023
Our Literacy Coaches have set up a bulletin board for all of the members of Ben Hem to reflect on their reading habits and set personal goals to support their reading success. Each class is voting - either as a group or as individuals - on a number of reading habits. This data is being collected and will be posted in our main hallway for all to see. The idea of making this data public and help us all do this important work.
2 - NPS SMART WATCHES AND CELL PHONES POLICY at SCHOOL
We noticed that a lot of Bobcats have returned to school with electronic devices that communicate with family members beyond the school building. Natick Public Schools has the following policy regarding student's device use at school. Please be familiar with this policy. We will reach out to families directly if we notice that it is not being followed.
Cell phones and other personal electronic devices are a distraction to the learning environment in the Natick Public Schools.
As such, the following regulations will apply:
All electronic devices and components must be turned off and not visible during the school day, Any contact between parent/guardian and child must occur through the office.
Electronic devices necessary for an educational purpose may be used under the direction and with the approval of the supervising teacher/staff member.
Violators of this policy will have these items confiscated and turned in to their administrator. Repeat violations will result in the device being held in the office for an extended period, or return of the device only to a parent/guardian.
Refusal to comply with the requests of teachers and/or administrators is insubordination and subject to more severe disciplinary action.
Phones may not be used as cameras, clocks, calculators, calendars or any other device that may violate previously stated rules. Texting during the school day is strictly prohibited.
- At the high school level all electronic devices including, but not limited to, cell phone, ipod, itouch, mp3 players etc. must be turned off and not visible in all academic wings (the A Wing, B Wing, S Wing, N Wing) and all classroom spaces (including gymnasiums and fields, auditorium, library, etc). Cell phones may be used responsibly in any non-academic area during non-class time (for example, the cafeteria, front office hallway, etc.)
- In addition, all electronic devices shall not be used in any bathrooms in the school regardless of the location.
- Any inappropriate use of an electronic device for example, taking unauthorized or improper pictures or offensive texting in any part of the school will result in detention, suspension and/or possible police involvement.
3 - INTENT TO ENROLL IN KINDERGARTEN
Do you know a child who will be five years of age by August 30, 2023? If so, they are eligible to attend kindergarten next year. Families are invited to complete this for to share their intent to enroll in public school for next year. This will make sure that we include you in all the onboarding activities that take place in the spring. To access the Google form you can type this into your browser: https://bit.ly/33KZWvQ
4 - LABEL, LABEL, LABEL
A lot of our Bobcats leave things behind each day. This is a friendly reminder to label all belongings that you send to school with your students. If items are labeled, we can return them to their rightful owners. Grab a sharpie and write your student's name on items (gloves, hats, coats, boots, water bottles, etc.).
5 - AM DROP OFF AND PM LIVE CAR PICK UP
We are fortunate to have Lisa, our Crossing Guard, in our crosswalks each morning and afternoon to help our students cross East Evergreen safely. Please be sure to follow her directions when she is guiding traffic to support a safe transitions to and from Ben Hem. The bus loop cannot be blocked during either of these transitions. Please wait until you can clear the bus loop opening before pulling forward.
REMINDER: PLAY DATES, BIRTHDAY PARTIES, AND MORE
Did you know our PTO creates a school directory each year to share contact information with families that OPT-IN to the directory. Complete this form with information you want shared to be included in the 2022-2023 School Directory. This is voluntary and only information included will be published.
- Title I: Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title II
- Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title VI
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964Title IX
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- MGL, Ch.76, Section 5: Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 76, Section 5