The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 27/October 4, 2020
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.
As always, this playlist is a menu of choices. Pick the option or options that work best for your family to help you all better understand the message of this week's liturgy.
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/100420.cfm
- "What Happens When I Talk to God: The Power of Prayer for Boys and Girls" by Stormie Omartian
- "The Monks Daily Bread" by Sylvia Dorham
- " In the Candle’s Glow" by Elizabeth Crispina Johnson and Amandine Wanert
Articles for Parents: "5 Ways to Improve Your Prayer Life" by Emilie Callan https://saltandlighttv.org/blogfeed/getpost.php?id=79601
Blog Post for Teens: How to Start Talking to God: https://lifeteen.com/blog/prayer-101-start-talking-god/
- Write a prayer for your family! It can be a prayer of gratitude, a creed of what you believe or a prayer asking for God's blessing. It doesn't have to have a certain format; just use your authentic thoughts to share your message with God!
- Create a prayer jar out of materials around your house; every day, write a prayer on a piece of paper and add it to the jar
- We often learn best when we write things out. Write out one of our traditional prayers you are having problems memorizing such as the Our Father or the Hail Mary!
- St. Francis, whose feast day is today, October 4, wrote a prayer about being the instrument of peace. There is so much happening in our world right now. Write a prayer asking God to use you, as a force of good, to bring positive change to the world.
- Pray for our world this week. Pray this Peace Prayer of St. Francis every night as a family:
- Pray with this song! https://youtu.be/IAdouAceLYI
- Take a walk in your neighborhood or community and stop at various places to pray for the people there..Passing a firehouse? Pray for their safety / Passing a government building? Pray that they might be servant leaders/ Passing a school? Pray for students and teachers to open their minds to the challenges this year might present, etc. OR take the nature prayer walk below!
- Pray together this prayer for challenging times: Franciscan Prayer of Discomfort: https://www.paulistcenter.org/a-franciscan-prayer-may-god-bless-you-with-discomfort/
- On this final weekend of the Season of Creation, pray together for our earth:
- Make a set of prayer prompts for family time, bedtime and mealtime! https://www.meetpenny.com/2013/08/free-printable-prayer-prompt-cards-for-kids-linky/
- Create a prayer wall in your home. Follow this link for ideas: https://www.projectinspired.com/4-must-try-prayer-wall-ideas-for-your-room/
- Use popsicle sticks to write the lines of prayers you want your child to learn. Encourage them to put the "puzzle" together in the correct order!
- Have an autumn campfire and enjoy the prayer below together as you create s'mores!