MJS Class of 2016
A Newsletter for All Things 8th Grade
Week of May 2, 2016
Magical Mystery Tour!
Friday, April 22, 2016
Dear Parents of Fellow Travelers,
The “Wiz” is in the book, what a fantastic experience for us all. Our Class of 2016 did an incredible job and once again demonstrated why we are so proud of them. Now it is time to bring the class together as part of a very special MJS tradition.
The 8th grade trip, AKA the “Magical Mystery Tour” will take place Wednesday, May 4th – Friday, May 6th . Students should arrive at MJS at 6:30am on Wednesday, May 4th and we will leave shortly by bus for our state Capitol in Sacramento. Students should arrive with only a school-sized backpack packed for the trip and disposal bag lunch.
We want to keep the trip simple so only one backpack is allowed per student and we have limited space on the bus. We ask that students be picked up in front of the school on Friday May 6th . The chaperones for the trip will be: Mr. & Mrs. Gill, Mrs. Byrne, Ms. Danni, Ms. Villarreal and Mr. Garcia.
In order to defray the cost of the trip for the School, we ask parents to send $150 for each child. We want to have a great trip with the kids and are mindful of keeping costs as reasonable as possible. Our desire is that each student has the opportunity to join us for this culminating trip. We understand that this time of year involves extra expenses for families and if there is an issue with this cost, or any other grade eight expense, please let Mr. Gill know as soon as possible. Please send checks made out to “Mayfield Junior School” to the Business Office labeled 8th Grade MMT Trip by Friday, April 29, 2016.
Sacramento, California – Hyatt Regency
Wednesday, May 4:
Bus to Sacramento
Students bring their your own bag lunch and water
Visit to Cathedral of Blessed Sacrament
Dinner Provided – The Old Spaghetti Factory
IMAX Theater - The Jungle Book
Thursday, May 5:
Visit Capitol, Tour of the Governor’s Office
Lunch on their own in Old Sacramento
Visit Old Sacramento – Museums optional
Dinner Provided – Fat City
Friday, May 6:
Depart Sacramento around 10:00 for trip home
Subway sandwich on bus
Estimated arrival at MJS between 3:00 -4:00
1209 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-US
Emergency Contact with chaperones is always available through the Mayfield Junior School front office during school hours. CALL MS. DANNI’S MJS PHONE NUMBER 626-796- 2774 EXT 2223. ALL CALLS WILL BE FORWARDED TO HER CELLPHONE.
Each student will be allowed: ONE Backpack tagged with name, this is not a fashion show!!
Students need to bring the following essential items:
Clothes for two days - A sweatshirt or lightweight jacket
Jeans/Shorts, Tops, Tennis Shoes/Flip Flops/Hat, Sleepwear
Toiletries (toothbrush/paste, deodorant, SUNSCREEN, etc.)
ALL MEDICATIONS SHOULD BE CLEARLY LABELED with dosage directions AND GIVEN TO Ms. Villarreal.
BREAKFAST, DINNER and lunch on Friday are included in the cost of the trip. STUDENTS WILL NEED CASH for lunch on Thursday in Old Sacramento, as well as any “extras” students wish to purchase such as museum entrance -$5.00. This is also not a shopping trip! Please be mindful not to send any belongings of significant value that could be lost or misplaced. Again, we want to keep this trip as simple as possible.
The costs for bus travel, hotel accommodations, Imax Theater, Capitol Tour, breakfast and dinner are included as part of the trip.
We will be in touch with Lisa Evans/Rebecca Reed about our ETA on Friday.
We are looking forward to a wonderful time together.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Ms. Danni.
626-796- 2774 x 2223
Blessings to all…
Joseph J. Gill
From Mrs. Kelley-Lossada...
Morning Prayer is the most important part of our day. Please show up on time and proceed immediately to the prayer area as soon as you hear the bell.
But what should I do if I am dropped off after 8am?
All students: If you arrive after the 8:00am bell, please proceed DIRECTLY to Morning Prayer without stopping first at advisories/homerooms. Take your items with you to the prayer area.
Field Trip to City Hall: Tuesday, May 3
Field Trip to Homeboy Industries
We had a meaningful day at Homeboy Industries on Tuesday. We had tours led by the "Homies" and a discussion with Father Greg Boyle. Thank you to Mrs. Prietto for organizing!
Friday Families: Reaching Out
End of Year Events
- May 25: Reach Out Assembly 1pm GYM – Don’t miss the best Assembly in the 9 years you’ve attended MJS. Watch as before your eyes your kindergartener transforms into a well-spoken, humble, smart, caring, philanthropic, young man/woman prepared and ready to launch into the next phase of their lives. (Tissues are recommended)
- May 26: Sports Awards 12pm GYM
- June 1: Baccalaureate Mass- 5pm in the GYM - Recommended day to spend with family and friends celebrating your soon to be graduate. Attire - Girls - a dress/skirt and Boys nice pants and a button-down shirt or collared shirt (sweater/sports coat optional).
- June 3: NO SCHOOL - Graduation -4pm GYM - (kids to arrive by 3pm) Party Following at Annandale Golf Club - Try to keep extended family and friends to a minimum as this event was designed for the kids and parents to celebrate together. FYI for first time parents - the girls tend have a change of clothes for the graduation party - remind them they will be on the lawn so shoes without a pointy heal are recommended. Boys wear their concert dress attire that they wore to Graduation. You should be receiving your invitation in the mail soon which includes all the details for the tickets to the Graduation party.
The Wiz on Tour!
We look forward to performing for schools and community organizations that we have a relationship with, but were unable to make it to the show. Please let Mrs. Byrne know if you are able to drive to one of our performance locations.
Tuesday, May 17
- St. Francis Center (6:45am-9am)- just a few volunteers will do a concert version of the show for our friends who come to the Center for breakfast.
- Dolores Mission School (11am-2pm)- each cast will perform a concert version of the show for two separate audiences. We will wear Wiz shirts (no costumes or make-up).
Thursday, May 19
- Our Lady of Guadalupe School (10:30am-12pm)- both casts will do a concert version of the show together. We will wear Wiz shirts (no costumes or make-up).
Thank you to Ms. Martinez de la Torre for all the beautiful production photos! Click here to see the slideshow. A video of both the White and Blue casts will be distributed to all 8th graders at the Graduation party.
The students in the yearbook elective are planning on putting together a digital album and need photos from the MJS community!
If you have any photos taken on a camera or smart phone, please click on this link http://tinyurl.com/mjscommunityphotos
You'll be taken to a page where you can upload photos to our MJS yearbook gallery and help us capture all events from April until June.
The Yearbook Elective
LET'S GO MUSTANGS!
Please come and support our Mayfield Mustangs! Here is what's coming up this week, for the complete season schedule, please visit the "MJS Athletics" page on the parent portal.
MAY 2: Boys Baseball
Start 3:00 PM
MAY 3: Boys A Volleyball Team
Start 3:00 PM
vs High Point
MAY 3: Girls Softball Team
Start 3:00 PM
vs High Point
MAY 3: Boys B Volleyball Team
Start 4:00 PM
vs. High Point
MAY 4: League Swim Meet
Start 1:00 PM
Ends by 3:00
Have you followed us on Twitter yet? @MJSAthletics It's a great way to get up-to-date game results!
Congratulations to our Outstanding Golfers!
Studio MJS Student Raffle
The Studio MJS Student Raffle starts this week! Tickets will be sold during recess and lunch Thursday, April 28, Friday, April 29,Monday, May 2 and Tuesday, May 3 with the much anticipated drawings on Wednesday, May 4 at Morning Prayer.
Raffle tickets are only $1. Don’t miss out on an all of the great opportunities. Lead the school as Headmaster for the Day, Lower School Director for the Day, PE Teacher for the Day or you might discover the next bestseller as Librarian for the Day. You can win lunch with “Wolfe Pack” and beat them at a game of corn hole or be a classroom or advisory hero and win a Jamba Juice or pizza party for everyone! And new this year, we are raffling an Urban Outfitter’s record player and an Ion disco ball blue tooth speaker.
So Boogie Down and buy your raffle tickets and wait to hear your name announced next Wednesday at Morning Prayer.
The big night is just under two weeks away! Have you reserved your spot at the party? RSVP today!
Mayfield Senior School Orientation
Mayfield Senior School's Orientation is on Wednesday, May 4. They realize that students will be on a trip, however, they encourage parents to attend the orientation.
Wednesday, May 4
4:30 pm Booster Club merchandise sale
5:00 - 6:00 pm Reception
6:00 - 7:00 pm Orientation
6th Grade Shake Post #3
Here is 6th Grade’s final installment of Shake Post! Please read it for tips for staying safe during Earthquakes. Below the newsletter are five Public Service Announcements 6th grade students made about the importance of being prepared!
Earthquake PSA: Are You Prepared? https://youtu.be/CJvnKkAwJ8k
Earthquake PSA: Even Zombies Need Supplies https://youtu.be/DXBVc0YiAhg
Earthquake PSA: Drop, Cover, & Hold! https://youtu.be/5JZhd7NbJhg
Earthquake PSA: Escape Route https://youtu.be/zqocE-_9BTQ
Earthquake PSA: Secure your Structure https://youtu.be/IZV0y7T-fEo
Things to Look Forward to...
- Tuesday, May 3: Field Trip to City Council (Bring money for lunch and cancel CA Fresh)
- May 4-6: Magical Mystery Tour
- May 7: Benefit - Studio MJS
- May 13-19: Arts Week: The Wiz on Tour
- May 25: Reach Out Assembly 1pm GYM
- May 26: Sports Awards 12pm GYM
- May 27: Pancake Breakfast/Blue & White Day
- May 30: NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day
- June 1: Baccalaureate Mass- 5pm in the GYM
- June 2: Half Day - Last Day of School
- June 3: NO SCHOOL - Graduation 4pm GYM, Graduates arrive at 3pm
8th Grade Advisory Team
Lisa Byrne, Advisor, Play Director, and Co-Team Leader (email@example.com)
Chris Goethals, Advisor and Secondary School Liaison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Juan Garcia, Advisor and Student Council Leader (email@example.com)
Ruth Villarreal, Advisor and Athletics Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)