February 22 - February 26
A Note from the Principal
Dear Langston Hughes Family,
Welcome back! I hope that you are safe and warm. We have had a REAL winter this year. As we return from the break I ask that you commit yourself to parent involvement. On Wednesday at 6:30pm we will have our monthly PTA Town Hall meeting. The details will be posted on Class Dojo by 12:00pm Wednesday afternoon. On March 1 Chancellor Richard Carranza will make a virtual visit to our district. We would love for our school to be well represented in that meeting. You can register for the event at https://learndoe.org/cec/. Once you register send me a message in Class Dojo so I can look for you in the meeting. The class with the highest percentage of parents in attendance will earn a prize.
It is proven that students are most successful when the school and home work in partnership. Let's concentrate the remainder of this year on keeping the home-school connection strong.
Stay safe and healthy!
Let it Snow!
African American History Month Spirit Week
- Politicians, Activists, and Educators: Tuesday, February 23
- Scientists, Inventors, and Doctors: Wednesday, February 24
- Artists and Performers: Thursday, February 25
- Athletes: Friday, February 26
We look forward to seeing your creativity in action. Do it for the culture!
FOR FIFTH GRADE FAMILIES
Middle School Applications
Jasa East Flatbush Senior Center
650 Remsen Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11236
Brooklyn Faith SDA Church
5518 Church Avenue, 11203
347 691 0293
Soup Kitchen: Fri 12pm-3pm, or until food runs out;
Food Pantry: Thu 2pm-4pm
God's Battalion Prayer Church
661 Linden Blvd., 11203
718 774 5447 x114
Food Pantry: Tue, Thu 9am-12pm
International Pentecostal City Mission Food Program
9202-14 Church Ave., 11236
516 817 7922
Food Pantry: Sat 11am-1pm. ID required, bring sturdy bag. Blood Pressure monitoring program 1st Sat of month 10am-12pm, Numerous other health services - call for info. Services and programs for: SNAP, legal assistance, eviction prevention, HEAP, SBS, job training, GED, SAT, teen programs, counseling, immigration assistance, seasonal tax prep, and adult social services.
Beyond Hunger Food Pantry/CAMBA Inc.
21 Snyder Ave, 11226
718 282 3082
Food Pantry: Tue, Thu 10am-1pm.
Please bring ID to enter the building and reusable bags after first visit or shopping a cart. We serve anyone in need of emergency food. Can visit once per month - 1st week last names A-F, 2nd week last names G-L, 3rd week last names M-S, 4th week last names T-Z. Please always call our food program before visiting us for the most updated information.
Our Lady of Refuge Pantry
2020 Foster Ave., 11210
718 434 2090
Food Pantry: Wed 10am-1pm. Bring photo ID
Bread of Life Food Pantry
781 East 93rd Street, 11236
347 955 4403 Food Pantry: Sat 1pm-3pm. ID required
Canarsie Cluster Food Pantry (Our Lady of Miracles)
757 E. 86th St., 11236
347 400 7141
Food Pantry: Sat 10am-11:30am. ID required.
Salvation Army Brownsville Corps
280 Riverdale Avenue, 11212
718 345 7050 x4026 Food Pantry: Mon-Thu 9am-12pm, 1:30pm-4pm. Fri by appointment. Photo ID, proof of address and proof of income required for registration.
Urban Strategies Inc
61-71 Riverdale Avenue, 11212
718 346 2118
Food Pantry: Tue 8am-10am.
Photo ID required. Emergency food available
Mt. Hebron Food for Life Pantry
167 Chester St., 11212
646 220 1826
Food Pantry: Sat 9am-10:30am.
Photo ID required.
St. James Holiness Church
89 Legion St, 11212
718 723 0138
Food Pantry: Thu 10am-11am.
Photo ID required
Society of St. Vincent de Paul at Saint Catherine of Genoa Church
520 Linden Boulevard, 11203
718 282 7162
Food Pantry: Thu 10:30am-1:30pm.
Dates to Remember
- February 22 - Remote Monday and asynchronous learning resume after mid-winter recess
- February 23 - In person and remote learning resume after mid-winter recess
- February 23-February 26 - African American History Month Celebrations
- February 24 - PTA/Town Hall Meeting at 6:30pm
- March 3 - Half-day 11:00am dismissal
- March 3 - Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences 12:30pm-2:30pm and 4:30pm-7:00pm
- March 29-April 2 - Spring Recess
- February 22 - Remote Mondays: Asynchronous learning; limited access to teachers
- February 23-February 26 - In person instruction Tuesday through Friday
- March 1 - Remote Mondays: Asynchronous learning; limited access to teachers
- March 2-March 5 - In person instruction Tuesday through Friday