Collaborating and Problem Solving to Change the World
Happenings - February 2018
It is with great pride that we announce that Chipeta has yet again earned the distinction of being a John Irwin School of Excellence. The John Irwin awards are given to schools that demonstrate exceptional academic achievement over time. These schools received an Exceeds Expectations rating on the Academic Achievement indicator of the School Performance Frameworks reflecting exceptional performance in Math, English Language Arts, and Science.
Chipeta is an excellent school - not only for our consistent high achievement. Chipeta is a caring, giving, inclusive, and safe community. Students have myriad opportunities through which they learn, grow, and thrive.
We are proud of our students, families, teachers, and staff. Chipeta truly is a great place to learn and grow!
Did you know . . .
- that almost 200 people visited our library during Winter Break - reading together and checking out books.
- we have over 40 5th graders engaged in Battle of the Books - a regional competition where students read 40 books and then compete in teams of four to answer questions about the books. On February 2nd, we had our school competition to find our three teams that go to regional and district battle. Congratulations to all of these students!
- that all of our students are learning to code.
- our 5th graders will lead our Family Read Night on Thursday, March 8th.
Time, Talent, and Technology Enabled
What does this look like?
Learning to Code
All Chipeta students are learning to code. Students choose to work collaboratively on the interactive board, use an iPad, or use a computer. Students progress the an Hour of Code and then explore different options.
Students in 5th grade access documents in Office 365. They share their work with their teacher or with classmates for shared writing or editing.
Students in many grades collaborate in their learning - with or without technology. In this example, students work together to discuss a text and to craft a written response to reading.
Learning to Code
Chipeta . . .
- is an inclusive community in which children are nurtured and challenged to become learners now and for the future.
- where students are self-directed learners collaborating, taking risks, and problem solving to change our world.
- strives to balance all of the competencies as we set high standards and levels of achievement and growth for all students.