School Counseling Update
Academic, Career, & Social Emotional Development resources
- Childhood Stress: How Can Parents Help Article defining stress & tips to help students.
- 4-H Pinckney Leadership Conference- open to current 9th & 10th graders.
●Weeklong experience at Clemson University learning how to become a stronger leader, a positive role model, and an inspiration to other youth.
●June 18-24th & July 10-16 providing 2 opportunities for high school youth to participate. Registration closes on Friday, March 31
- Charleston Civil Rights & Civics - open to current 9th graders. FREE Source of education on civil rights history & our democracy that will allow students to better understand each other & become life-long active citizens. Flyer attached below. July 31-Aug 4
- Additional resources for families and students can be found on the SOA website. Family Resources Social/Emotional Resources
- WIN Ready 2 Work Career Readiness Assessment - March 31- ALL 3rd year high school students.
- MAP Testing - 6th-8th graders April 5 & 6
- Check the SOA website homepage for all upcoming test dates.
- Junior Parents & Students Post Secondary Info Night- March 29 - 6pm-7:30pm - SOA Media Center - See the Flyer linked below.
- Clemson University, the College of Charleston and the University of South Carolina will host our annual student information sessions virtually on March 28, 29 and 30. All sessions will be conducted via Zoom Webinar and will begin at 6:30 p.m. EDT. High school juniors and their families are invited to learn more about our three schools as they prepare for the college search process. For more information or to register for an event, students can go to sc.edu/admissions/infosession
- Twenty Pearls Foundation of Charleston, Inc scholarships- Deadlines April 17. List linked below.
- Meeting Street Scholarship Fund - $10,000 annually! LIFE Scholarship or Palmetto Fellows eligible AND Pell Grant AND planning to attend an eligible SC College/University. $40,000 TOTAL!!! Details and FAQ VIDEO
- There is a long list of scholarship opportunities listed on the SOA website, mostly for Seniors, but a few for underclassmen. This page is updated each week. https://www.ccsdschools.com/domain/1976
- 2023 Summer Youth Internship Program - Charleston County- Ages 16-21; work June 16-July 27 & earn $15/hr, for 20hours/wk.
- Firefighter training - No experience - 18 years old by the July start date; 26 week program. Application deadline=May 5.
- Lowcountry Advanced Manufacturing Institute - current 8th, 9th, & 10th graders. June 12-16 or July 10-14. Enrollment deadline - April 30.
- The CCSD Summer Career Exploration page has over 50 opportunities listed and available for students are various ages. Check it our regularly for options for your students this summer.
- Events and resources for Career Development available on the SOA website.
SOA School Counseling Department
The mission of Charleston County School of the Arts Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive school counseling program that empowers all students while embracing their individual artistic differences. In partnership with administrators, teachers, parents, and key stakeholders, school counselors provide a continuum of support for academic achievement, career and personal/social development; simultaneously, preparing all students to compete in a global economy and make a positive contribution to our community.