Case- Theodore Reskin
Theodore has always had a passion for internet video games, and after graduating college he was failing to find a job. He started to do nothing but play his games. Ever since high school he had a special connection with the character Garth from his game. It became apperant that he had Schizophrenia when he was sent to the store by his mom, and returned with nothing on her list. Garth had overpowered moms list, by telling him what to get and what not to get. When he doesn't really even exist. He even started to play his game in his head, he became disconnected from the real world.
We came to the consensus that he has a disorder know as Paranoid Schizophrenia. This was based on a few major points in the case study. One being Garth began to tell him what to buy and not not to buy, when he is only a video game character and does not really exist. He also started to play his game and make his next move all in his head. It came to the point where it started to interfere with his daily tasks. He was unable to make the difference between reality and fiction, it became distorted. His character "watched and directed his every move", these are all the main points that lead us to the conclusion of schizophrenia.
- The cancer of mental disorders.
- It is the most disabling and chronic.
- It is catorgorized as a psychosis.
- A type of mental illness in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined.
- Varies in severity from person to person.
- Paranoid Schizophrenia is the most common.
- Typically begins taking affect in early adulthood.
- Sudden change in personality and behavior, this is when a Schizophrenic loses touch with reality
- 1.1% of population over 18 suffer from it.
- 2.2 million people-USA
- 6-12 million China
- 285,000 thousand-Australia
There are several paths to take for treatment. Some are unconventional such as Electroconvulsive therapy. However there are much more traditional ways such as being prescribed medication, such as pills. There is also therapy, likely to be psychotherapy. For all the people out there who are all about self remedies there is options for them too. These are likely to be smoking Marijuana and self-help group therapy.