Eastlake Middle School 4.9.18
The Week at a Glance
We have a busy two weeks coming up in addition to future planning (I am repeating several items). Here is a preview of the weeks ahead:
1. On April 10th, there will be a Coffee with the Principal. We hope you will join us on this particular day as we will discuss the new mission statement of the school as well as updates on a variety of topics including lunch lines, shading structures, etc. We hope to see you at 8:30 AM in the library. We will have district officials visiting.
2. From April 9th to the 13th, we will be promoting safety week with a focus on key safety drills. We will alert the students and community about the nature of the drills. Our goal is to be ready in the event of an emergency.
Wednesday April 11th
1st -- Lockdown (15 Mins)
2nd -- Secured Campus (5 mins)
3rd -- Earthquake (5 mins)
Thursday April 12th
4th -- Fire Drill (15 mins)
Nutrition Break -- Lockdown (5 mins)
5th -- Clear Room (Buddy A is clearing and B is supporting) (5 mins)
6th -- Clear Room (Buddy B is clearing the room and A is supporting) (5 mins)
3. From April 16th to May 11th, we will be involved in state testing. We will test in the subject areas (English, math and science). We do encourage your students to bring their own headphones (cannot be wireless). We believe that testing is just one aspect of a holistic approach to reviewing student achievement data.
4. If you are an 8th grade parent whose child will be attending Eastlake High School, don't miss out on Future Titan Night. See the flyer below.
5. If your student would like to report incidents of bullying, please have them see their counselor or AP or email them. There is also an anonymous bully box near the nurse's office where students can report incidents. We will work on a possible electronic system for the future. We want to make sure all students have a voice and know that they have adults who will intervene on their behalf or other students.
6. Save the Date: Promotion Ceremony (June 5th at 5:00 PM at Otay Ranch High School). There will be tickets distributed to all parents.
7. HELP! The Eastlake Education Foundation is sponsoring the Cycle Eastlake event coming up in May. The Eastlake Foundation is a great source of support for our school community. We hope you consider joining the ride, sponsoring the event or volunteering. See the flyers below.
I hope to see you at Coffee with the Principal. I will be meeting with student senators this Thursday. Encourage your students to voice their questions and/or suggestions.
Our New Mission and Core Beliefs!
We would like your feedback...
"The Eastlake Middle School community will provide a positive and safe school culture where each student is empowered to grow emotionally and develop academically leading to resiliency and life-long success."
Here is the link for the survey --> Mission Statement Survey
Teaching. We believe each teacher understands that they too can grow in their practice and thus engage and participate in productive collaboration regarding practice. Learning. We believe all students should be provided with a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum that prepares students for college and career opportunities. We believe that each student should have access to a wide variety of support systems. Culture and Climate. The Eastlake Middle School community will promote an inclusive environment that celebrates diversity.
Community Connections. We believe parents and community members should be positive partners in the academic and social-emotional success of each student.
4. Growth Mindset
8. Parent/Student Selection