"It's a beautiful day to save lives" By:Kat Maloney 9th hour
About Being a Surgeon
- Operate on patients
- Diagnose diseases
- Treat injuries
- Usually work in a hospital
- It combines teaching, learning, and researching
- Centers around patient care
- You can form long term relationships with patients and their families
- You will usually work in an OR (operating room)
- You could operate on transplants
- You will you use a variety of tools
- You will get paid very good money, on average a surgeon $130,000 a year, you wouldn't have to worry about bills, or taxes
- There is a variety of sub specialties available, there are many areas of surgery you could work in(neurological, cardiovascular, orthopedic)
- Saving lives, while being a surgeon the patients lives is in your hands, and saving a life seems pretty exciting
- Long hours, when you're a surgeon you usually have to work 48 hours at a time, so you have to get a lot of rest, and try not to sleep while you're working
- The education and training is lengthy, you have to take 11-16 years of training and education, it's very long
- You are responsible for the life of a patient, that could cause high stress, the life of this patient is in your hands
High School Classes
- Biology, biology is the study of living organisms, so if your going to be operating on a person you will need to take lots of biology classes
- Anatomy, anatomy is concerned with the bodily structure of living organisms, you will need to learn about anatomy or take AP anatomy classes in high school to become a surgeon
Concordia University-St. Paul Minnesota
901 8th St. S.
Moorhead, MN 56562
Marquette University-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1250 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: (800) 222-6544
Purdue University-Fort Wayne Indiana
Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-7570
Associations and Organizations Information
American College of Surgeons
633 N Saint Clair Street
Chicago, IL 60611-3211
Toll free: 800-621-4111
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
9400 West Higgins Road
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
Phone: 847.823.7186Fax: 847.823.8125
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://36.media.tumblr.com/13a2dc7e165d724eeda33c3515060c8a/tumblr_mmjqv5lvnn1soshvwo1_1280.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/05/article-2620290-194B3CD000000578-535_634x423.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <https://images.efollett.com/htmlroot/images/templates/storeLogos/CA/281.gif>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <https://s.graphiq.com/sites/default/files/618/media/images/Marquette_University_WI_171429.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.careercast.com/sites/default/files/surgeon.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.csp.edu/wp-content/uploads/csp_v_rgb-web.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.marquette.edu/tools/images/campus-aerial.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.mnprivatecolleges.org/sites/default/files/images/colleges/Chapel_night_web.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.usnews.com/img/college-photo_11104._445x280-zmm.jpg>.
Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.usnews.com/img/college-photo_7696._445x280-zmm.jpg>.