June 10, 2019
Last Thursday we had Westview graduates, who were also former McKinley students, walk the halls lined with our students. They also talked to 5th grade students. Their stories of effort and perseverance were an inspiration!
McKinley Inquiry Night was a great success! Our 5th grade students displayed their exhibition projects. We are so proud of their learning, as well as their ideas for positive change around McKinley. We hope they continue to seek out ways to take action in and around our community. Best wishes to all our 5th grade students as they move on to middle school! Keep working hard!
On Friday, the 2nd grade classes kicked off Field Day with a Friendship Parade around the school. Field day was a success thanks to Mr. Pitner and Mrs. Barnes, along with PTM and the many volunteers who came out to help! Thank you for spending the day helping out and making it such a special day for our students!
Here are a few events happening this week:
- School-wide Awards Celebration Assembly 8:35am.
- Kinder Graduation @11:30am - May and Baldridge
- Kinder Graduation @1:00pm - Barto, Carwright, and Fritz
- 5th Grade Walk of Fame and Bell Ringing @2:30pm
We hope you have a very wonderful summer! See you next school year!
Anna Salbeda, Assistant Principal
Aki Mori, Principal
Summer Office Hours
Monday - Thursday, June 17-August 9:
Elementary (includes K-8) - Wednesdays 8:00 am - 12:00 pm (Exception is week of June 17-21, when offices will be open all day Monday-Wednesday, and closed Thursday)
- Secondary (Middle, High, Options except for K-8) - 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
BSD's Summer Meal Program
Summer Lunch at McKinley:
Dates: Monday - Friday June 18 - Aug 8
(No Lunch July 3rd, 4th & 5th)
No Breakfast Service.
Prevent the Summer Slide
Did you know that kids could lose up to three months of academic progress over the summer? This is called the "summer slide". Summer slide is when students forget some of what they have learned or slip out of practice reading during the summer months.
Here are some tips:
- Read something every day.
- Keep reading aloud.
- Keep a journal about the books you read.
Other great resources for keeping kids learning include:
- Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District Summer Camps and ClassesOpens a New Window.
- Police Activity League Summer CampsOpens a New Window.
- Summer Day Camps at the Oregon ZooOpens a New Window.
- Portland Children’s Museum Summer Camps & ClassesOpens a New Window.
- Library Summer Reading Programs:
The district has rolled out a new look to school websites. Take a look!