Room 24 News
April / May 2013
Mark Your Calendars!
- Student Council Bake Sale & Fundraiser @ recess Thurs & Fri 4/25 & 4/26. Treats for $1 each.
- Social Studies Test, Chapter 6: The Road to Statehood will be given Thursday, May 2. A study chart with attached highlighted notes will come home today.
- STAR Testing Week: May 6 - 9, 2013 (more information below).
- Our Chapter 5 Science Test will be postponed until after STAR Testing. More information to come.
- Ocean Week Art Contest Due Date: Wednesday, May 8th. (Guidelines and materials went home on Friday, April 19 - this is MANDATORY home"fun").
- MAP Testing: Reading portion held the week of May 13; Math portion held the week of May 28. Specific dates for Room 24's testing are forthcoming.
- Ocean Week: Monday, May 20 - Friday, May 24. Stacey Phillips is helping us coordinate our study of the Kelp Forest; keep an eye out for opportunities to volunteer!
- Open House/Art Show/Spring Fling: Thursday, May 23.
- Memorial Day Holiday: No school on Monday, May 27.
- Gold Medal Ceremony for Books & Beyond Reading Program: Thursday, May 30. Fourth grade time to be announced.
- Splash Lab : at-school science hands-on field trip.
- 4th Grade Field Day, Wednesday, June 12. 12:00 - 2:30pm on the field.
- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL (Wow!!) - THURSDAY, JUNE 13. 12:00pm dismissal. Report cards are sent home with your child that day.
SBSD Summer Enrichment Program
Exciting classes for incoming 5th graders include, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (make chocolate, read the novel, create a cookbook, and learn about nutrition and fitness), "Inventions" (learn how many inventions started out as mistakes, study inventors, and 'patent' your own invention!), "Lab Coat Kids" (grab your labcoat and goggles for a super science summer adventure!), "Fantastic Fifth Graders" (get a confidence boost as you prepare for 5th grade).
Room 24 Class Wish List
- graph paper loose leaf paper package (3 hole punched) (WE NEED SEVERAL....)
- paper towels
- paper plates
- paper bowls
- paper cups
STAR Testing is Coming May 6th!
Please ensure your child arrives to school on time all week. It will be very important that they get an adequate night's sleep, as well as a nutritious breakfast each day (think: balanced protein/carb/fat...NOT high sugar). Students will not have homework that week.
In math, we have been reviewing all the skills taught since the start of school by way of mini-lessons, group work (QR Codes with iPads - fun!), and independent work. Your child has been encouraged to watch portions of past Educreations lessons posted on Edmodo as a way to "dust the cobwebs off" of certain math concepts. Practice tests will be given over the next two weeks, as well. Please consider reviewing the packets your child has been working on (behind the math tab in their binder) to note any areas where your extra support is needed.
In reading/language arts, we are reviewing grammar, word analysis, vocabulary, spelling and comprehension skills. We are also reviewing literary devices found in text (simile, idiom, metaphor, onomatopoeia, alliteration, imagery, personification, hyperbole) by finding examples in children's picture books; students are then creating and will present a Keynote to their peers from their iPads.
STAR make-up testing will be held the following week: 5/13 - 5/17.