- Must be 30 years old
- Must be a resident of the U.S. for 9 years
- Must live in the state you represent
Terms of office
- Terms of office is 6 years
- Stagered elections are on even numbered years
- They set their own salaries.
- Congress has voted it's self periodic salary increases.
- The 27th amendment provents sitting congress from giving itself a pay raise.
- Prohibits them from getting payed for speaches.
- $174,000 oer year.
- Personal Clinic.
- Personal Gymnasium .
- Don't pay to send buisness things.
- Recieve allowances to pay for staff and assistants.
- Trips home are payed for.
- Phones and newsletters are also payed for.
- Have income tax deduction due to their two residencies.
- Eligible for pensions after retirement that are up to $50,00 or more a year for life.
- Free from arrest coming to or from congress.
- May judge members qualifications & decide weither to seat them. (exclusion)
- Can't be sued on the house floor.
- Can punnish fellow members due to certain behaviors & can expel a legislator by 2/3 vote.