July 12, 2020
2020-2021 Re-entry Plans
The District continues to have daily collaborative conversations regarding next
school year. We are committed to sharing what we can as soon as we can. Until then, please see the Q&As below and do not hesitate to email or call with any questions, wonderings or concerns.
1. Who is making decisions right now?
Leading the collaborative conversations is Dr. Ulrich and his cabinet; this is a collaborative effort and many voices are included in decision making.
2. What about safety, health and current best practices? Who is providing that information to the.conversation?
KSD created a Health Advisory Group to provide feedback and information to school leaders as we work on plans. The members of the group include the people listed above and the following:
● Dr. Jason Newland, Professor of Pediatrics, Infectious Diseases at Washington University
● Dr. Jeffrey Nepple, Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery Director, Young Athlete Center at Washington University
● Dr. Derek Byers, Assistant Professor, Medicine Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Washington University
● Dr. Meredith Byers, Asst Professor, Radiology Co-director Breast Health and Women's Center, Barnes Jewish St. Peter's Hospital at Washington University
● Dr. Tim Stead, Consulting Physician for KSD Dr. Kurt Sobush, Pediatric Pulmonology, Pediatrics with SSM Health Care
● Mrs. Karen Leonard, Nurse
● KSD Staff Health Personnel and all KSD Nurses
● Mike Romay, KSD Chief Financial Officer
● Dr. Shonda Ambers-Phillips, KSD Executive Director of Student Services
● Ginger Cayce, KSD Chief Communications Officer
3. When will we know plans?
The Kirkwood School District will announce plans for the 2020-2021 school year to families on July 20th. On Thursday, July 30, we will send all parents of Kirkwood students a survey link to gather additional information from you.
4. What can we know right now?
We know everyone is anxious to know what next year will look like so we can begin to plan how it will impact our day to day lives. What we know right now is decisions are being made with the guiding principles in mind. As a refresher Guiding Principles for the 2020-21 School Year include:
● Every aspect of our reopening plan will be examined and aligned through a lens of equity, wellness, inclusion, and safety
● All students/families who want in-person OR online options for school will have opportunities to do so, even if limited by social distancing guidelines
● Consistent structures, processes, and communication will be created across schools and by level
● Internal (family needs, achievement data, mental health) and external (CDC/health department) factors will be designed for flexibility so we may adapt to changing needs including cooperation with area school districts
● Energies and resources will be dedicated toward meeting the immediate needs of students, staff, and families
Summer Reading with Dr. OH
Mr. Wuffles by David Wiesner
For this book, I'm not going to read aloud to the kids. My hope is that they will make their own story for it and maybe you as parents could also make a story for it. The beauty of this book is that it allows the reader to make the narrative for the illustrations. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!
Meet & Greet Update
I am going to be pressing pause on the meet and greets until the beginning of August. I need to spend the end of July finalizing plans for re-entry with building and district staff. I will resume the meet and greet format for the first week of August. I will put a sign up genius in that week's newsletter to get signed up.
I look forward to meeting you soon!
Calling All Kindergarten Parents
Our Kindergarten registration has really slowed down, perhaps due to the closures. But in any case, we really need accurate numbers for our planning. If you have not already done so, PLEASE register your little one for Kindergarten. If you know of someone who has not yet registered, please share the info with them and as always, I am happy to talk this through with anyone. This link will give you an overview of the enrollment process and what documents you will need to have handy and will direct you to the online enrollment. Please enroll today!
Visit our school webpage to view the list of supplies your child will need.