Locust Grove Tech Tidbits
By Denise O'Brien, LMS/STC
This week I had the awesome privilege of attending OCTI - the Oldham County Technology Institute with several Locust Grove Teachers (Kelly, Ashley and Ann). What an exciting and informational 2 day professional development session it was. We each had the opportunity to visit various lab classrooms around the district and see how technology can transform learning. In each scenario, it wasn't about the "tech stuff" that the teacher or classroom had, it was HOW that technology was being used. A few take away's I had from my 2 days:
- Quality not quantity.....we may not have 1:1 here at Locust Grove but I do not feel we always take advantage of what do DO have here. It's a glass half-empty/half-full perspective. There's SO much you can do with even 1 iPad in your classroom. We have a computer lab of 30 computers to use at your disposal! Use what we have to the fullest potential!
- You have a Library Media Specialist that would be MORE than happy to come to planning sessions and help your team look and explore ways of integrating technology and using what we do have to its fullest potential. Never hesitate to ask!
- Technology doesn't change good quality BEST PRACTICE instruction. Technology can enhance, engage and motivate students but at the heart of quality technology integration is still BEST PRACTICE instruction and classroom management.
If you get a chance, I hope you all can get a chance to talk with Kelly, Ashley and Ann about some of their OCTI take-aways as well!
But here's a quick low-down on some of the apps/tech that I saw in action that I think was so POWERFUL. Some are repeats from previous Tech Tidbits and some are some new finds!
A powerfully simple tool that lets teachers collect real-time formative assessment data with out the need for student devices. Tailor instruction with instant feedback. Use Plickers for quick checks for understanding to know whether your students are understanding big concepts and mastering key skills.
Check out this video to see how easy it is to use Plickers and a great explanation of it in use!
Plickers in Kindergarten and 1st Grade
Edmodo - Snapshot
Check out this tutorial for using and implementing Snapshot in Edmodo!
- multiple new articles every day - each at 5 reading levels
- students can take quizzes and view progress
- Archive of more than 500 articles, organized by category and reading standard (common core)
- no advertisements on pages
- search for articles by News theme (war & peace, science, kids, money, law, health, arts and sports
- Or search for articles based on grade levels or reading standard