Monday, January 11, 2016
Truth, Justice, and the Charger Way!
A note from Mrs. Pistel
Happy New Year! I hope all of you had an amazing holiday season. I know I did! This month will be busy as we begin new units of study in all curricular areas. Students will be focusing on reading and writing nonfiction, learning all about explorers and colonization of the United States, and the Solar System! Students will have lots of research based projects due this quarter and I will be keeping you posted on the targets and corresponding due dates in this weekly newsletter. Again, when students have assessments in Math, Science or Social Studies, a Test Alert will go home a few days in advance! Please look for those in your child's Nightly Folder!
This month's character traits are Motivated and Hard-Working. Students are learning and hearing about this in class meetings, during Counselor Sessions, and each day during morning announcements. This has been our focus throughout the year, but it is definitely a great reminder as we begin the new semester. Thanks again for helping to make this an amazing year. I'm so excited about this next semester and know that it will be a terrific 2016!
- I can determine the author's purpose for writing nonfiction.
- I can identify nonfiction text features and use those features to comprehend nonfiction texts.
- I can read nonfiction texts to ask and answer questions.
- I can write a nonfiction story about last year's Famous Missourian to determine strengths and areas of weakness that need to be addressed during our nonfiction unit of study!
- I can publish my personal narrative!
- I can explore nonfiction texts to determine their structure and characteristics to guide my writing!
- I can recall with automaticity my basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.
- I can determine the volume of a rectangular prism using a formula.
- I can double and triple the volume of a rectangular prism by increasing the dimensions appropriately!
Word Study Targets
- I can use and spell correctly high frequency words.
- I can accurately proofread and locate the correctly spelled words in a passage.
- I can use apostrophes correctly to show possession in both singular and plural nouns.
- I can use apostrophes correctly to write contractions.
- I can read words correctly that include apostrophes.
Each unit Take Home Task will be sent home on Mondays and is due on Thursdays!
Science/Social Studies Targets
- I can identify the Six Kingdoms.
- I can distinguish the difference between plants and animals. (plants produce their own food through photosynthesis.)
- I can label the parts of a flowering plant.
- I can classify an animal as a vertebrate or invertebrate.
- I can identify an animal as a bird, fish, mammal, reptile, or amphibian.
- I can correctly label a United States Map, labeling all 50 states.(a goal for the entire year)
- I can identify the capitals of the West and Mountain states.
- I can read a map and understand how to use it answer questions about location.
- I can compare and contrast various Native American groups.
- I can create and present my quality Prezi on a Native American group.
Monday: No School, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
Items added to your student's Data Binder:
- Spelling, Units 5, 8, 9 and 10 Assessment
- Math Quiz Multiplication
- Various Reading assignments.
Please look at the data binder each week. This section of the newsletter will identify what has been added to the binder for the week.
Special Activities and Celebrations
Mark your calendar!
- Early release, Wednesday, January 13, 2016. Release at 1:00.
- No School, Monday January 18th.
Moreau Heights Elementary School
We are safe, respectful, and responsible!